Author Topic: kick stand for an all road/gravel bike  (Read 2222 times)

kick stand for an all road/gravel bike
« on: 11 September, 2018, 06:53:04 pm »
Howdy,
plans afoot for a family trip next Summer, camping and pulling a trailer with our dogs aboard.
I want to rejig my current all-road bike for the job with as few major changes as possible.
Its a solid bike recently used on TCR.
I'll install a Roberts axle for towing, and hopefully be able to wolf tooth the gears to get a wider spread of low pulling ratios.

What I am scratching my head about is how to install a sturdy kick stand. I have towed stuff before and know the inconvenience of setting the bike to one side while hitched up without some kind of stand.
Ideally a big old double stand like on a moped would be what I was after but I'm not sure how thats going to jive with the chainring up.
Anyone got any thoughts on the best way to go.
Weight isn't to much of a factor as I'll be towing 75lb of dogs and all their crap as well as tents etc.
often lost.

Re: kick stand for an all road/gravel bike
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:00:58 pm »
Most Dutch mama bikes seem to use a Jumbo Ursus. There ought to be cheaper alternatives around.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »
a combination of a click stand and a tough rubber band around the brake lever would be one of the better solutions.

for kick stands, bike needs to be built to be able to accept them (with mounting points near bb or left rear dropout)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:45:56 pm »
Stands mounted at the dropout might foul the hitch mechanism for the trailer, which would be suboptimal.  My fugly Hebie chainstay-mounted stand seems to coexist harmoniously with a Carry Freedom lollipop hitch (other than it being awkward to kick it down with the trailer in place), but I can see how other combinations might be problematic.

The click-stand solution would seem to be a winner in terms of both avoiding major changes and overall stability.

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:59:02 pm »
I have one of these on my hack bike which bolts in the space between the chainstays and works well. It's very stable when mounting my trailer, too.

(pretty much a cheaper version of what ijsbrand was linking to)

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:02:51 pm »
+1 for the Click Stand.

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:14:11 pm »
I love my click stand when touring, but really it is too fiddly and impractical when you have a trailer (as the OP is asking), because changes in the weight distribution of the trailer will destabilise it. The dual leg stand works perfectly, with the bike see-sawing as needed.

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:58:20 pm »
I fitted the stand to the trailer as it was only needed when using the trailer (Bob Yak style trailer so with another vote for elastic band to hold the brake on the trailer then holds the bike upright).

« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2018, 08:10:15 am »
I didn't try the dual-legged stand option for my needs (Genesis Croix de Fer) as there didn't seem enough space behind the BB for the mounting plate.

« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2018, 10:43:42 am »
Looking on my CDFs, there is space but the front derailleur cable would prevent easy fixing.

« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2018, 11:58:25 am »
Thanks for the feedback and links.
Noted on the elastic band hand brake!
I'm a little flummoxed by how the bike will stay upright if the bike stand is put on the trailer?
I have a burley nomad trailer and used the supplied mech to tow it on my knock-about beach cruiser. It doesn't hold the bike up and I have to unhitch or lean the bike against something. Its awkward. I don't have the Roberts axle yet, maybe that will resolve things?
We will likely be using the Burley D'lite (designed for kids, but can be used for dogs and larger than the dog specific burley) so its a dual wheel, not a bob trailer.
often lost.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2018, 01:06:20 pm »

Locking the rear brake on is a good way to improve the stability of kickstands in general; it prevents rocking which causes the stand to dig into soft ground.  (Also good for making bikes stay put on trains.)

Parking brake arrangements I've used, in order of convenience:
  • Dedicated parking/drag brake (or regular brake via cable splitter) on a friction shifter.
  • Toe strap.
  • Velcro cable tie.
  • Hair elastic.
  • Mk 1 rubber band.
  • Re-usable zip tie.

If you're not going down the parking brake route, I reckon the velcro cable tie is optimal, as it's something that can be wrapped around a convenient bit of handlebar and ignored until needed.  Elastic things are more fiddly to get the clamping force right with, and have an annoying habit of snapping.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:30:01 pm »
Thanks for the feedback and links.
I'm a little flummoxed by how the bike will stay upright if the bike stand is put on the trailer?
I have a burley nomad trailer and used the supplied mech to tow it on my knock-about beach cruiser. It doesn't hold the bike up and I have to unhitch or lean the bike against something. Its awkward. I don't have the Roberts axle yet, maybe that will resolve things?
We will likely be using the Burley D'lite (designed for kids, but can be used for dogs and larger than the dog specific burley) so its a dual wheel, not a bob trailer.
A 1 wheel trailer (eg Bob Yak) has a mount that fixes it rigidly to the axle. ie as the bike leans, the trailer also leans. But this won't work with a 2 wheel trailer, it needs to have some way to pivot relative to the bike. So a 2 wheel trailer won't hold the bike up.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2018, 03:07:44 pm »
I find a hair band, wrapped twice around the bar then looped over the brake lever, works well as a parking brake. Certainly well enough to hold a camping-laden bike on Chepstow's steep high street:
https://goo.gl/maps/ySyKZU9GoMF2
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:45:12 pm »
It was an adjustable length kickstand as we knew it would need adjusting but we still had to hacksaw half of it off. The hex grid base of the trailer meant we didn't need to drill any holes in that to attach it.

As said, when deployed, the trailer tilts slightly which also tilts the bike slightly and turns out to be stable without needing brakes if the ground is level. I wouldn't use it for long term parking but when you need to do a quick stop without having to look for a handy tree/wall/railings it works just fine.

For rubber bands I'm a follower of cutting up an old inner tube. Work a treat and less perishable for outdoor life than stationery cupboard elastic bands.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »
With the Bob Yak, you can park it without a stand. ie put the trailer at right angles to the bike, and the handlebars also at right angles. Then it will magically stand up. Does need a fairly large area of flat ground, and a bit of weight in the trailer. But still fun when you figure out how to do it. And sometimes handy if no tree/wall to lean it against.

« Reply #17 on: 16 September, 2018, 01:27:46 pm »
Thanks. Nice set up.
The bob trailer isn't going to be able to carry a dalmatian, a jack russel, and some camping gear though so we will have to go with the 2 wheel options.
The velcro strap round the brakes is gold and I'll see if if I can get a small kick stand somehow fixed to the bike. If not I'll just unhitch.
If the trip next year is a success and we want to do more of the same we will look at having a dedicated rig built up with parking brake/lower gearing/steel fork/bike stand etc.  I don't want to go that route on trip one though incase its an unmitigated disaster!
often lost.