Author Topic: Serge de Nîmes  (Read 5216 times)

Re: Serge de Nîmes
« Reply #25 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:57:59 pm »
I’m currently wearing Skechers Go Walk things as I’m suffering a bit with PF, but that’s purely medicinal...

I greatly prefer proper shoes or boots...

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/920631311034929154

Loake Bedales & Orvis jeans in Mulberry (not red)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:03:10 pm »
I do still own a pair of nondescript BLACK trainers (stages, for the sneaking about in the dark on), but I haven't worn them for quite some time.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:08:50 pm »
I have a pair of trainers (for the gym). I certainly wouldn't be so gauche to wear them otherwise.

What's the thing with the skinny jeans with the huge, yawning holes at each knee? Some kind of patella symbolism? I don't want to see people's nobbly bits. Not as bad as toes, admittedly. I'm staying with the ineffably elegant gradients of the neck. The back. Too many nobbles round the front.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:13:00 pm »
I assume it's a hack to make them walkable-in.

« Reply #29 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:14:06 pm »
I do have a few pairs of trainers, but I would never dream of wearing any of them with jeans. I am not a member of Run DMC...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #30 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:14:55 pm »
I’ve seen a place over here called “Trainer Pawn”, wear them a few times then sell them, so you have this weeks release?

I once bought an amp on eBay from a chap you seemed to have a sideline in used skateboarding shoes...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #31 on: 19 October, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »
... to implausibly tight ones (seriously, do young people have no fat or muscle?).  These things are broadly cyclic, but with an irritating twist that means that if you wait long enough for your desired style to come back in, you're still going to be disappointed.
that would be my youth then.
I never did like them, made my thinghs itch.  I like them slightly looser than my thighs, but only just
I wear jeans cos everything else wears out in about 5 mins flat once I cycle to and from work in them.  or drill
no clothes ever really fit me.  Apart from possibly taller guy's outgrown age 11-12 school fleece.  Perhaps I will deputise younger colleage with childer at same school to purchase me a replacement on day.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:05:01 pm »

Good point, sometimes they're so tight they'd probably have to move around like some cross between Zebedee and Steven Tyler if it weren't for the patella-level slashes. Mind you, I don't really want to imagine that love in an elevator.

I'm not a fan of frivels like that. Boots without toes, that's another one. What purpose is wearing something that comes half way up you leg and yet leaves your toes looking at the world? Are they fucking agoraphobic claustrophobic?

I dislike toes immensely. When I think of the best invention that humans have come up with to date, it's closed-toe footwear. Unless they're sneakers, of course. One of the worst things about spending a good part of my life in the USA is the man-child, those fifty-ish men who insist on wearing shorts and sneakers everywhere. Fucking well grow up and wear something uncomfortable. I hope they realise that one of the first things the Demons do to them in Hell is dress them in PVC fetishwear and six inch spike heels and make them run a marathon. It's very popular viewing for the more seasoned damned.

« Reply #33 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »
I'm not really a denimhead, but have a couple of pairs of selvedge jeans in a nice dark indigo that get a fair amount of wear. Footwear is either boots or Adidas classics.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #34 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:14:16 pm »
I still wear jeans, on account of inertia.
It's what I've always worn.

I agree that the Clarkson 50+ beer-gut and jeans is not a good thing.
But I don't think things have got to that stage yet.

I don't do skinny ( coz I'm not 15, and I have some fat and muscles ), but I find that regular fit jeans that fit my 32" waist are mostly OK on my legs, but sometimes are a bit nippit around the thighs, especially if I'm changing into them right after a bike ride.

« Reply #35 on: 20 October, 2017, 11:45:43 am »

Good point, sometimes they're so tight they'd probably have to move around like some cross between Zebedee and Steven Tyler if it weren't for the patella-level slashes. Mind you, I don't really want to imagine that love in an elevator.

I'm not a fan of frivels like that. Boots without toes, that's another one. What purpose is wearing something that comes half way up you leg and yet leaves your toes looking at the world? Are they fucking agoraphobic?

I dislike toes immensely. When I think of the best invention that humans have come up with to date, it's closed-toe footwear. Unless they're sneakers, of course. One of the worst things about spending a good part of my life in the USA is the man-child, those fifty-ish men who insist on wearing shorts and sneakers everywhere. Fucking well grow up and wear something uncomfortable. I hope they realise that one of the first things the Demons do to them in Hell is dress them in PVC fetishwear and six inch spike heels and make them run a marathon. It's very popular viewing for the more seasoned damned.
Ian, how do you feel about these:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 20 October, 2017, 01:07:00 pm »
Didn't think that fashion had anything to do with wearing jeans, just with different styles thereof (such as thin metal buttons on the fly, suitable for separating nail and flesh).
That's the thing. When people started wearing jeans in situations other than down a mine, on a horse, working on a railroad, etc, it was quite youthfully rock n roll (literally obvs). In 60 years nothing has really displaced them, while they've become an element of conformity. Which I suppose is what they were in a way for the 19th century miners etc who first wore them. 
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 20 October, 2017, 01:08:43 pm »
I agree that the Clarkson 50+ beer-gut and jeans is not a good thing.
This is because of Clarkson 50+ beer-gut. Just as bad in chinos, suit, trackie bottoms, kilt, etc etc.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #38 on: 20 October, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »
Because I'm turn turning around bright eyes, it's time for this my little denim-clad jeremites.

It's the video I would have made. If I were thirty years older. And wore jeans that were so tight they pushed all the blood up into my head.

This version's better.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #39 on: 24 October, 2017, 09:53:04 pm »
I have a pair of levi 501s at the back of the wardrobe. Genuine late '80s highwasted  style :-[
I keep 'em to prove that I can still get into them (or not) and I don't like throwing anything away that cost so much ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:05:18 pm »
If I owned trousers that actually came all the way up to my waist, I wouldn't throw them away either.

« Reply #41 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:19:03 pm »
My pet hate is the jeans with the waist dropped across the bum, the crotch at about knee level. WTF?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:22:41 pm »
My pet hate is the jeans with the waist dropped across the bum, the crotch at about knee level. WTF?

AIUI that trend seeks to imitate those who have had their belt confiscated for safety while in police custody.

I once found myself on a railway platform observing a yoof clad in such.  He evidently felt a chill on the exposed bum, so sought to rectify this by tugging down the back of his hoody in a sort of reverse Picard manoeuvre.  That's the point where I knew I was old.

« Reply #43 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:21:03 am »
I have no dilemma about wearing jeans. My quandary is the type of jeans I should be wearing.

I have discovered a haven within which I can thrash through this, without fear of being patronised by identikit tattooed and bearded unwitting-wannabe-American youth employee drones who consider themselves as individuals just like all the other individuals they seek to ressemble. What is more, if other customers are looking down their noses at my lack of fashion awareness they are doing so in Polish. Game on.

This place of sanctuary is called Tk Maxx. If you havent tried it, you should. It's great.

The first pair of jeans I saw on display last Monday was ripped at the knee-hole. Seconds? Must be cheap. But no, they were all like that. It must be deliberate. I took a few pairs to try on, amusing myself that in my clumsy dotage I would probably put my foot through the holes when trying them on. Which is precisely what happened. In the event, I didnt like any of them, but at least they were all returned to the rails more fashionable than before they had encountered me.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:30:14 am »

AIUI that trend seeks to imitate those who have had their belt confiscated for safety while in police custody.

I once found myself on a railway platform observing a yoof clad in such.  He evidently felt a chill on the exposed bum, so sought to rectify this by tugging down the back of his hoody in a sort of reverse Picard manoeuvre.  That's the point where I knew I was old.

Hmm, some guy walked past me the other day and they were below the butt. He was having to waddle along like an incontinent duck. There really wasn't a lot more he could have revealed had the entire lot come down.

My former neighbour, a rather fearsomely endearing Jamaican matriarch, was known to have an opinion (really anyone in south London with ears would have known it) that they young men in her extended family should pull up their trousers properly.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 25 October, 2017, 01:12:22 pm »
I have a pair of levi 501s at the back of the wardrobe. Genuine late '80s highwasted  style :-[
I keep 'em to prove that I can still get into them (or not) and I don't like throwing anything away that cost so much ::-)
Aah, young oiks in hand-tailored suits snorting cocaine before driving off in their BMWs.