Author Topic: Gin!  (Read 31182 times)

Gin!
« on: 31 July, 2009, 12:13:37 pm »
For those of you who haven't been following it, there has been a pleasant debate in the Telegraph about how to make the perfect gin and tonic. Now, it's not been going on as long as the "dry martini" debate some years ago, nor has it produced a letter of the quality "SIR - if ever one is lost in a jungle, take a warmed tumbler, and pour in equal quantities of vodka and vermouth. Immediately half a dozen people will appear and shriek "that's no way to make a dry martini!" and one will be rescued." (paraphrasing from memory here), but I quite like two of today's efforts:

SIR – The attraction lies not in lemon or lime, or angostura in or out, but in its being served by an attentive husband with expertise born of long experience.

Father’s ruin is Mother’s comfort.

Margaret Taylor
London NW5

SIR – I have tried the recommendashuns of your readersh an conclude that drinking gin strait from the boottle is the only shensible way. An leave me alone. I’m tyred out now. Go away....

Mervyn Woodward
Teignmouth, Devon

;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Gin!
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2009, 01:20:55 pm »
Shplendid!  ;)

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2009, 01:51:51 pm »
As long as it's Hendricks Gin  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »
Na - it has to be Bombay Sapphire  :-* Hoh yessh.

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »
A capful on your early morning grapefruit, perhapsh?  :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2009, 02:55:08 pm »
A capful on your early morning grapefruit, perhapsh?  :)

Don't you mean "a rack-bag full for the DunRun"?   O:-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 05 August, 2016, 07:47:19 pm »
Thought it was time we had a gin thread - didn't realise there was one already, nor that it was so old. So I thought possibly Ian & I could trade gin noms on here, plus anyone else who cares to :D

So, y'day I had 2 new gins, Isle of Harris, which was OK but nothing special I thought.
The 2nd was Electric Spirit Co. Achroous, made in Edinburgh. This one I really liked, very prominent juniper to start, with a licorice finish. If you like your gin very ginny like me, it's a winner.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2016, 07:50:26 pm »
Thought it was time we had a gin thread - didn't realise there was one already, nor that it was so old. So I thought possibly Ian & I could trade gin noms on here, plus anyone else who cares to :D

So, y'day I had 2 new gins, Isle of Harris, which was OK but nothing special I thought.
The 2nd was Electric Spirit Co. Achroous, made in Edinburgh. This one I really liked, very prominent juniper to start, with a licorice finish. If you like your gin very ginny like me, it's a winner.

Just something to chuck out and make some money whilst the whisky matures ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2016, 08:30:55 pm »
We saw some of this at the offie in Belgium, Asparagus gin. I wasn't tempted to buy a bottle.
http://www.spiritsbydesign.com/meyersginM2

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2016, 08:57:09 pm »
There is only one Gin.

Ubeda Gin.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2016, 09:08:46 pm »
I think Ian (otp) may possibly be on holibobs at the moment.
Any discussion involving gin, would probably be lightweight / incomplete without his input.
Where  gin is involved, I believe he has form.

« Reply #11 on: 05 August, 2016, 09:09:30 pm »
We saw some of this at the offie in Belgium, Asparagus gin. I wasn't tempted to buy a bottle.
http://www.spiritsbydesign.com/meyersginM2
AAK!  :sick:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 05 August, 2016, 09:17:25 pm »
I think Ian (otp) may possibly be on holibobs at the moment.
Any discussion involving gin, would probably be lightweight / incomplete without his input.
Where  gin is involved, I believe he has form.

It's not going anywhere :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 05 August, 2016, 09:29:37 pm »
I have posted this before somewhere.

http://www.damhile.co.uk/shop/seaweed

It was, erm, interesting.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2016, 01:58:50 am »
Want tot make my own gin.  In a bath tub ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2016, 03:00:53 am »
Want tot make my own gin.  In a bath tub ;)

Just buy USAnian gin.  You'll be less likely to be arrested and/or blown up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 07 August, 2016, 02:35:26 pm »
I have posted this before somewhere.

http://www.damhile.co.uk/shop/seaweed

It was, erm, interesting.

This makes an amazing dry martini - one of my favourites. A measure of seaweed gin, a drip of dry vermouth (make sure it's fresh! The low alcohol content makes vermouth go off a few months after opening), stir over ice, and strain into a martini glass.

I imagine it would make bloody awful gin and tonic though. Nearly as bad as saffron gin (which makes a wonderful sweet martini, if you use martini rosso).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:31:36 am »
Ooh  interesting.   I might try that.  Thanks Kathy.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2016, 09:56:41 am »
As my mid-Essex yacf riding chums will attest I do like a G&T but given I have a particularly undiscerning palate until recently I always chose the least expensive gin available given all gins, as far as I was concerned, just tasted like gin!

However, last December we were in a nice hotel whose barman knew his gin and introduced me to Sipsmith's - yum, yum yummy! (hic)  This chap also gently poured the tonic down the twisted stem of a long spoon which made the tonic less fizzy so you could taste the gin betterer.  Clever bloke, little wonder one of the female colleagues I was with that evening took him to bed and shagged him silly  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #19 on: 08 August, 2016, 12:06:39 pm »
bought my sister a bottle of Norfolk Gin for her birthday, haven't tasted it but the sampler in the shop smelt superb, light and florally, not over junipered.

I'm out of stock of Tanqueray at the moment, but have a trip to Stockholm this week.  I'll have to do with Plymouth gin for my martinis for now.

As for G&T, OK if you replace the T with soda water and lime
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #20 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:21:34 pm »
Watching this with interest. My fave is Bombay Sapphire but I have to say that my wooden palate appreciates pretty much any gin in a G&T. There must be: gin (obvs), fizzy tonic (full fat not ersatz/unleaded), lots of ice, lemon or preferably lime wedges.

I have dedicated many evenings with my best mate to discovering what makes the most acceptable G&T. Usually we move on to absinthe and forget about how to walk it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:33:10 pm »
Watching this with interest. My fave is Bombay Sapphire but I have to say that my wooden palate appreciates pretty much any gin in a G&T. There must be: gin (obvs), fizzy tonic (full fat not ersatz/unleaded), lots of ice, lemon or preferably lime wedges.

I have dedicated many evenings with my best mate to discovering what makes the most acceptable G&T. Usually we move on to absinthe and forget about how to walk it...

When experimenting with cocktails, I found that gin and Absinthe go reasonably well together.  Still working on the rest of it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:46:50 pm »
I tend to drink beer in pubs but there is a pub in Woodbridge, Suffolk with 200+ different gins and they are very keen for you to avoid buying the usual Gordons etc. I had an American one in there earlier this year which I recall being nice but I'm not sure I can really tell a significant difference between different gins - particularly once mixed with tonic.

There is however, a worrying trend to improve G&T with Fever Tree tonic water (other overpriced brands may be available) which I also think is quite nice but I really can't justify the £6+ I recently paid for Mrs Trekkers G&(F)T just for some over-marketed fizzy water.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #23 on: 08 August, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »
Some gins (I'm thinking particularly of Durham gin, which has a strong aroma of pepper) mix very well with rose lemonade, if you fancy a change.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2016, 06:27:17 pm »
Watching this with interest. My fave is Bombay Sapphire but I have to say that my wooden palate appreciates pretty much any gin in a G&T ...

Exactly, which was why Sipsmiths was such a revelation!