Author Topic: Cricket - ball tampering  (Read 9423 times)

Cricket - ball tampering
« on: 25 March, 2018, 07:56:08 am »
From BBC Sport this morning

“It seems beyond belief the Australian cricket team have been involved in cheating. Our cricketers are role models and cricket is synonymous with fair play”

To quote a famous tennis player

“You CANNOT be serious”

A

Re: Cricket - ball tampering
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2018, 09:51:14 am »
Nothing to see here. It's been happening for years. Move on.

« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:36:33 am »
Aside from all the other aspects of ball tampering, what's amazing is that it was even pre-planned and thought to be worth considering, with the current level of high res televisual and photographic scrutiny from every conceivable angle.  Nothing new, but not good for the game.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2018, 02:16:48 pm »
Ball tampering in cricket is a bit of a grey area surely. Polishing the ball on your trousers is traditional and does affect a delivery but at exactly what point does it become illegal tampering ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2018, 02:25:04 pm »
Cricket went down in my estimation when the ethos of walking before the umpire gave a decision faded into history. Not that all was perfect before then, but it seems to be just another game focused on winning at (almost) any cost now, and we've got plenty of them already.

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
Ball tampering in cricket is a bit of a grey area surely. Polishing the ball on your trousers is traditional and does affect a delivery but at exactly what point does it become illegal tampering ?

At the point at which you are doing something other than polishing the ball on your trousers?  I don't think it's complicated, really.  But what a stupid risk for Smith to take with his reputation, though it's likely that this is the time he got caught rather than the first time he's done it.  Reputation in tatters, now.

« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2018, 05:33:31 pm »
Looks like polishing the ball is pretty much all a player can do, without consultation.  (my bold)

41.3  The match ball – changing its condition

41.3.1 The umpires shall make frequent and irregular inspections of the ball.  In addition, they shall immediately inspect the ball if they suspect anyone of attempting to change the condition of the ball, except as permitted in 41.3.2.

41.3.2 It is an offence for any player to take any action which changes the condition of the ball.

Except in carrying out his/her normal duties, a batsman is not allowed to wilfully damage the ball.  See also Law 5.5 (Damage to the ball).

A fielder may, however

41.3.2.1 polish the ball on his/her clothing provided that no artificial substance is used and that such polishing wastes no time.

41.3.2.2 remove mud from the ball under the supervision of an umpire.

41.3.2.3 dry a wet ball on a piece of cloth that has been approved by the umpires.

41.3.3 The umpires shall consider the condition of the ball to have been unfairly changed if any action by any player does not comply with the conditions in 41.3.2.

41.3.4 If the umpires consider that the condition of the ball has been unfairly changed by a member or members of either side, they shall ask the captain of the opposing side if he/she would like the ball to be replaced.  If necessary, in the case of the batting side, the batsmen at the wicket may deputise for their captain.
  lords.org
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2018, 05:39:55 pm »
Hit the offender and his 'leadership group' with as much punishment as possible 'to encourage the others' to not tamper with the ball.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:06:35 pm »
Wonder if they were doing it during the Ashes?  And surely the bowlers must have known?  And what about New Zealand........ (just joking, hopefully).

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2018, 09:13:17 am »

At the point at which you are doing something other than polishing the ball on your trousers?  I don't think it's complicated, really.  But what a stupid risk for Smith to take with his reputation, though it's likely that this is the time he got caught rather than the first time he's done it.  Reputation in tatters, now.

In squash if I accidentally get sweat on the ball when I'm picking it up I try and dry it on my wristband cos I would be mortified if it slid straight down the sidewall , which can happen, and I won the point off the serve.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 26 March, 2018, 07:38:38 pm »
I love the fact that the Aussie PM made an official statement on the matter.

Ball tampering in Aussie cricket seems to warrant the same level of grave seriousness that Russian nerve-gas attacks in Britain do.

Heaven help Putin is he ever tries cheating in an Aussie cricket game.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #12 on: 27 March, 2018, 05:23:13 am »
I love the fact that the Aussie PM made an official statement on the matter.

Ball tampering in Aussie cricket seems to warrant the same level of grave seriousness that Russian nerve-gas attacks in Britain do.

Heaven help Putin is he ever tries cheating in an Aussie cricket game.

Cricket is far more important than life or death!

I’m kidding, what happened in Salisbury was diabolical

A

« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2018, 07:46:47 am »
Indeed.

Cricket ball tampering: This is the worst thing ever.

No, that'll be Australia's treatment of refugees on Nauru: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/island-of-despair-australia-intentionally-torturing-refugees-on-nauru-says-major-amnesty-international-report-20161017-gs3sm4.html

(Further discussion of that probably best saved for P&OBI).

Still waiting for Cricket Australia's punishment. I reckon it will be more than a single game ban for Bancroft and Smith (and Warner too hopefully). Lehmann can get in the sea too (ah, looks like he'll be resigning today. Good.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2018, 10:54:08 am »
As for Bancroft's "yellow tape": looks suspiciously like the piece of sandpaper from a puncture repair kit to me and therefore quite appropriate to mention on this forum.

Edit:  I hadn't seen the interview when I wrote the above.  Repair kit would have been easier, I think!

« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2018, 11:24:02 am »
It's only the UK media that seem to be calling it "yellow tape".

Everywhere else (Aus, NZ, SA) is calling it sandpaper.

It's #sandpapergate on twitter.

ObOb: https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/sandpapergate-funny-memes-responses-bancroft/

(The kid trying to get Nathan Lyon to sign a piece of sandpaper is utterly wonderful.)

« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2018, 11:27:22 am »
Bancroft mentions it in his interview at about 0.55:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43549074

(You'll need to scroll down)

« Reply #17 on: 27 March, 2018, 11:36:35 am »
Sure, the BBC are reporting it as tape because they generally err on the side of caution with reporting and probably haven't got a definitive source for it being described as sandpaper.

Most other places aren't so trusting of Bancroft's description of it.

« Reply #18 on: 27 March, 2018, 11:38:05 am »
Neither am I!

« Reply #19 on: 27 March, 2018, 01:26:38 pm »
How much of a difference does it actually make?  Does it account for the trouncing we got in the Ashes?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 27 March, 2018, 01:59:36 pm »
They moved the ball quite a lot, we struggled to do so.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #21 on: 27 March, 2018, 02:13:02 pm »
Don't think it helps you bowl 10mph faster though! :)

« Reply #22 on: 27 March, 2018, 02:37:36 pm »
Unlikely it happened, very unlikely it can be proven if it did. Grainy videos of Bancroft possibly putting sugar in his pocket don't prove anything.

We'll only know if someone owns up to doing it.

How much it helped if it did happen? Impossible to say. No point dwelling on that, move on and find some 90+mph bowlers. Anderson isn't going to last forever.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #23 on: 27 March, 2018, 04:17:54 pm »
How much of a difference does it actually make?  Does it account for the trouncing we got in the Ashes?

How much of a difference? In a closely fought contest this sort of tampering can significantly alter a match outcome.

The advantage shifts between bowlers and batters through several phases of the ball's lifetime. With swing bowlers that can also employ reverse swing the batting team has a window of opportunity for more easily accumulating runs when the ball is in a condition that is less conducive to swing. This is between the new ball, that has a clean, pronounced seam that can be used to steer the ball* (shining one side assists and prolongs this phenomenon while the seam ages and becomes less effective both as an aerodynamic device and pronounced high point that provides deviation off the pitch) and the old ball where the significant difference in the two hemispheres induces a different aerodynamic effect that acts in the opposite direction to the earlier swing.^

If a bowling side can artificially induce reverse swing earlier then they limit the amount of time that the batters have where the ball is easier to hit and score runs from. The reverse swinging ball is also more difficult to play than the conventionally swinging ball and if the bowler is particularly skilled, more likely to take wickets or even approach being unplayable.

Minor alterations to the ball can switch it on when it comes to reverse swing so intentionally roughing up the ball is an effective way of shifting the balance of the game in the bowlers' favour.

During the Ashes England weren't beaten by Australia's ability to swing the old ball. If there was any tampering it would have had a minimal effect on the outcome. In other contests though it could make a profound difference.

* the raised seam, if orientated correctly, induces lower pressure turbulence on one side of the ball, this turbulent air detaches readily from the ball and creates an even lower pressure area. The laminar flow on the other side is higher pressure air that more readily 'wraps' around the ball and detaches in the same low pressure area on the far side of the ball and thus the ball is pushed into the lower pressure area.

^the hard, polished surface with numerous irregularities from impacts, plus a widening quarter seam disrupts airflow more than the soft, seude like 'natural' side of the old ball that is thought to carry an insulating micro- boundary layer of turbulence that allows that side to preserve laminar flow for longer.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #24 on: 28 March, 2018, 09:41:14 am »
12 month bans for Warner and Smith. 9 months for Bancroft.

These are from Cricket Australia so I don't know if they'll also be excluded from the various T20 competitions (Smith was on AUS$2.4m from his IPL contract). Hope so.