Author Topic: Half of London is shut today  (Read 2278 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Half of London is shut today
« on: 28 July, 2018, 05:03:05 pm »
There appears to be a large cycling event happen8ng in our capital city this weekend, with have the streets between the City and the west end being closed to motor traffic.

I was a bit miffed when I saw an ordinary cycling in between me and the front of St Paul’s while my camera was still in the depths of my bag. We later saw a small number of recumbents with at least on sub bike and one tadpole trike. Cycles of all shapes and sizes, from town bikes with baskets through folders* of many different manufacture to a seemingly infinite variety of hybrids. And all sorts of other bikes as well.

Though the best part was seen it the hundreds of families with children on seats front and/or back and lots and lots of smalls on their own bikes.

*I believe that it’s the Brompton World Championships this evening as well.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Half of London is shut today
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
Yup. A glorious event. Three of the hatlers made it by 7am for a clear run round empty London streets. We turned for home at 10 before it became unbearably busy. Lots of families. They should do it once a month !!
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »
If we ask nicely, perhaps they'll shut the other half as well, and throw away the key
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2018, 07:24:12 pm »
If we ask nicely, perhaps they'll shut the other half as well, and throw away the key

Well after brexit it'll be a ghost town...

Ben T

« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:17:12 pm »
I don't really agree with these events that block the whole damn road - what about my right to drive >:( :demon:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:42:57 pm »
I don't really agree with these events that block the whole damn road - what about my right to drive >:( :demon:
That’s easy to answer, you don’t have a right to drive.
You can be licensed to drive if you pass a test, and then only on highways where that is permissible. But I suspected you knew that, either that or you’re going to have to come out from under that bridge first  :P
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2018, 11:57:14 am »
Perhaps you should go along one year and see the smiles it generates.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2018, 10:19:05 am »
It also demonstrates that the world doesn't end if the streets are closed to traffic. They should do it every Sunday rather than a token annual event.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2018, 12:01:43 pm »
It also demonstrates that the world doesn't end if the streets are closed to traffic. They should do it every Sunday rather than a token annual event.

Around here it's assumed that the world (read: council's popularity with residents) will end if roads are closed for more than a couple of high-profile events a year.  The really sad thing is that it's probably true.

There might be a bit more scope in That London, on account of the lower car use by residents generally.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2018, 12:13:06 pm »

Should see what happens for the sunday there are people running around central london.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2018, 12:16:19 pm »
Also not half of London, just a bit of the middle bit.

Anyone else wondering what the air quality was like for that time?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2018, 12:37:05 pm »
The only problem I had was getting across town on my own bike to register for Ride London. Very annoyingly there were no clear diversions for cyclists as far as I could tell, and because of Pru's stupid requirement to register in-person the day before, I spent hours trying to negotiate the streets to get to the Excel coming from west London.

Tellingly the "how to get here" page on the Prudential "cycling festival" page doesn't have ANY guidance for cyclists.... https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/events/cycling-show/
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2018, 05:03:32 pm »
Should see what happens for the sunday there are people running around central london.

It's not just one Sunday. If you ever make friends with people into running events you suddenly discover big chunks of central London are closed for all sorts of events a lot of Sundays, that you never hear a thing about otherwise!

Anyone else wondering what the air quality was like for that time?

Stats for Putney High Street on Sunday (which is closed for the sportive):
https://twitter.com/jwoLondon/status/1023922937370476549

I did see someone riding the course on Saturday in a pollution mask, when there wasn't even a whiff of diesel in the air!

« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2018, 08:42:15 am »
One thing that rung out (sorry) on our early morning laps, aside from the cleanliness of the air, was the sheer delight of being able to hear the City's clock bells chiming. I work in the City and only very occasionally do I hear the bells of Bow Church which is pretty much directly opposite where I work.
Rust never sleeps