Author Topic: Streetmachine GT lowrider rack mounting question.  (Read 1339 times)

Streetmachine GT lowrider rack mounting question.
« on: 22 July, 2018, 06:00:19 pm »
Finally got my lowrider and it fits. I'm not being daft here assuming the lower chain run is above the rack held up by the chain tube on the top bar of the rack?

It seemed the obvious way to me. Very little change in chain line.

It came with a load of bits. I hardly used any if them. I think some were for if you didn't use the rear rack.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Streetmachine GT lowrider rack mounting question.
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2018, 06:07:10 pm »
Good to hear it fits!  :thumbsup:

My lower chain runs through the middle of the lowrider, so it doesn't interfere with the chainline at all.  Deflecting it with the chain tube like that is probably harmless, though - as you say, it's a small deflection (I've seen chain tube cope with a lot more) and there's very little tension in the non-drive side.  It might be slightly noisier.  So yeah, if breaking the chain is a hassle, it'll probably be okay until new chain time.

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/recumbents/hpvelotechnik/streetmachine/ has some Streetmachine (GT and GTE) photos that concur with my chain routing.

Re: Streetmachine GT lowrider rack mounting question.
« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2018, 07:37:18 pm »
I saw one that seemed to go above but it was the GTe version and on some page or download on the HPV website. However I've seen it through the rack too. Not easy to see on a phone though.

I think I'll risk a two week tour with it.

It was a bit of a relief when the centre bolt went in. At first it looked a mm or two out. Then I kind of forced the allen key around then it suddenly became straight and bolted up nicely. That doesn't sound good but it hasn't cross threaded or anything. The whole rack looks very solid.

Tried a pannier on it because it looked in the way but it fits snugly with an ortlieb back roller classic. Got a huge 70 litre pannier set up at the back for touring. I hate having stuffed panniers. It's not as if I'm going to be aero anyway with 4 panniers so might as well make two of them big.

Next jobs on my list include mirror (B&M cyclestar 80), bike computer plus mount