Author Topic: varifocals - the good, the bad and the ugly  (Read 11688 times)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
Re: varifocals - the good, the bad and the ugly
« Reply #50 on: 09 January, 2023, 09:52:20 am »
Could it be something like my experience?

I have a pair which I should be using, as my near vision has got worse, but the visual centre of the right lens is marginally wrong and this just makes them unpleasant to wear. Things are in focus only if I point my nose a little left, and then the left eye is out.

I ought to get it changed but it was over a year between having them made -- the first lot of lenses had to be sent back as the CYL angle was bizarrely wrong -- and my working out what was still wrong. And the varifocal lenses are fantastically expensive.
Not especially helpful or mature

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #51 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:36:23 am »
I think it maybe, but they have changed lens twice and 2 pairs have the same issue but 1 pair doesn't which confuses me (although they are different opticians!)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 10 January, 2023, 03:05:25 pm »
A totally circular lens can get optically set up incorrectly, causing eye muscle strain...

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #53 on: 10 January, 2023, 05:31:18 pm »
A totally circular lens can get optically set up incorrectly, causing eye muscle strain...

I have moved from square to round lens and maybe they are just not working for me.

Two different opticians, same issue - could my eyes be taking awhile to adapt?

« Reply #54 on: 14 July, 2023, 12:51:15 pm »
Just been to see opticians who recommend varifocals.  I am confused by a couple things:
1. their image of how the glasses work at different price points suggest that a big portion of the glasses don't allow you to see at all.  Is this normal eye behaviour?  Seems alarming for looking about while cycling.
2. I have incredibly short vision (-7/8 and then 1.25 reading), I am unconvinced that I could see short distance with reading glasses because I expect it to be too far.
3. Could I get around it with contacts and reading glasses?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #55 on: 14 July, 2023, 12:58:57 pm »
Just been to see opticians who recommend varifocals.  I am confused by a couple things:
1. their image of how the glasses work at different price points suggest that a big portion of the glasses don't allow you to see at all.  Is this normal eye behaviour?  Seems alarming for looking about while cycling.
2. I have incredibly short vision (-7/8 and then 1.25 reading), I am unconvinced that I could see short distance with reading glasses because I expect it to be too far.
3. Could I get around it with contacts and reading glasses?
I do no 3.
My prescription isn't as bad as yours (-5.25 but 1.5 reading). Generally I do OK without glasses for close 'work' (reading my phone, to be honest) and where I need both in quick succession (garmin-horizon-garmin-road surface) I wear reading glasses and contact lenses.
I would probably appreciate bi/varifocals for knitting while watching the telly, but I tend instead to knit and listen, lens free. It's much cheaper and I don't think I'm missing much.

« Reply #56 on: 14 July, 2023, 03:06:55 pm »
My reading glasses issue is really only a problem when reading ingredients on food packets.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #57 on: 14 July, 2023, 03:45:17 pm »
This thread has been interesting for me.  I currently have long distance vision in my left eye, following a cataract operation about 10 years ago, and very short distance vision in my right eye.  The right eye has been deteriorating rapidly and I now have a date for a cataract operation on my right eye (end of the month).

When I had my left cataract removed, the medical staff discussed the new lens with me and recommended the long distance lens, saying that I might be able to get on without spectacles after the operation on account of being able to see at all distances with either one eye or the other.  At the time, I found this caused too much strain and my optician recommended varifocals (with the 30 day change-your-mind option).

I tried the varifocals and couldn't get on with them at all, really struggling to get anything properly in focus and using a computer screen was almost impossible - I struggled to get a whole long word in focus and was having to move my head left to right to read a line.  After reading this thread, I am now wondering if the lenses weren't aligned properly.  Anyway, I persevered for about a week and a half before going back to the opticians (Boots) and they weren't happy, telling me that I hadn't given it long enough to get used to them - the truth is that I couldn't work with them on and resorted taking them off for computer work.  They also tried to tell me that I couldn't change my mind and if I wanted replacement glasses, I would have to pay again.  After some "discussion" they agreed to swap the glasses for bifocals for reading/distance and single vision glasses for computer work (I can't remember if there was any redress for the new cost against the varifocal cost).

Now that I've got a date for getting my right cataract removed, I realised that I never had the discussion at the pre-op examination/consultation about the lens they will put in my eye and so I don't know what my vision will be like after the op.  I'm expecting that I will get long distance and I'm hoping that it'll be something similar to the vision I have in my left eye.

If this is the case, I have been considering trying half-moon single vision glasses (hopefully cheapo off-the-shelf "reading glasses"), one pair for reading, the other pair for computer work/reading the Garmin on the handlebar - this would enable me to see the road when on the bike and see other people in the office when I look up from my screen.

That's the idea anyway, I'll have to wait and see how things go.

« Reply #58 on: 14 July, 2023, 03:48:38 pm »
When I got varifocals a good few years ago the technician at Boots took great care in measuring and aligning them for me.
This is the person you see after the optician, who fits the frames for you. Maybe they can have different attitudes to the job.