Author Topic: I got 99 problems...  (Read 4454 times)

Re: I got 99 problems...
« Reply #25 on: 05 August, 2018, 04:17:40 pm »
To swell and soften the grains.

25 grams of soaked oats are bulky and filling. 25g dry oats doesn't seem like much/enough.

Even soaked, I wouldn't say 25g is a lot! I use 40g for overnight oats, same as I would for porridge (in the winter)...

Overnight oats are tasty though - Google has loads of ideas for recipes. I like to experiment and keep various flavourings (vanilla essence, cinnamon, lemon essence etc.) in my desk drawer at work, and I brought a grater in to the office kitchen so I could grate apples and carrots. :D

We make our own muesli - rolled oats, toasted barley flakes, wheat flakes etc., add pistachios, pecans, and  dried fruits, generally apricots, dates, prunes, figs, sultanas, all chopped (well not the sultanas) and soak overnight - I used skimmed milk. In the morning top with fresh fruit, atm it’s strawberries and white peaches, add a dollop of yogurt and a few toasted whole almonds. Really keeps you going through the morning!

That sounds amazing. And like too much effort. Why not just buy it? Or is it because of the added sugar etc?

We don’t like the typical additive of milk powder, it’s just not necessary. Plus we buy all organic ingredients from the local health food shop, which helps them survive too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #26 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:36:06 pm »
[quote/]

[Tangential musing] I haven't given this much thought or really studied it in any detail but it strikes me that a high blood glucose is metabolically harmful and could quite easily occur during (eg) a fruit glut.
[/quote]

I agree about the metabolic harm but what did ancient mankind most need to do in the summer?  Store fat for the winter.

So anything that raised your blood sugar needed to be shunted into fat reserves ASAP. For most of the rest of the year you lived on a complex mix of low GI carbs, animal protein and fibre.

The only time of year you needed to worry about your glucose level was in midsummer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:58:31 pm »
We are not the only animals to secrete insulin... (which is just as well or our ID diabetics would be DOOMED even before Brexit)

AIUI obligate carnivores do and cats can develop DM.

I'm sure there's a need for insulin in evolutionary terms.