Author Topic: Increase in H&R  (Read 1872 times)

Increase in H&R
« on: 28 October, 2018, 06:53:33 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45982620

This does not bode too well.
But have already invested in cycle cams as will be cycle commuting again soon

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Increase in H&R
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2018, 12:09:11 pm »
Not much of a surprise if you add in all of the likely contributing factors - reduced policing due to resource cuts and shifting priorities; lack of visible proof that VED has been paid makes it easier for cars to be unlicensed (and therefore certainly uninsured); fake number plates easily available so miscreants know that even if caught on camera they will not be traced; cost of learning to drive and taking the driving test making in tempting for people simply to learn the basics and drive without ever having taken a test; general acceptance of speeding and reckless driving as the norm… ultimately, the scrotes know that they are very unlikely to be caught.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

sib

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2018, 12:16:25 pm »
The VED point always mystifies me.
The DVLA knows all the registered vehicles.
The DVLA knows all vehicles that have been taxed.
Can they not target the ones that are on the first list but not the second ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:30:06 pm »
The VED point always mystifies me.

Yes, shouldn't the police car computer go "Ping!" at the ossifers within whenever they happen to find themselves behind an untaxed vehicle?  Of course, it could be that that happens so frequently that they only bother to act on it if they have suspicion of some other offence being committed...

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:34:13 pm »
Yes, shouldn't the police car computer go "Ping!" at the ossifers within whenever they happen to find themselves behind an untaxed vehicle?
No, because in the days of the VED disc, the offence was not displaying, not not having.

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:42:06 pm »
It's all of a piece: Greater Manchester has seen a reduction in numbers of 2000 actual policemen in the last 8 years or so.  I can't imagine it's any different anywhere else, except possibly Kensington.  I don't think it will have been helped by the likelihood that the "government" is concentrating on Brexit, to the exclusion of practically everything else.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:42:56 pm »
Yes, shouldn't the police car computer go "Ping!" at the ossifers within whenever they happen to find themselves behind an untaxed vehicle?
No, because in the days of the VED disc, the offence was not displaying, not not having.

Driving without insurance is still an offence thobut.

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:43:50 pm »
My post above refers....

« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »

They already do this unless you declare your car off the road (SORN).

Of course there's nothing stopping you driving the car if it's been declared SORN, or if you simply haven't paid.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:12:44 pm »
One missing statistic from that piece is how many / what percentage of Hit and Run drivers remain untraced; if this also rising and if so at what rate.

(declaration of interest
< victim of untraced hit and run)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick