Author Topic: Wide fit SPDs  (Read 1864 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Wide fit SPDs
« on: 11 June, 2018, 01:31:05 am »
Heyo, I need new SPDs shoes.

Something for something walkable off the bike comfortable. Budget upto say £70. Looking for predominately black. Something like the Specialized Cadet Shoe was good, but seems out out of stock eveywhere in size 9.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Wide fit SPDs
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:14:26 am »
I'm wearing these:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/northwave-escape-evo-cycling-shoes/

Only had 'em about 6 weeks so no idea on longevity, but comfy enough walking and riding. My feet are wide and they seem OK.

Not all that stiff soled, so I wouldn't wear them for long days on the bike, but great for everyday.

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:32:55 am »
Perhaps one of these may help. It did for me on my various items of footwear. I too, have wide feet.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2018, 07:21:19 pm »
Lakes... Slightly over your budget but worked really well for me and helped reduce hotfoot https://www.saltdogcycling.com/lake-mx161-wide-fit-mountain-bike-shoes/

« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:22:05 pm »
I bought these in black, but still had to use one of these to make them comfortable.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:16:06 am »
I found the new shimano RT range (I have the lace ups, which may be a factor), are a little wider than their normal shoes, but not quite a wide as the wide fit they do in the most popular road and MTB shoe. Specialized are completely out nowadays for a wider fit- used to be OK on the entry level but I've tried their new range and they're definitely a 'normal' fit but now. I found the regular lake shoes pretty wide (I'm an e width).

It's a shame giro don't do a wide fit in their touring/urban models as their HV road shoes work great for me.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:20:41 pm »
BTW SPD pedals are not that wide; ~56mm from the spindle shoulder to the centreline of the binding. If you use a wide fit shoe you may be better off spacing the pedals away from the crank eg by using pedal extenders; this can keep the SPD cleat better centred beneath your foot.

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2018, 09:17:18 am »

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2018, 10:48:19 pm »
There are lots of Specialized Cadet shoes on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Specialized+Cadet+Shoe&_sacat=0

None in my size but I've taken a punt on the 8.6. Fingers crossed. Thanks all.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2018, 07:42:48 pm »

I bought these in black, but still had to use one of these to make them comfortable.

My Lake wide fit shoes (46) are for sale. Bought earlier this year but only worn once. Don't like the boa dial.