Author Topic: What do they teach them these days?  (Read 10548 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: What do they teach them these days?
« Reply #75 on: 18 December, 2017, 09:21:08 pm »
And the reason I started this bit of this thread about Excel is treating empty cells as zero. If it was zero I would have put a 0 in the box, not left it blank!

But which one can you wipe your arse on?

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #76 on: 19 December, 2017, 08:33:05 am »
Is zero a number? That may be more a matter of philosophy than maths
In mathematics zero is a VERY important point on the number line, thus it is a number. A lot of mathematical concepts cannot be proved without it.

Even Wikipedia says its a number :D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #77 on: 19 December, 2017, 08:55:33 am »
In mathematics zero is a VERY important point on the number line, thus it is a number. A lot of mathematical concepts cannot be proved without it.

Well, if Wikipedia says so...
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #78 on: 19 December, 2017, 09:55:08 am »

Well, if Wikipedia says so...
I thought that was the clincher :) :thumbsup:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #79 on: 19 December, 2017, 10:17:23 am »
Computer it say 'No!' maybe a thing of the past one day.

This is precisely the problem with AI.  Computer says, "NO", may be the logically correct answer, and they may start saying it more often.

Elon Musk is very worried by AI.  If Elon's worried then I'm worried because he's deeply involved in it*

*Are we taking bets on Elon Musk being a Replicant? 
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #80 on: 19 December, 2017, 10:24:47 am »
I'm more worried about Farcebok and its so-called "algorithms".  Tell it you don't want adverts about booze and what's the first thing I saw this morning?  A shitvert from Majestic Wine.

Today it has also tried to sell me an airline ticket to places I don't want to go, houses in places I don't want to live, shaving products for the close, close shave my beard has always promised itself and womens-specific cycling apparel.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 19 December, 2017, 01:25:09 pm »

Rogue Contact agent from The Culture.  He'll get to within a day or two of successfully sending his BFO rocket to Mars before he's assassinated or displaced by Special Circumstances in a way that looks like a tragic accident.

fuzzy

« Reply #82 on: 19 December, 2017, 01:27:40 pm »
Apart from e mail, the internet and basic research, computers are  lingua feckin furrin to me. Yes I can write a document and wohoo! I can even attach things to it. I have even been known to insert <covert whisper mode ON>tables<covert whisper mode OFF> and cut and paste. And yes, I can do a basic powerpoint wossname but, pooters are still witchcraft as far as spreadsheets, databases, code etc. is concerned.

I was much the same way about military hardware when in the army. I was, and still am, inquisitive however. Curiosity is a dangerous thing. I know. I have experience. I have been shouted at by a very very professional, deeply experienced shouty person (Regimental Sergeant Major) because the very expensive surveillance device I dismantled during a bored spell in a sangar in Northern Ireland still ahd some bits left when I hurriedly put it back together during a snap Commanding officer visit to my sangar.

I only wanted to know how it worked :-\

Curiosity isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #83 on: 19 December, 2017, 02:03:32 pm »

Rogue Contact agent from The Culture.  He'll get to within a day or two of successfully sending his BFO rocket to Mars before he's assassinated or displaced by Special Circumstances in a way that look like a tragic accident.
LIKE  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #84 on: 19 December, 2017, 04:07:53 pm »

Rogue Contact agent from The Culture.  He'll get to within a day or two of successfully sending his BFO rocket to Mars before he's assassinated or displaced by Special Circumstances in a way that look like a tragic accident.
LIKE  :thumbsup:

With Stephen Hawking as a Special Circumstances agent?  All that technology hidden in the chair?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #85 on: 19 December, 2017, 05:25:28 pm »
So we're saying Elon Musk is in fact Thomas Jerome Newton? Who is Mr Farnsworth...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #86 on: 19 December, 2017, 09:09:47 pm »

Rogue Contact agent from The Culture.  He'll get to within a day or two of successfully sending his BFO rocket to Mars before he's assassinated or displaced by Special Circumstances in a way that looks like a tragic accident.

Kim has it again!

« Reply #87 on: 19 December, 2017, 10:53:02 pm »
So we're saying Elon Musk is in fact Thomas Jerome Newton?

+1
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #88 on: 20 December, 2017, 07:17:07 am »
I have been shouted at by a very very professional, deeply experienced shouty person (Regimental Sergeant Major) because the very expensive surveillance device I dismantled...
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. _Initiative_ and _curiosity_?  There's a place for people like you laddie and its not the PBI. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου