Author Topic: Word for Mac 2008 query iMac OS 10.13.6  (Read 1058 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Word for Mac 2008 query iMac OS 10.13.6
« on: 17 August, 2018, 10:01:55 am »
If I launch Word from its icon in the Dock it opens with "Template1" and a default Cambrian (Body) font. If I try and reset the default font to Myriad Pro for example - it doesn't subsequently work - all new Word launches from the Dock still open with Cambrian.

If I launch Word from the Applications folder, it opens with "Document1" and the Myriad Pro font.

I have tried going /Users/'username'/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates/Normal.dotm and changing the default font there to Myriad Pro

Any suggestions on how to get rid of that Cambrian (Body) annoyance so that launching from the Dock will be the same as launching from the Applications folder?

BTW, this anomaly wasn't present on previous Mac Mini running Mountain Lion.

I realise it's minor and I've figured a workaround - but stuff like this bugs me  :demon:

Thanks for reading  :)

Re: Word for Mac 2008 query iMac OS 10.13.6
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2018, 10:05:49 am »
I think you'll find that a lot of software which was designed to run on Macs which had the Power PC chip, will not run on the newer Intel chipped Macs.
This is how I've ended up running two Macs - I'm not in a position to replace all of the software on the older one, much of which these days is subscription only.
Probably not the news you were hoping for.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2018, 11:45:41 am »
Hmm, the item in the dock should just be a link to the application. Try deleting and re-adding to the dock.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2018, 11:56:32 am »
Hmm, the item in the dock should just be a link to the application. Try deleting and re-adding to the dock.

Tried that a few times to make sure ;) What does seem strange is from the Dock it opens a blank 'Template1' and from the Applications folder it opens a blank 'Document1'

ian

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2018, 12:25:13 pm »
That's certainly odd. I use 2011 and the link is simply to

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app

The usual trick is to delete the preferences .plist (google 'delete word 2008 preferences plist' for more information) though I'm not quite sure why the opening behaviour is different.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »
The usual trick is to delete the preferences .plist (google 'delete word 2008 preferences plist' for more information) though I'm not quite sure why the opening behaviour is different.

Thanks - just tried removing these:

~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Office Font Cache (12)

But no joy :(

That's certainly odd. I use 2011 and the link is simply to

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app

In 2008 it links simply to /Applications/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Word - so basically the same path.

Rather than get crazy about it, it seems easiest accept that weird shit happens, and just banish the Word icon from the Dock and replace it with a blank .docx file, which does launch with my preferred default Myriad Pro font :)