Author Topic: Sydney-Melbourne Alpine 1200 2017  (Read 1448 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Sydney-Melbourne Alpine 1200 2017
« on: 20 November, 2017, 02:35:07 pm »
HK and I rode the first Sydney-Melbourne Alpine 1200 LRM in 2009; she finished it and I didn't (along with about half the field). There aren't any British riders in this year's field but a number of our friends are riding.
https://www.audax.org.au/public/35-all-rides/major-rides/398-2017-sm1200-interested-riders

Aussie Ron Spargo was found dead on the road on Sunday evening local time. http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-investigate-after-cyclist-found-dead-at-bungonia-near-goulburn-20171119-gzomlw.html
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Sydney-Melbourne Alpine 1200 2017
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2017, 03:17:23 pm »
It's very sad about Ron Spargo and also Dr Ann Formaz-Preston in the adjoining article.

As many miles as I ride, there is no question that bikes and vehicles are not a good mix on major roads and the sound of a truck coming up behind always gives me pause wondering if the driver sees me and is paying attention.

It is interesting to see Mark Thomas riding in the 1200, this bloke rides 1200's all over the world. He runs a bike shop in the Seattle area and somehow finds the money to travel extensively. I think this ride must be the 6th 1200 he has ridden this year. Amazing fellow and I have yet to meet him but might if I manage to make the 1200 in Minnesota next August.

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2017, 04:31:53 pm »
Yep, Mark Thomas, got that wrong  :facepalm:

David Thompson is the RUSA treasurer.

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2017, 07:46:35 pm »
As far as I am aware, there has been nothing yet to confirm that this awful loss was the result of a collision with a vehicle.  The police are quoted as saying "It is possible the cyclist was struck by a vehicle which left the scene, collided with wildlife, or came off his bike for some other reason,".  It seems likely that more clarity may have to await the outcome of an autopsy.  The section of road where this is reported to have occurred is not what I would call a "major road" either (at least in the sense of the volume of traffic it carries).  I rode this same route but in the opposite direction, during this year's Indian-Pacific Wheel Race and I found it to be very lightly trafficked.  In fact, so quiet that I frequently pedalled long stretches in the centre of the carriageway because it was very uneven at the edges.  The traffic that I did encounter was travelling quite fast and there was an amount of lorry traffic but I did not feel particularly at risk.  I felt the road very suitable for an Audax type event.  Hopefully, the police investigation will provide Ron's family and friends with full answers, sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I'm sure we all offer our condolences.

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2017, 01:32:11 am »
This is my understanding as well. No conclusions yet as to what caused the tragedy. Apparently there were no obvious indications that a vehicle was involved. As noted, this was a pretty good section of the route for cycling.

Mark