Author Topic: Expected life of a camera under consumer rights?  (Read 2416 times)

Expected life of a camera under consumer rights?
« on: 29 May, 2017, 12:56:09 pm »
I bought a Fujiflim X100T a little over a year ago and it has developed a fault with the auto white balance. The retailer has directed me to the manufacturer (and offered to forward the camera on to them for a £25 fee) saying the repair will be at my cost.

Consumer Rights legislation appears to say they should repair for free within the expected life of the product. How long is a camera supposed to last for this to apply?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Re: Expected life of a camera under consumer rights?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »
Somewhere lodged in my brane, 5 years for premium stuff (which that certainly is) was a baseline. More than 1 year, for sure.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2017, 02:49:22 pm »
I think that it's 6 years but I should check this.

Goods bought in a shop

More links at the foot of this page.

Citizens Advice

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »
Although a claim would formally be against the retailer, it might well be worth contacting Fuji direct. They may just say send it in, which will cost you far less than the 25 quoted by your retailer, and then sort it for you.

Unfortunately, today's retail model rarely runs to after sales care in any area. Retailers prefer to push everyone to the manufacturer and try to evade/avoid their legal responsibility.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2017, 03:48:23 pm »
Thanks, that's promising. I've contacted Fuji to see what they say. It's only a month out of the standard guarantee, hopefully they can sort it out.

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2017, 05:50:03 pm »
it's worth pointing out that under UK law you are supposed to deal through the retailer as that is where your contract lays.   Retailers are notorious for not training their staff and for trying very hard to dodge responsibility.

You do not have to pay for it to be sent back via your retailer, you do not have to send it yourself, you do not have to simply walk away having had a shrug from the retailer.

Having said this, if Fuji will deal with you fairly then I'd always prefer to deal with the manufacturer when they are a large international company with an international reputation.

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:29:13 am »
Consumer Rights legislation appears to say they should repair for free within the expected life of the product. How long is a camera supposed to last for this to apply?
The way I read the links from PB above is the only entitlement after 6 months is a partial refund. I would imagine for many suppliers this was more economical than even attempting a repair.  I'd tread with some caution, your idea of how much value you've had in the 12 months may be different to theirs.

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »
Fuji got back to me pretty quickly with some instructions which cured the problem. Contrary to the shop's advice which was "this is not something that can be easily fixed". My camera is now back to perfect working order. Fuji offered to help further if it still didn't work.

So top marks to Fuji, and nil points to Camaerthen Cameras. I sent them a rather sarcastic email.