Author Topic: Sexy Rack  (Read 5004 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Sexy Rack
« Reply #25 on: 23 February, 2018, 07:14:54 am »
Apart fro ALL of the above, it is indeed 'fugly'   ::-)

« Reply #26 on: 23 February, 2018, 08:37:21 am »
Apart fro ALL of the above, it is indeed 'fugly'   ::-)

Indeed. Also they can say what they like but the photos show a bike on which all the weight is behind the axle and for me heelstrike is still a guaranteed certainty. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, even when the sow costs a small fortune. If it's for a fortnight's holiday a year a saddlebag is cheaper and makes more sense to me.

« Reply #27 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:07:03 am »
By mounting the rack on the rear axle they just made p fairy visitations whole lot more complicated.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Samuel D

« Reply #28 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:23:08 am »
By mounting the rack on the rear axle they just made p fairy visitations whole lot more complicated.

Such negativity, freeflow! As Tom Ritchey said in response to the question at 11:50 in this interview, “very few people even know how to fix a flat tyre, frankly, these days”. He’s dead right. I have ridden with someone who called a tow truck when he got a puncture. Fixing punctures is for tourists. Did Sagan fix his puncture in Paris–Roubaix?

« Reply #29 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:45:52 am »
Eh? Don't be ridiculous, this product is aimed at people doing long distance racing - anyone entering those events will be able to mend a puncture.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #30 on: 23 February, 2018, 11:25:52 am »
Eh? Don't be ridiculous, this product is aimed at people doing long distance racing - anyone entering those events will be able to mend a puncture.

;D ;D

I almost wanted to change that to "anyone entering those events will ... purchase an appropriate bike", then I realised you were joking!

This thing looks pretty good for the kind of people who have a nice bike that they ride on dry Sunday mornings, who might fancy a one-off challenge like C2C. When I say to people I have a separate bike set up for touring they are totally shocked (and the cost of that whole bike was less than this rack). The light weight of the rack is pointless given the massive weight of the (empty) panniers, it's just for bling points. Given the QR you would take it off any time you're not using it.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #31 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:11:43 pm »
Seems to fall foul of the same fundamental design flaw as many lightweight racks:  It's only any good for panniers, not racktop bags.  Why go to all the effort of making a rack as lightweight and aerodynamic as possible, and then constrain it to only the heaviest, least aerodynamic luggage?

They have a stand at the London Bike Show and several of their display bikes had a rack-top bag, mounted on a bracket that screwed on to the back of the pannier pegs. Not sure if you can use panniers at the same time. Odd it doesn't feature on their website.

(It also made the vertical supports look like massive overkill for a relatively small bag)