Author Topic: aukbnb  (Read 2959 times)

Martin

aukbnb
« on: 11 October, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »
This idea was inspired by a (legendary) rider who contacted me asking about local accommodation near an event I was running; I suggested "my spare room" as it was no problem at all for me.

I've enjoyed it on other rides several times myself either a spare room a sleeping mat on a floor space in a hall, camping behind a boat or the field outside the start, which enabled me to do an event that would either be prohibitively expensive or not possible to ride otherwise.

Assuming a lot of us have spare space and clubmates etc that could provide space, is this a feature that could be incorporated into the calendar event page? obviously it would need a bit of work for the organiser as space became available and filled up but not a huge amount.

It's just something that I think we do very well

edit; free of course!

Re: aukbnb
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:56:03 pm »
Somewhere on this Forum there is a thread where the good folk of YACF offered accommodation: I have no idea where it is and perhaps someone can resurrect it.

I think this is a better way forward than expecting the organiser to do more work in support of their events.  Basically, the organiser provides the event and might indicate if camping is available, YHA/bunkhouse nearby or even if sleeping in the start hall is possible when applicable. But I think that is enough and it is up to the riders to sort their own needs.

Perhaps if an aukbnb button was available as a general resource on the AUK site, it might have mileage (or km),  but it might also not be something that some folk would wish to be published.

Would you be interested in being a project officer for scoping the possibility of providing a general resource on the site and coordinating the information? Having such a resource based as a central function, and possibly on a geographic basis would offer opportunities without any additional work for the organisers.

Alternatively, we could use the AUK and YACF forums to list opportunities and to respond to any requests  for accommodation.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:58:37 pm »

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:05:15 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=86612.0 ?

yes I know about that; this is more about making it a limited (welcome) feature of AUK calendar events available to all

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2017, 08:24:04 am »
Are you not describing warm showers?

www.warmshowers.org

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2017, 10:14:47 am »
Are you not describing warm showers?

www.warmshowers.org
I suppose most warmshowers hosts wouldn't mind hosting audaxers but I'm not sure it's entirely in the original spirit. Rule 2:
The WSL is for hospitality for private individuals (or couples or very small groups) touring on bicycles. Please don't use it for other types of hospitality - for your large group of teenagers doing a cross-country ride, or for your large-group fund-raising event (even though it's for AIDS or cancer or some other fine cause). Please don't use it for non-bicycle travel.
https://www.warmshowers.org/faq#t27n88687

In addition, an audax-specific warmshowers-type network is more likely to be accommodating of audax-type needs, such as arriving and leaving at audax o'clock.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2017, 10:15:20 am »
No I'm not suggesting warm showers Room at the Inn etc; I'm talking about a specific bit of information on the AUK calendat page to denote that limited space would be avaialable near the start point. Not Z as that suggests that it's unlimited

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2017, 01:05:05 pm »
My wife runs a bed and breakfast from our family home and we always go the extra mile for cyclists. If any members require accommodation in Nantwich you would be more than welcomed.

http://www.milehousebarn.co.uk/
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2017, 07:07:26 pm »
All (3) of my events include a comfy floor to sleep on the night before  :thumbsup: .  When I'm retired I'll put a few more on.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2017, 07:57:12 pm »
My events with a church hall start at St Mary's have floor sleeping available; for the Winter Series and next year's 1000km, Witham Wetherspoons [The Battesford Court] don't, but do an excellent breakfast [& beer afterwards  :thumbsup:].

Floor space at home has been made available before group perms, which is manageable without causing divorce. Sometimes accommodation afterwards if the ride home is too much to face straight away...

I reckon anyone riding a fair distance to the start would be the kind of hardcore AUK who isn't shy about asking for a bed. If there's no hedge/bus shelter/church porch available  ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2017, 08:11:42 pm »
Friday night sleep over at Chalfont St Peter is happening this very night for Anfractuous riders, complete with "No Mod Cons". :)

« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2017, 04:31:55 pm »
All of the brevets I have ridden always include a listing of motels near the start, I've never had an organiser offer a floor, or shed, or chicken house to sleep in.  :'(

« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2017, 05:55:16 pm »
There is the alternative approach of a 'character' who turns up the night before demanding the organiser to provide them with accommodation. 
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:24:10 pm »
Friday night sleep over at Chalfont St Peter is happening this very night for Anfractuous riders, complete with "No Mod Cons". :)

Nomodconned it there for the third time after Willy Warmer 2015 and Anfractous 2015. As usual didn't sleep too much and spent the first part of the Anfractous in a slightly fuzzy state, but I am still very thankful for the opportunity. Sadly this time there was only three of us plus SwissHat, still managed to keep up the traditon of hydrating at the White Hart.
I set out running but I'll take my time
A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine
If I get home before daylight
I just might get some sleep tonight

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:37:07 pm »
There is the alternative approach of a 'character' who turns up the night before demanding the organiser to provide them with accommodation.

not sure if that's personal experience but yes there is the possibility, much better to be able to offer accommodation if you personally know the rider.

Events with fields outside the hall for camping the night before / after get an AUK ***** from me  :thumbsup:

the very best overnight stop during a ride I ever had was on the Irish Mail 400 perm a few years ago, booked a bunkhouse on the A5 in the middle of Snowdonia, arrived in pitch black, a few hours solid kip then got woken up with a cuppa by one of the walkers also staying there before before riding out into glorious sunshine and a stupendous view! finished the ride with about 3 mins in hand

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2017, 02:39:23 pm »
From a rider's perspective, I asked a Canadian organiser for suggestions for a hotel and bike hire near the start of his event. He offered his spare bedroom and the use of any of his bikes and picked me up from and dropped me off to the (seaplane) terminal. Above and beyond the call but much appreciated. I was a little concerned that he may have had a daughter...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2017, 05:14:19 pm »
Or a hole under his patio which needed filling.

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:58:32 pm »

just realised who you were talking about;

yes there's always one,

as you were....