Author Topic: Sporting honours  (Read 1989 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Sporting honours
« on: 23 July, 2017, 06:41:07 pm »
The programme about Gareth Edwards' 70th birthday highlighted the fact that, as an undisputed World Great, it took 30 years after Edwards retired for him to be knighted. An FB friend suggested that it will be Chris Froome's turn to be knighted after his 4th TdF win.

I had a look at people who had received knighthoods for "Services to Sport" and it brought up some interesting anomalies. Why, for example are there 10 times the number of West Indian cricketing Sirs than there are Australian ones? Why are there so many yachting knights (9) when it is such a minority sport - compared to boxing, say, in which Ennery is the only one who has been so ennobled?

A weird business, honours.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Sporting honours
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2017, 02:46:14 pm »
And sadly it is too late for John Surtees.  Shame on you, Missis Kwin (or whoever draws up the list that she signs).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2017, 03:47:46 pm »
Why, for example are there 10 times the number of West Indian cricketing Sirs than there are Australian ones?

I think it's because Australia has their own system for honouring people whereas the the countries that make up the West Indies do not.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2017, 04:00:48 pm »
The programme about Gareth Edwards' 70th birthday highlighted the fact that, as an undisputed World Great, it took 30 years after Edwards retired for him to be knighted.

That's because his knighthood was also for services to charity, not just sport.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2017, 05:54:28 pm »
The programme about Gareth Edwards' 70th birthday highlighted the fact that, as an undisputed World Great, it took 30 years after Edwards retired for him to be knighted.

That's because his knighthood was also for services to charity, not just sport.

Interesting. So was Botham's apparently. As I mentioned, some sports seem to get far more than their fair share of honours - yachting notably.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.