Author Topic: Is there a supply problem with DT spokes?  (Read 1556 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Is there a supply problem with DT spokes?
« on: 20 January, 2018, 01:13:47 pm »
I need 36 Revs in 260mm for a front wheel and 18 Revs in 258mm/18 Comp in 256mm for the rear.  None of the usual places, even Rose in Germany, have them in stock.  Mever had a problem before.  They're not weird lengths, either - pretty standard for 26" wheels.

No doubt gougers like SJSC have them for twice the price, but I'm looking at 50p-85p (max) per spoke for Revs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Samuel D

Re: Is there a supply problem with DT spokes?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2018, 04:52:35 pm »
The usual internet reply is that you want the wrong thing. So what do you want them for? History has shown that less extreme butting is enough to stop the spoke failing at the elbow or thread. It follows that more extreme butting increases the price for no good reason.

If you insist, how about the Sapim Laser? Widely available in the lengths you seek.

But I’ve noticed the same lack of supply for some DT Swiss spokes. The Competition in 1.8/1.6 mm size has also been hard to find.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »
Mike Conway may have what you need...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »
The usual internet reply is that you want the wrong thing. So what do you want them for? History has shown that less extreme butting is enough to stop the spoke failing at the elbow or thread. It follows that more extreme butting increases the price for no good reason.

If you insist, how about the Sapim Laser? Widely available in the lengths you seek.

But I’ve noticed the same lack of supply for some DT Swiss spokes. The Competition in 1.8/1.6 mm size has also been hard to find.
I like Revs, although they're a PITA to build with because of the twist.  Springier (they stretch more when tensioned) so never go slack over big hits - important for the looser LH side of a derailleur wheel.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.