Author Topic: A very interestring bike  (Read 1999 times)

A very interestring bike
« on: 07 October, 2017, 07:54:00 am »
http://stringbike.com/

This looks like it could be a genuine innovation, unless they're just stringing us along

dat

Re: A very interestring bike
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:20:40 am »
Only has a 300% gear range. This wouldn't be enough for me down here in Cornwall.

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:23:57 am »
For me it looks more like "How to take something as simple as a chain and chainring, and make it infinitely more complicated".

I think the string transmission is an excellent idea for rowing bikes, where the power comes from a reciprocating motion. On a normal bike, the power comes from a rotating motion of your legs, you convert it to a reciprocating motion, and then back into a rotation of the hub??

A

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2017, 09:33:21 am »
For me it looks more like "How to take something as simple as a chain and chainring, and make it infinitely more complicated".

I think the string transmission is an excellent idea for rowing bikes, where the power comes from a reciprocating motion. On a normal bike, the power comes from a rotating motion of your legs, you convert it to a reciprocating motion, and then back into a rotation of the hub??

A

Urm.Not really. your feet go up and down, the cranks go round and round. It looks like it is lossless connection tbh

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2017, 09:44:21 am »
Apart from reliability that's what should be telling: power in vs power out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2017, 12:13:12 am »
I put a new chain on my bike last night and the transmission was silent when pedaling this morning. Even the free wheel is not particularly noisy (Shimano hubs). Whilst this looks entertaining, it's quite expensive given it's not proven.

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2017, 12:23:23 am »
What Ham did there, I (finally) see it.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2017, 05:24:55 pm »
Saw this on FB a couple of days ago.  Would be interesting to see how it performs when the string, pulleys and all those extra pivots are full of SkogTM.

If you really don't want a chain, then a toothed belt needs fewer custom bits.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rr

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2017, 10:48:30 pm »
We seem to have broken the website

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2017, 10:58:25 pm »
YACFdotted.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2017, 11:15:33 am »
Now I can see it, yes, wow! A different gear for each leg; limited audience but very useful for some (I expect).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:35:26 pm »
Loading for me now too.  Wow.  My first impression is "that's complicated", but that's probably because it's different from what I'm used to.  Lots of pivots, but really simple gearing.  Hmm.  I expect someone will find a use for it.