Author Topic: Bathroom seal around bath  (Read 1683 times)

Bathroom seal around bath
« on: 02 November, 2017, 09:08:49 am »
Hi All

what is the best way to remove, I understand some people use  a PVCu solvent cleaner to spray on first before removing

thanks for any guidance

Re: Bathroom seal around bath
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2017, 09:36:36 am »
Mechanical removal is really the only way - ie a sharp scraper.   If it is a silicone based sealant then no chemicals will really affect it -  a friend of mine used to work in the sealant industry and when I asked him the same question told me that if I could come up with something which would remove silicone sealant then I could give him half of the sales rights and we would both be able to retire immediately with more money than we knew what to do with.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2017, 12:49:16 pm »
I did ours at the weekend. I have to say that wd40 helped. I eased the edges of the sealant away with a sharp scraper, then sprayed with wd and left it for a few minutes. the treated sealant came away more easily. You still have to hack away at the main bits, but it seems to soften/dissolve the sealant enough to make a rotten job a bit more bearable.

It also made the cleaning much easier: another spray then removing the traces of old sealant with a cloth/scourer was easy.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2017, 02:46:02 pm »
Thanks Little Jim, Paul

paul I did look at WD40 but then I found this; https://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/remove-silicone-sealant-from-a-bath-or-shower/

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:10:34 pm »
Hmm. I'm pretty sure I cleaned it all off, but I'll keep an eye on it.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2017, 06:37:13 pm »
I found a Swiss Army Knife's can opener worked well to get the stuff moving, and then a chisel was good for persuading the rest of it out afterwards.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2017, 07:17:47 am »
I've found that the silicone remover you can buy does work in softening it up.  You may need 2 or 3 applications, but it does help a sharp scraper to lift it all away.