Author Topic: Whence your moniker?  (Read 11456 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Whence your moniker?
« Reply #50 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:01:27 pm »

(Back in the (g)olden days my CB handle was Billy Rubin - aka Bilirubin, reported in micromoles/litre)

FTFY

a jaundiced view?

(There again, I've 'known' Mike online since his [surnames] @zetnet.co.uk days...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #51 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:06:03 pm »
My name is Ben. My surname begins with B - under some circumstances - and under others it begins with P.

While it is convenient to have a simple unique moniker for modern internet use, could I recommend not being lumbered with plosives as initials? It takes so much time when talking to call centres. 
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:11:07 pm »
Bravo and Papa sound rather different thobut...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »
I have been Wowbagger almost since time immemorial, for obvious reasons.

Sometimes the neural ganglia recall why this was, and today is one of those days.

Some time back in the late 1990s, and the Internet became a thing that almost everybody didn't have, Dez was at Swansea University "studying" computer science. Because he was the geek he still is, he bought a modem from somewhere and we managed to get "online".

Swansea Uni had a talker called Milliways which one or more of them had written. Those who don't know, and that's almost everyone, will be impressed by the fact that Prof. Alan Cox was a Swansea Uni man and he had quite a bit to do with Linux's ability to tell printers what to do, to the extent that Swansea Uni got a mention in the credits when Linux booted up. For all I know it still does. So Swansea was possibly slightly ahead of the game in Things Like This.

Anyway, back to the Talker. It was almost entirely based upon HHGTTG and TMR* so people tended to adopt characters' names from either colossus of popular culture. Thus there was an Arthur, and almost certainly a Florence. Given, as mentioned above, that I became a member of that talker simply because we were about the only parents of students to have an internet connection, it was obvious that as by far the oldest there, I had to be Wowbagger. And so I am. I also quite enjoy insulting people.

*The Magic Roundabout

Edit: actually, come t think of it, I think we were online before he started at Uni, which was 1997. When he was still at Southend High School he wrote the schools "intranet" using HTML. I suspect that we were originally singed up in about 1996.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #54 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »
Bravo and Papa sound rather different thobut...

Yes, but it introduces another level of complexity into the negotiation.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #55 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:35:15 pm »
Although I am capable of mapreading, my name really reflects my interest in far eastern cultures, chiefly through my other half being Japanese.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:43:47 pm »
alphabetical play on graeme.
It took me quite a while to twig that 'barakta' was something similar.

Indeed.  It's a typo that only she would make.
Surely it should really be bRkt THEN CONTINUE IN BLOCK CAPS?

That's the thing.  She's surprisingly accurate in the bottom left third of the keyboard.  It's the right hand doing everything else that's prone to off-by-one errors.

She was impressed that I worked this out soon after learning her username.  Seemed obvious.

« Reply #57 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:56:52 pm »
Contraction of my surname. Friends at school over 50 years ago started referring to me as Blade and it has followed me ever since, helped by the fact that I've maintained friendships with many friends over the years who have perpetuated the nickname amongst other fresh acquaintances.

My son has also been given the same nickname by several of his friends too.

You mean it didn't come from the vampire film  :o

Highly unlikely, as I'm 13 years older than Wesley Snipes and had the nickname before he was even born.  ;D
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #58 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:58:31 pm »
I live in a windy place.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 08 March, 2018, 05:15:31 pm »
Contraction of my surname. Friends at school over 50 years ago started referring to me as Blade and it has followed me ever since, helped by the fact that I've maintained friendships with many friends over the years who have perpetuated the nickname amongst other fresh acquaintances.

You mean it didn't come from the vampire film  :o

Highly unlikely, as I'm 13 years older than Wesley Snipes and had the nickname before he was even born.  ;D

The character pre-dates the film by about 25 years, but that doesn't appear to be enough...

« Reply #60 on: 08 March, 2018, 07:06:22 pm »
I'm just boring, really.
Back when I first discovered fora and such like I started reading something called something like C+ which some of you may remember.
I spent ages trying to think of an interesting name, but in the end wanted to comment on something, so registered with the easiest option.
When said forum got merged, I ended sounding like an small Soviet republic, which was one of the reasons for dropping out (the main one being that everyone I 'knew' had also migrated).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #61 on: 08 March, 2018, 07:13:09 pm »
A long(ish) time ago I used to hang out on an IRC channel devoted to things FreeBSD and I didn't have much to contribute so I lurked and 'cos colleagues at my then employer also frequented the channel the ekename crossed into real life, usually as Lurk, but for Sunday best Lurker.  And, as I have _never_ liked my given name, I've used Lurk IRL since then.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #62 on: 08 March, 2018, 07:18:54 pm »
Umm...
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #63 on: 08 March, 2018, 09:05:11 pm »

...or being a Sheff Utd fan.

He's far too nice a chap to be one of those dirty scumbags.
WAWAW

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #64 on: 08 March, 2018, 09:42:23 pm »
Er . . . No.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #65 on: 08 March, 2018, 10:34:15 pm »

...or being a Sheff Utd fan.

He's far too nice a chap to be one of those dirty scumbags.
WAWAW

Twit twoo

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #66 on: 09 March, 2018, 07:30:37 am »
Mine comes from a MTB forum I used to frequent - one of my MTBs was a Maverick 7/5 full suspension bike (7" front 5"rear) and I adopted it as my handle.

This not you, then?.  Pity.  I shall have to revise my mental image of you.

Not this either , which is what a lot of people think.

« Reply #67 on: 09 March, 2018, 08:27:53 am »
I fancied a change from my "usual" web name (which I use in most places and have done since I started using the internet), and picked a word I thought probably wouldn't be taken already. Wish I'd gone for something shorter, though!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #68 on: 09 March, 2018, 10:33:45 am »
I was invented by Algernon Moncrieff as an imaginary character who allowed him to escape to the country internet and get up to no good.  I then got kidnapped by some cyclist and brought up to date. 

Oh no wait, I don't use that username anymore do I?   :facepalm:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #69 on: 09 March, 2018, 11:48:32 am »
I kind of liked the idea that instead of a woman being called 'Mrs<insert husband's name>', I was Mr<insert partner's name>, so adopted the name online.

We have a similar thing where Mr Ben's Mum is Mrs Ben's Mum's husband.

Not quite. There was "Mrs Ben's Mum" and "Mr Ben's Mum"...

And when we realised Mr Ben's Mum (his dad) was *not especially amused* we of course did it all the more ;) (18yr old students!) Mrs Ben's Mum thought it was funny and realised we weren't being intentionally disrespectful until Mr Ben's Mum showed lack of humour...

« Reply #70 on: 09 March, 2018, 12:00:45 pm »
While it is convenient to have a simple unique moniker for modern internet use, could I recommend not being lumbered with plosives as initials? It takes so much time when talking to call centres.
I'm burdened with having the same sound at the end of my first name (Tim) and beginning of my surname (Melville), which means I sound like a twat when I enunciate it clearly enough to separate the two parts...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #71 on: 09 March, 2018, 12:14:25 pm »
I'm one of those slow but steady riders - not much speed but plenty of stamina - so on most Audax rides I can be found at or near the back.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #72 on: 09 March, 2018, 12:18:55 pm »
I once was an ugly duckling.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #73 on: 09 March, 2018, 12:52:18 pm »
About 25 or so years ago, Mrs B was chatting with other mums at the primary school gates. "The bloke on a bike" came up in conversation.  Mrs B soon realised they meant me.  (Regular utility cyclists were much less common in those days)
I adopted the name when I joined whatever that magazine forum was called.  I'd been my real name on UKRC.
When ACF came along I became Basil W Brush as a sort of parody of the then POTUS G W Bush, but I doubt many people got that.
At the end of GWB's tenure in office I needed to change, but as people were calling me Basil on forum rides etc as it made life easier when there were at least 5 other riders named John, I kept the name.
One of the highlights of my life was when I was on a pootle with you Basil and I twigged that you were That Bloke Off UKRC Who Rides Into Canals.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #74 on: 09 March, 2018, 02:29:24 pm »
The real me, as opposed to the legal/professional me.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: