Author Topic: It's not just in the UK  (Read 2955 times)

It's not just in the UK
« on: 25 June, 2018, 07:26:46 am »
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/dash-cam-footage-fatal-crash-killed-vancouver-doctor
https://globalnews.ca/news/4280677/dash-cam-video-fatal-crash-dr-alphonsus-hui-ken-chung
Driver goes almost 3x the speed limit, t-bones another car and kills the other driver and the judge calls it a 'momentary lapse' and clears him of causing death by dangerous driving.
 It then turns out that the driver had a previous conviction for speeding and was caught street racing last year as well.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: It's not just in the UK
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2018, 11:42:11 am »
Jakob, I haven't looked up your link (just yet) and I'm not sure I will do anyway as, no doubt, it'll only raise my blood pressure reading it, and the absurdity of convictions for road traffic crashes caused by car drivers, or rather, the leniency metered out.

Nowadays, we live in a world where people (given the chance) will say: "Not my fault!", when clearly it is. So unless you are able to produce video evidence, or an independent witness(es), scumbags will try to get away with it and, judging by your comments, be habitual.

Friend of mine was recently walking his dog over the local municipal golf course early evening, and went past 3 schoolkids (girl and two boys about 15-years) sat on one of the fairways, eating crap food/drink (obvs), and tracing his route later, went past them again just as they got up to walk away. Yep, they just left their rubbish. So he challenged them about it. "It's not ours" they said. It was the girl who was all mouthy, saying 'this-and-that' and calling him a 'pedo'. Scumbags aren't they? Eventually, one of the boys went back and picked it up. After my friend was several hundred yards away, they shouted to get his attention, two fingers raised and threw the rubbish on the ground. Scumbags – confirmed!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2018, 08:00:08 pm »
As for the rubbish, true, not just in the UK.

At there are several fast food outlets at the top of our neighbourhood and several low end apartments at the other end and our main road is strewn with their detritus all the time. They buy it, eat in the car, and throw out their leftovers as they drive through.

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:07:40 am »

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:09:23 am »
Not wishing to victim blame, but when you are passing a big vehicle like that you really need to commit to getting infront of the cab or stay behind. The same goes if you are in a car. Yes, the driver should have been paying more attention, but people are routinely a bit sh1te.

« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2018, 12:20:50 pm »
Not wishing to victim blame, but when you are passing a big vehicle like that you really need to commit to getting infront of the cab or stay behind. The same goes if you are in a car. Yes, the driver should have been paying more attention, but people are routinely a bit sh1te.

Not wishing to victim blame, but I'm just gonna have to.

I literally cannot see how the cyclist is at fault.

« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2018, 02:24:10 pm »
could not agree more lahoski

awful attitude

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:45:25 am »
Lorry is 100% at fault.

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »
As far as I could see, the lorry was not indicating to turn when the cyclist came up alongside in the designated cycle lane.  The fact that the lorry then turned right across the cycle lane indicates one of two possibilities to me.  Firstly, the driver didn't look in his mirror.  Secondly, he did look in his mirror but didn't give a shit.  Both are culpable but the second is criminal.

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »
As far as I could see, the lorry was not indicating to turn when the cyclist came up alongside in the designated cycle lane.  The fact that the lorry then turned right across the cycle lane indicates one of two possibilities to me.  Firstly, the driver didn't look in his mirror.  Secondly, he did look in his mirror but didn't give a shit.  Both are culpable but the second is criminal.

Yeah, the lorry indicates early enough for anyone approaching from behind - ie, any vehicles following - but that's of no use to the cyclist who is already alongside. Pretty terrible driving.

Annoyingly, I got hit by a car doing something similar.

« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2018, 07:32:07 pm »
Why isn't it acceptable to have two statements?

The lorry driver is fully culpable as the person in charge  of piloting many tons of machinery on the road. That is absolute.

The cyclist showed poor judgement and was lucky to  get away without injury because she placed herself in a situation where sever harm could occur without adequate reason. That doesn't make her to blame but, as there will always (?) be substandard lorry drivers, it was not an example of best riding practice.

« Reply #11 on: 10 July, 2018, 07:38:10 pm »
I know what you are saying Ham, and we all need to take responsibility for ourselves but if we are not able to expect motorists to respect cycle lanes, then there is little point in having them.  The cyclist is only going to damage him- or herself.  An inattentive driver (to be charitable) could easily wipe out a whole family.

« Reply #12 on: 10 July, 2018, 08:02:58 pm »
I know what you are saying Ham, and we all need to take responsibility for ourselves but if we are not able to expect motorists to respect cycle lanes, then there is little point in having them.  The cyclist is only going to damage him- or herself.  An inattentive driver (to be charitable) could easily wipe out a whole family.

That's a statement of fact, isn't it?

Let's get this straight, the driver is responsible for the accident, end of.  Whatever consequences flow to him as a result he has earned and cannot and should not be changed no matter what the cyclist did.

But there is a complex issue when you start to look at the degree of liability of the various parties. A badly designed cycle lane should be in the mix, but rarely if ever is. Instead you have two parties directly involved trying to establish liability. I think it seems just that the apportionment of blame is split, what is grossly unfair is that at the moment, it appears that the cyclist shoulders not only their responsibility but that of the lane designer. It isn't right that, for example, a cyclists who is clearly visible is evaluated the same as a cyclist in a driver's blind spot (and to be clear, in my view the driver is as responsible in either case).

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2018, 02:43:11 am »
I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood you (and possibly  but not necessarily vice versa).  I agree with all of that.

peter