Author Topic: 'These things are rare'...  (Read 2303 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
'These things are rare'...
« on: 13 January, 2018, 04:08:38 pm »
Driver attacks woman cyclist on road in North Yorkshire, causing significant injury.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-42661262

Apologises as he thought cyclist was male. (Well, surely assault is unacceptable whatever you are?!)

Judge state such attacks are rare...

IMO they aren't!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: 'These things are rare'...
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2018, 08:57:43 pm »
Lets get a good picture of Martin Lee, so everyone can see who he is.

I see he doesn't have the balls to show his face.

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2018, 09:30:32 pm »
I remember this case, although I don’t know the lady who was attacked. The sentence seems somewhat light to me - given in the original report it was clear that he’d passed waited and then pulled her off the bike as she went past, he had plenty of time to choose not to assault someone.

I think a custodial sentence of reasonable length would be sensible in all such cases. Sadly, I can’t support direct action by the gang, even though I’ve had recent attempted assault by car.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2018, 09:57:09 pm »

IMO they aren't!

They seem less common than motorist vs cyclist collisions without an assault element, and those are pretty rare.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:08:26 am »

Not the judge, but a police inspector called Barf.

The sentence seems very light to me, especially the award to the victim. Unless she's remarkably stolid she's going to be flinching at every overtaking vehicle for a good while.  I was brushed by a car last year and was nervous of overtakers for months afterwards.

I hope she makes it back for the next world championships.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2018, 03:06:13 pm »

IMO they aren't!

They seem less common than motorist vs cyclist collisions without an assault element, and those are pretty rare.
Yes, and the majority of *those* are negligence, not actual Attacks With A Motorised Weapon.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2018, 06:22:29 pm »
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2018, 06:34:15 pm »
I'm not sure what to take home from a story like that - is it OK to assault another bloke?

We should all stop calling it 'road rage' tbh, this was a premeditated assault that only seems to have not been worse because the assailant discovered his victim was female.

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone involved in our justice system sleeps at night.

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2018, 07:08:23 pm »
Peter, sorry for your experience. Given he lied about it before eventually admitting guilt, his sentence also looks light.

On a lighter note, if the offender in the Yorkshire incident had tried to pull our old tree surgeon off his bike things would likely have ended differently. He might not have realised he was attacker’s not a woman, but I’ll bet he knew that his victim was smaller than he is.