Author Topic: Bike recommendations for a work friend  (Read 2211 times)

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
Bike recommendations for a work friend
« on: 12 December, 2017, 08:37:52 pm »
Hi,

Work friend is looking for recommendations for a new bike.  What do the panel recommend. Conversation went like this:

Friend - "I am going to get a new bicycle and would appreciate your guidance.  Thinking of performance hybrid type thing."

Me - A performance hybrid type thing ? Anything in particular you want it to have?  Assuming a cycle to work budget ?

Friend - "I'd like to be able to ride on tracks occasionally, mainly roads and cycle paths to and from work (3 miles).  Mud guards would probably be sensible.  Yeah, cycle to work type budget but needs to look good"

He's 6ft 2ish and whilst he's not wasteful I never get the impression spare cash is too tricky to find.

My initial thoughts would be a Genesis of some sort but would appreciate the views of the panel.

Over to you and thanks in advance

Re: Bike recommendations for a work friend
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:01:06 pm »
Something like this sound good?
https://www.bike-treks.co.uk/1126595/products/2017_specialized_sirrus_sport.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiAmb7RBRATEiwA7kS8VPBtBNgfqJ93C5Jt-pfuSa_DLvAi2VR6MeYcaBJdoMFZ5u8S667zlBoCzBMQAvD_BwE
I've seen them  in bike shops, and they seem light but sturdy.  Don't know if they can take racks, but they do take mudguards.
You can get lights/mudguards/clothing (even maybe a helmet should you want ;) ) on the cycle to work scheme too, so I would look to spend some of the budget on that.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
Have a look at the Charge Grater.  He could get the first four out of six in the range on a 1k budget, they're well-specced commuter bikes and all-importantly, they look good.

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:06:57 pm »
Hybrid?

Go and have a look at the Boardman range in Halfords: excellent choice with performance and value for money.  He could have the cheapo BC membership package and save a extra 10% for a real bargain!

Blazer

« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:20:01 pm »
Thanks all,

Much appreciated

Keep 'em coming

« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »
Most manufacturers will make something that will do this job - it seems to be a sector that has really got big recently.  I think the bike that really kick started it was the Cannondale Bad Boy, and it does look fantastic (plus it has integrated lights and stuff), but you pay extra for the quirkiness (lefty fork for example). Your colleague might like that, or he might not. I don't think he could find a bad bike if he spends reasonable money from a known quantity, so it probably comes down to style more than anything else.

« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:40:19 pm »
big question is 'does he want an IGH or not?'. 

IGHs make a lot of sense on a commuting machine, but not everyone wants one.

If an IGH is the sort of thing that he'd like, there are a few choices with Nexus 8 (premium) hubs that are worth a look.

cheers

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:45:25 pm »
Cyclo-cross or "gravel bike" would be a lot better than a hybrid, all of which seem to have horrid riding positions.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Blazer

« Reply #8 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:54:15 pm »
big question is 'does he want an IGH or not?'. 

IGHs make a lot of sense on a commuting machine, but not everyone wants one.

Hi, forgive the potentially obvious but what's an IGH?

Cheers

Geared hub I'm guessing to get over any gearing tweaks

« Reply #9 on: 12 December, 2017, 10:15:38 pm »
IGH = Internally Geared Hub

As mentioned Nexus 8 is a good commuting choice.

cheers

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2017, 04:04:06 pm »

I have a Genesis Vagabond (built from the frameset), which is lovely as a commuter, *BUT* it doesn't have the hole at the bridge on the seat stays to all you to fit a standard mud guard. Which is a slightly pain. I get round this with a large Ortlieb saddle bag, but it's not ideal.

So if you're looking at the Genesis range, do double check it can take mud guards.

Might be worth looking at the Dawes Discovery range? I used to commute on a Dawes Discover 201.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2017, 04:18:12 pm »
Might be worth looking at the Dawes Discovery range? I used to commute on a Dawes Discover 201.

A (somewhat Trigger's Broom) Discovery 501 is my day to day bike.  Other than the awful rigid alloy fork and never getting the riding position quite right for long rides, it's served me well for the sort of stuff that hybrids are generally suited for (hacking around town with and without luggage, pulling a trailer, mild off-roading, not getting nicked).

At the time I bought it - knowing a lot less about bikes than I do today - it was the bike with the lowest gear ratios in the price range, and no obvious cheese.

« Reply #12 on: 13 December, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »
it doesn't have the hole at the bridge on the seat stays to all you to fit a standard mud guard. Which is a slightly pain.

Providing there's clearance, that sort of design nonsense can normally be mitigated with zip ties - either fit the bracket to the guard as normal, and zip tie it to the bridge, or drill a pair of holes in the guard, and pass the tie through them before going round the bridge.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #13 on: 13 December, 2017, 07:08:30 pm »

I have a Genesis Vagabond (built from the frameset), which is lovely as a commuter, *BUT* it doesn't have the hole at the bridge on the seat stays to all you to fit a standard mud guard. Which is a slightly pain. I get round this with a large Ortlieb saddle bag, but it's not ideal.

So if you're looking at the Genesis range, do double check it can take mud guards.

J

Drill it?

dim

« Reply #14 on: 13 December, 2017, 07:45:34 pm »
a 2nd hand Trek 7.2 FX .... add mudguards, tubeless ready rims and a dynamo hub/lights .... and perhaps a rack with pannier bags

if he wants a hybrid and has loads of cash, the Trek 7.9 FX is very good (carbon frame)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Blazer

« Reply #15 on: 13 December, 2017, 08:51:11 pm »
Thanks All, YACF'ers at their helpful best.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All duly passed on so my chum has plenty of food for thought and I'l leave the thread live for a day or two longer.

Cheers

Blazer