Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400438 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1825 on: 06 October, 2018, 06:06:10 pm »
I ran my first event today.  I've been running since about October last year (wobble jogging really) and had worked up to 10km by February.  But I'd mostly just been running as and when I felt like - mostly 5km pre-breakfast plods, very occasional longer weekend run (10-12km).  So in a fit of madness, I entered the local half marathon a month ago, which was today.

The last few weeks I've been attempting to get 16km+ runs in on a weekend, to be sure I'd be capable.  Goal was 1. finish; 2. sub-2 hour; 3. sub 1:50 if at all possible (based on my fastest training run, I thought I could maybe do 1:52.

I got over-excited at the start and went off a bit too quick.  The 10km runners start all mixed in with the half runners, and run the first 6km together, so some people are setting off properly quick. I remembered to turn in down at about 1.5km, so I didn't go off bonkers quick, but looked at my watch at 8km and realised I was still quicker that I had intended to pace.  I felt ok, so thought 'sod it', and carried on at that pace. I'd found someone who was running at similar pace, so just stuck to him.  There  were a couple of big uphill kicks at 16-17km, but most of the last 4km was sort of downhill, so I knew if I could get to 17km, I'd be ok.  Finished in 1:41:20, which was massively quicker than expected.  Hurrah!  It was also good enough for 31st of 269, an age category win and 3rd female.  Double hurrah  :D :D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1826 on: 06 October, 2018, 06:32:37 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

way to go Jasmine!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1827 on: 06 October, 2018, 11:55:21 pm »
Wow!

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #1828 on: 07 October, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »
Well done! You were no slouch on the bike too I seem to remember from long ago... :thumbsup:

« Reply #1829 on: 07 October, 2018, 09:55:51 pm »
Congrats, that is good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1830 on: 08 October, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »
Well done! You were no slouch on the bike too I seem to remember from long ago... :thumbsup:

I lost a lot of form and fitness over the last few years.  Haven't ridden a TT in 3 years and had ballooned to pretty overweight.  Weirdly, a side effect of becoming (unexpectedly) single 6 months ago was that I lost a fair bit of weight and suddenly found that I could commit time to exercise that I previously hadn't been.  It's really good to have something to show for the exercise!

« Reply #1831 on: 08 October, 2018, 03:52:54 pm »
Congrats Jasmine, and all the best to you!

« Reply #1832 on: 08 October, 2018, 05:59:28 pm »
Great result Jasmine.

Went for a hilly on-off-on road run this lunchtime and tried to do a shorter faster run. According to the numbers elevate gives, I did 12km at an average 89hrss/hr. On Friday I'd run a rocky 26km between Langsett and Derwent at average 74hrss/hr.

Back on Zwift tomorrow, but going to go out with a running club for the first time on Wednesday for a 9m @ 8m30s mile pace run. I think I would be okay in the 8m mile group, but in that it's the first time I have been out with them, I'd rather be able to speak.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1833 on: 08 October, 2018, 08:56:21 pm »
Great result Jasmine
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1834 on: 08 October, 2018, 10:08:59 pm »
Jasmin: 1:41 for a half as a first race is a way to go :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. I've got friends doing some decent training who'd be very happy with that time. Now be careful, it can get addictive. I should know having decided to still have a crack at the Lyon half on Sunday despite fracturing my wrist a week prior to the race. Everything was paid for so it would seem silly to just sit at home!

It turns out I can run a half with a fracture, and get a PB too. I'd originally targeted sub 75, but all things considered am very happy with 76:00.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1835 on: 09 October, 2018, 01:31:54 pm »
<stands back and watches the speedy people ;D>
Great running Jasmine/Adamski!

I completed the Clarendon trail half marathon on Sunday in 2:08:31, about 7 minutes quicker than I did the Hants Hoppit in June and on a course with 200' more climbing.  The Clarendon is a great event - really well organised - but tough.  Ideal weather though.  I got my pacing wrong and set off a bit quick aiming (optimistically as it turns out) to get round under 2 hours.  Turns out the first 10k or so had the toughest climbs so I started struggling badly after 11 miles and got overtaken a lot but hung in for my best result this year nonetheless.  I reckon I might scrape under 2 hours on a flatter road run.
Next outing, Great South Run on the 21st.

« Reply #1836 on: 09 October, 2018, 02:19:10 pm »
I think you might be right about it being addictive Admaski.  I live somewhere very hilly (straight out of the house is either a 10% hill up, or 10% hill down) and I tend to do a lot of my running before breakfast, so when I find it hard to judge if I'm getting better.  I went for a run in Cardiff this morning from the hotel and I ran 10km at a pace that I would have been flat out and dying at only 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, the logical conclusion is that I should find a training plan and actively try to train, rather than just do some more running.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1837 on: 09 October, 2018, 03:51:15 pm »
Unfortunately, the logical conclusion is that I should find a training plan and actively try to train, rather than just do some more running.

Well my mate (2:16 marathon runner) says "Run. Run more. Just f**king run." ;D

Is there a local club? You may feel you aren't a good enough runner for one but with a 1:41 half you definitely are!

Have you tried parkrun? 5 km workout and you can easily measure improvements if you turn up fairly regularly. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/penrhyn/ (You're still in Bangor, right?)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1838 on: 09 October, 2018, 08:51:10 pm »
Yes, probably ought to haul myself to a Parkrun, given that I live all of 3 miles from that one.  I've done a couple of speed training sessions with a local club, and you are right, they aren't all super fast (although a lot of the ones who compete are).  They do a series of out and back intervals, so it doesn't actually matter if you are slow. Another reason for going to the club sessions is to meet more people too.  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1839 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:26:37 pm »
some great achievements here lately - congratulations!
meanwhile:

a winter on trainerroad again, methinks

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1840 on: 14 October, 2018, 12:07:50 pm »
You don't need an event to run a marathon.  You can do one from your front door (which is how I set my fastest one).  I use the MapMyRun app to give me a summary of pace for each kilometre.  If you get to 43 (800m) over marathon distance, you can be fairly comfortable you've done the 26 miles and however many yards it takes.

Meanwhile I laced up my running shoes and went for a run in Brighton yesterday, having stayed over after the Joanne Shaw Taylor gig at the Concorde, and managed half-marathon number 69, mostly on the undercliff road, but with a few detours onto the grass trails on the cliff-top and one beach section (shingle, slippery rocks - which did slow me to a walk, and a ramp covered in green slime that was impossible to walk up and I had to find some steps.)  Most of those have been done in training / on my own rather than events.

I was a bit worried about going so far after a 2 month layoff, but went cycling in the rain today with no ill effects, so I'm hoping to ramp up the distances quickly to get prepared for my next running challenge - West Byfleet to Basingstoke following the Basingstoke canal, which is as near as makes no difference 60km.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1841 on: 17 October, 2018, 11:47:41 pm »
Made the silly decision to go with the "medium-fast" group on my 2nd time out with running club, despite only having had 4 hours sleep. Medium fast meant running with people who do ultras. One of the chaps had done the (108 mile) Spine Challenger in under 40 hours, with no sleep. Despite dropping back a bit on the big climb, they said I am in the right group. Hopefully it will become less painful.

http://thumbsnap.com/f/F4BF1Jnh

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1842 on: 20 October, 2018, 02:35:25 pm »
3 x dreadmill runs here this week - too hot and humid for outdoors, even at 7:30 am when I went out for a walk this morning I was sweating buckets

2 x 8km  at 5:00/km pace and 0% incline, just getting the legs used to moving quicker adn keeping the HR down

today 10km using one of the "lets run through pretty scenery" workouts with an average incline of 2%, in 51:54.  Not my fastest, but a nice steady training pace.  HR up to 155.

It's coming back.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1843 on: 21 October, 2018, 07:04:45 pm »
4 weeks in to getting back into running and finally starting to not completely utterly hate running. (Being fat and unfit rarely helps but being 3kg down in that time might have something to do with it.)

Almost, dare I say it, enjoyed the last few runs too. Still a long way to go.

When I get down to 90kg (mid/late December probably) I'll reward myself by adding in intervals again. Ugh, but they work so well it's hard not to.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1844 on: 22 October, 2018, 01:29:46 pm »
Good effort Greenbank.  Still with the base work until you feel ready to move it up a notch.

I finished the Great South Run 2 seconds under my target time of 1 hour 30 mins.  Running with a stinking cold and getting over a calf strain (so no running for the last 10 days) I was happy with that.  Good atmosphere but oh my goodness the amount of plastic waste would make David Attenborough weep.  The bins along the seafront were all overflowing and bottles drifting about the place towards the beach.  Good job it wasn't windy and I hope the organisers / Portsmouth city council are on the case.
No further events booked yet.  I'll settle back into gradually building base miles again and gently ramping up the long Sunday run for a couple of months I think.

« Reply #1845 on: 24 October, 2018, 01:22:11 pm »
2 days off after a heavy week and legs felt fresher. A 2018 record of 29:25 for my usual 5k (in reverse), definitely pushed harder at the end knowing that I was on for a record.

Unsurprisingly a bunch of new records for 2018:-
* Fastest 1km = 5:14 (as the first half of the run is slightly uphill the end of the run is mostly downhill, total elevation gain is only 30m though)
* Fastest mile = 8:44
* Highest VDOT (31.64) - still a long way to go to get to 43
* Lowest beats per mile (1521) which is something I read about on Steve Way's running blog as a way of measuring cardio running fitness (can't imagine getting to 800 like he does)

Weight also down to 95.2kg (again, a long way to go).

« Reply #1846 on: 25 October, 2018, 12:20:56 pm »
Moving up to the "medium-fast" group in running club is helping get my speed and weekly TSS up. Did 7.4km at 4.39m/km (first time it's been sub 5m pace this year) on Monday, decent SST session on Zwift on Tuesday, then did hill reps with the club last night. I spent most of the reps being last to the top, but for the last 3 I managed mid pack - still I was fit to puke by the end, and my left calf and achilles are tweaky this morning - the session was 107HRSS, with a HRSS/hr of 87.4, but that's because we ran to the place we did reps and back. My LTHR is 165-168, and my best 20m last night was 166. It was really tough.

Looking back at 2017, I spent from BCM on in the run up to LEL at ~100CTL, but in prepping for my hernia repair in the January, I was up at 126CTL. My homelife was miserable, but damn, I felt strong.

« Reply #1847 on: 29 October, 2018, 09:48:42 am »
Chilly 11 mile long, slow, mostly trail run yesterday.  Felt ok during and after.  Touch of the DOMS in the knees this morning though.  Prior to this year I'd only ever run over 10 miles on six occasions - each was a half marathon 25 to 30 years ago.  I've now done four runs of 10 miles+ in the last 5 weeks so I'm definitely fitter than I've ever been.  Rest day today.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1848 on: 01 November, 2018, 04:49:00 pm »
Sneaked in a 21087m run yesterday from the Hotel Stucki in Basel, along the Wiese almost as far as Haagen, and back.  Or as you could put it, I ran across an international border when no one was looking and 45 minutes later I ran back again.  The joys of Schengen.  I think it's my 12th unrecorded foray into Germany and back again.  It was a nice way to bring up half-marathon number 70.  A colleague has pointed me in the direction of the Race to the Stones (100km to Avebury along the Ridgeway next summer, which might also get me points for the Madiera Island Ultra Trail.  That's worrying.  I might have to start a new topic - Cross Training: Cycling.

« Reply #1849 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:17:07 pm »