Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3010412 times)

I have been awake all night and I don't know why . Oddly enough at the moment I am feeling okay but I think I will take a sleeping pill shortly as I am planning to go for a cycle ride with a friend on Thursday morning and I don't want to cancel  . :-\
the slower you go the more you see

Oh and when did it become a thing for shampoo to be gluten free?  It's just soap innit?  Soap isn't that well known for its gluten content. 
Slightly pedantically, no, it's detergent rather than soap. If you wash your hair with soap it makes the cuticles stand up which makes it look dull, because of the alkalinity. SOP when lacking shampoo (eg WWII) was to rinse with lemon juice or vinegar after using soap. Shampoo also contains all sorts of other stuff as bulking agents, binding agents, etc.

I also thought you had to ingest gluten for it to cause you problems, or is that not so?
Wikipedia explains, though with (citation needed) so could well be bollocks.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Soap also leaves a calcium stearate scum film in hard water areas, which can conveniently be removed with lemon juice or vinegar.

I'm really looking forward to August of next year when Gladstone-Brookes (Brooks?) will have to find something other to do than badgering people into claiming for PPI compo. and we'll be free of their bloody awful adverts.

There are now radio adverts for people who have been mis-sold savings products by their banks - bought shares products and the value went down so you lost money, make a claim. So those claims companies are just moving on.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm really looking forward to August of next year when Gladstone-Brookes (Brooks?) will have to find something other to do than badgering people into claiming for PPI compo. and we'll be free of their bloody awful adverts.

There are now radio adverts for people who have been mis-sold savings products by their banks - bought shares products and the value went down so you lost money, make a claim. So those claims companies are just moving on.
How on earth can you make a claim for that? There's always that clause "Your investment can decrease in value as well as increase".

Ed: Obviously people will claim for anything, but what I meant was, how can that claim possibly succeed?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have just visited a website where I was invited to click a button labelled "GEOLOCATE ME".  ::-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I have just visited a website where I was invited to click a button labelled "GEOLOCATE ME".  ::-)

You only win if it decided you you were in Arnold, Nottingham.

Beardy

• Shedist
I bought myself a Rubik’s cube recently and have had a bit of fun reliving a small part of my youth.
But it occurred to my while I was research algorithms for solving the cube, even back before the interwebs there were cheat sheets doing the rounds. Now, I’m quite a clever chap, with good spacial awareness and a leaning to mathematics, but I’ve never been able to solve a cube without some help. So how many people do you think actually have the ability to solve a cube from scratch without any quidsnce?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My brother solved one by peeling all the stickers off and sticking them back in the right order...

ian

I solved the Rubik's Cube by levering out a corner piece so I could take it apart and put it back together correctly, pushing the corner back in.

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m not sure that I’d count either of these examples of solving the Cube. It certainly puts the colours of the cube in the correct place, but a solution?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've only ever solved one with the aid of someone else's computer program.

I had a couple of friends at school who could do it, but I don't know if they'd worked it out for themselves, or memorised the algorithm from somewhere.  One was a proper maths prodigy type, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I found that by turning the top (for eg) rank exactly 45 degrees, I could easily leaver out a centre cube. The rest could then  be easily dismantled.
I would leave the 'solved' cube lying around for someone to come across.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

I’m not sure that I’d count either of these examples of solving the Cube. It certainly puts the colours of the cube in the correct place, but a solution?

Yes.

Plus you get to do something more interesting with the time you've saved.

I bought myself a Rubik’s cube recently and have had a bit of fun reliving a small part of my youth.
But it occurred to my while I was research algorithms for solving the cube, even back before the interwebs there were cheat sheets doing the rounds. Now, I’m quite a clever chap, with good spacial awareness and a leaning to mathematics, but I’ve never been able to solve a cube without some help. So how many people do you think actually have the ability to solve a cube from scratch without any quidsnce?

There's a machine which solves the cube in 0.38 of a second here.

ETA - To answer your question - a few times. My spatial awareness is good. My maths is rubbish.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I had a book that taught you various step-by-step methods for the different stages of solving, and I managed to learn them well enough that I could eventually solve it in a few minutes every time.

But that was many years ago and I've long since forgotten them.

Taking the stickers off was always a last resort - you could never get them back on perfectly straight (so it was obvious you'd cheated) and eventually they would lose their stickiness. Pulling it apart was better but do that enough times and it will get to the point where it falls apart of its own accord.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I never figured out if I was simply too stupid to do the Rubik's Cube properly or really smart for solving it in a more lateral fashion so I could do something more interesting, like look at lingerie models in the catalogue. Don't knock the simple pleasures of being a teenager back then (honestly, the internet spoils it). Oh, you know you did. Unless you were a girl. I've no idea how it worked for them. I still don't.

Anyway, I like this. Americanish, obvs (language would have been a lot more fun if Noah had got his way).

I got 'erectile dysfunction' and 'Tourette's syndrome.' Which truly is a fucking disappointment.

Cudzoziemiec

I've just read this in a completely mixed up Graun thing which started off about "monetising your home" and then switched without rhyme or reason:
The things I enjoy doing most (sleeping, mainly) can’t really be classed as hobbies. They are just normal human activities that normal humans do. When I cast around for the slightly more unusual pastimes I enjoy, they are not exactly things you can share with first dates. For example, I really enjoy making bonfires. But telling a girl you just met off Tinder that you love starting fires generally does not result in a second date.
I think they really need to start dating girls off YACF.

Cudzoziemiec

A week ago I "rescued" someone. "Help!" I heard and looked around. "Help me! I'm stuck!" It was a man further down the hill, calling and waving, so I waved back at him and walked over, wondering in what way he was stuck. It seemed he had managed to unstick himself because he also started walking towards to me, but he did want help walking up the hill. "The pavements are so bad." So he took my elbow, blind person style (he wasn't blind) and we walked up the hill following his directions. I'm not entirely sure what his walking problem was, he had a stick but didn't use it and in fact walked quite fast, although with a very heavy, flat-footed gait. Probably not so much a physical problem as a panic or crisis of confidence. He told me about his day and his life. "I've got learning difficulties. Can you understand me?" he repeated several times. I'm not sure whether he meant could I understand his speech or his words (both were clear). When we reached a bigger, flatter road he walked off. "I'm alright now!" Somehow the whole episode made me feel vaguely suspicious of I don't quite know what – not of him, I believed everything he said, but somehow of helping him. Odd feeling.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I always find adults with learning difficulties a bit difficlut to interpret, making sure I'm not assuming too little comprehension/ability or too much.  I had a conversation with a guy at Kings Lynn railway station a few weeks ago, about my Cruzbike and riding Ely to KL,  which was similarly odd through a non LD filter, similarly repetitive. 

On another note, I think Mr Larrington is moonlighting. I got passed by 4 tractors in a row whilst out this morning, all pulling trailer bearing the label "Larrington Trailers"

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

That's the thing though, I don't think it was anything about him that gave me this feeling. I'm not sure he really needed help, but he certainly felt he needed it – fair enough. It was more the act of helping somebody. It's as if I was suspicious of myself.

Cudzoziemiec

Larrington Trailers are a topic on "The Farming Forum"!
https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/larrington-trailers.64786/
They don't seem to have progressed to Yet Another...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
On another note, I think Mr Larrington is moonlighting. I got passed by 4 tractors in a row whilst out this morning, all pulling trailer bearing the label "Larrington Trailers"

IIRC, there used to be a muckspreading contractor in the Fens, name of Ray Larrington.  Maybe?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
For some reason over the last week my BBC iPlayer, 4OD and ITV Player have all stopped working.

I am still able to stream via an Australian browser-based System which meant I could continue to watch the series of Dicte that I really liked.

I can’t watch itv through the web browser either, weird.

Anyway, I have Amazon Prime so thought I’d take a look what’s on there. Quite a lot it seems... but in German. Argh!

Fortunately after a few minutes I discovered the text dt./OV means German & Original Version so I can have it in English too. Phew!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Our lot were originally from the Fens but migrated to the East Riding in the late 19th century.  Grandpa Tommy ended up in the West Riding as a fitter in a wool mill after a period of being a copper in Londonton docklands and a tank-fettler in WW1.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime