Author Topic: Clicky Knee. Precursor to something more serious?  (Read 1060 times)

Clicky Knee. Precursor to something more serious?
« on: 29 September, 2018, 08:12:58 pm »
Evening
My knee has developed a clickimg feeling when I walk. Come sand goes and it moves around different parts of the knee. When I squat it makes a resounding 'click' on the way down and back up. I'm not getting any pain and no problems wehn cycling so only happens when I put any weight on it.
Cycling wise I'm swapping betwen crank lenghts on different bikes and also between gears and ss. Not sure if this has anything to do with it as is more freqent after ss on a shorter crank.
Any chance this could become more serious?
Cheers
Chris

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Clicky Knee. Precursor to something more serious?
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2018, 09:58:09 pm »
Not necessarily any connection between joint noise and anything else.  Pain is worth having checked out, but absent any other symptoms I'd be inclined to a watching brief. 

In my case I have a very clicky left knee, slightly less on the right, and the left will occasionally give way on me but painlessly. I ascribe it to years of rugby, and just see it as one of those things, symptoms not getting worse. 

No harm in seeing a gp of course if youre worried about it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2018, 12:28:35 pm »
I think ElyDave's opinion and mine are similar.

Pain, locking and instability should get checked out.

Clicking can be left alone.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:03:02 pm »
FWIW My left knee clicks painlessly but quite loudly on slight movement when I sit in this chair.