Author Topic: Lowest geared chainset that will work with a Sora r3030 triple mech?  (Read 1366 times)

Hi - I'm looking to replace the shifters on my Hewitt touring bike (see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=106937.0), possibly with 9-speed-compatible Sora r3030 levers, which I think should work with my nine speed Shimano XT rear derailleur (running either 11-32 or 11-34 cassette), as there are not many other STI options that will work for my setup, but the main bit I'm unsure about is what chainsets would be compatible with this? AFAIK I would have to change the front XT mech to a Sora r3030 one.

My current chainset is a Shimano SLX 22/32/42 (I think) one. I'm assuming I would have to change that too? The standard Sora one is way too high at 30/39/50, though. The Ridgeback Panorama (https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/touring/world/panorama
) uses a Sora r3030 shifter setup (with a Shimano XT on the back), and comes with a Shimano FC-T4060 / 48-36-26T / chainset (i.e.Alivio MTB chainset)- is this the lowest geared chainset that could be used with the Sora r3030 mech? If so, I guess would be okay with an 11-34T cassette. Would seem a shame to go from an SLX chainset to Alivio, though... Would prefer 22/32/44 ideally!

What other triple chainsets would work with the Sora r3030 front mech?

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Re: Lowest geared chainset that will work with a Sora r3030 triple mech?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2018, 08:44:06 am »
if you make the chainrings small enough eventually the tail of the FD will hit the chainstays. When this happens varies with the seat angle and the chainstay angle.

Look at the photos of a similar setup and allow a FD drop of ~2mm/tooth as you go smaller.

When all is said and done FDs are not expensive so you can soon suck it and see, rather than agonise over it.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2018, 05:31:01 pm »
Not tried with a Sora or anythin as low as 22T, but with older Tiagra triple FD, any 105 triple FD up to a 5703, or even the rare Campag triples, you can certainly get down to 26T.  I've had several bikes running 50/38/26 triple.
I'd be surprised if the Sora was any less capable, but as Brucey suggests, for the cost of the FD (and the return if sell it again on fleabay in almost unused condition) it's definitely worth trying with your current chainset.

« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2018, 05:59:46 pm »
Not tried with a Sora or anythin as low as 22T, but with older Tiagra triple FD, any 105 triple FD up to a 5703, or even the rare Campag triples, you can certainly get down to 26T.  I've had several bikes running 50/38/26 triple.
I'd be surprised if the Sora was any less capable, but as Brucey suggests, for the cost of the FD (and the return if sell it again on fleabay in almost unused condition) it's definitely worth trying with your current chainset.

Thanks, the only reason I'm asking about Sora is that AFAIK it's the highest level of Shimano STI kit that is still available in 9-speed.

I think I've actually resigned myself to going the Dura Ace Bar End Shifters route, but if I ended up hating these, I might revisit this...
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2018, 06:16:24 pm »
if you make the chainrings small enough eventually the tail of the FD will hit the chainstays.
When all is said and done FDs are not expensive so you can soon suck it and see, rather than agonise over it.

Agree with this.  I used Spa cycles for a custom triple chainset, and found I had to compromise shifting performance into the granny to maintain some clearance.  Wasn't much of a problem for me, it would still go, I just had to ensure hardly any pressure on the chain at the time of shift. (plan ahead if you need the granny ring)  I could have faffed about more with various front mechs, but didn't bother.

I'd very much recommend Spa as a source for custom chainsets.