Author Topic: Caffeine?  (Read 2792 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Caffeine?
« on: 13 March, 2017, 12:13:50 am »
I am allergic to tea so coffee is my brew of choice, in Huge amounts!  For easy brewing on a "stop and boil with the camping stove" situation it's either instant or coffee bags. The coffee bags leave a LOT of grounds in the bottom of the cup so it kind of spoils the pleasure.
I need caffeine, so is there any Fruity/Herby tea bag that tastes nice but still gives me a "Shot of the Caffeine"?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Caffeine?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2017, 07:55:28 am »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2017, 08:34:16 am »
Aeropress or drip filter and ground coffee in a sandwich bag?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2017, 12:45:05 pm »
I'm actually hoping to find something that takes up no extra space and is usable "As is".
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2017, 01:44:48 pm »
Aeropress or drip filter and ground coffee in a sandwich bag?

+1
We use this method. The Aeropress is actually quite small once you dispense of all the other paraphernalia that comes in the box and the coffee isn't bad at all.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2017, 02:00:41 pm »
A simple filter like this works fine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/finum-Medium-Brewing-Basket-Black/dp/B000I68NCS/
You can store it inside your mug, so its not really taking up any extra space.

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2017, 02:06:52 pm »
The AeroPress was specifically invented for making good coffee when travelling. It's made by the Aerobie company, the same people who make the original Frisbee. Their MD hated the coffee he could get in hotel rooms when travelling on business so asked the company engineers to come up with a cheap simple solution. They came up with the AreoPress.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2017, 02:30:20 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2017, 04:19:31 pm »
Here's what I do:

Caffeine?
« Reply #9 on: 13 March, 2017, 04:27:00 pm »
I also recommend Yerba Mate which contains mateine which is similar to caffeine but is released to the body gently so you don't get the jitters and spikes like some do with coffee. It has anti inflammatory properties and loads of vits and minerals. It is from the leaf of a type of ilex (holly) tree so not even close to camellia which you are allergic too. You also only need 80 degree Celsius water or it gets bitter. Quick to brew then. It tastes like a smooth, grassy green tea. Yum.

« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2017, 04:05:36 pm »

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:13:15 am »
I also recommend Yerba Mate which contains mateine which is similar to caffeine but is released to the body gently so you don't get the jitters and spikes like some do with coffee. It has anti inflammatory properties and loads of vits and minerals. It is from the leaf of a type of ilex (holly) tree so not even close to camellia which you are allergic too. You also only need 80 degree Celsius water or it gets bitter. Quick to brew then. It tastes like a smooth, grassy green tea. Yum.
That is I think what every Uruguayan carries around with them all day, every day, and drinks through a metal straw. I Have a bulls testicle yerba mate pot from the 1980s when I worked in Montevideo. Use it as a pencil pot now.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2017, 06:39:48 pm »
That is I think what every Uruguayan carries around with them all day, every day, and drinks through a metal straw. I Have a bulls testicle yerba mate pot from the 1980s when I worked in Montevideo. Use it as a pencil pot now.

That's correct. I've got a gaud mateo and SS bambisha. Not quite as manly as your testicle, but we live in tolerant times. I bet Montevideo was quite a place to be in the 80s. Fascinating.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2017, 04:09:07 am »

Coming in late but another vote for the Aeropress. I used one in my office years back when I didn't really have anything to speak of to clean stuff. I used paper towels (raided the men's room for a stack of them) to wipe my coffee cup out every day, and wipe the Aeropress out after each use. At the end of the week I took both home to be properly cleaned.

It's easy to use, doesn't take up a lot of space, is easy as anything to clean and doesn't generate much rubbish to get rid of along the way.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.