Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 948250 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8150 on: 18 October, 2018, 07:45:19 pm »
The main thing for me about the film is this. It isn't about the moon landing. It is about the man. Get the hang of that factor and the film will be better for the viewer I think.

Mark Commode made exactly that point on his film review thingie the other day.
It's not about a shark, either.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8151 on: 23 October, 2018, 11:11:20 am »
<kim> "hamilton!  you know, i'm still trying to get tickets to your musical"

...embarking on a 5-minute freestyle rap (Hamilton, anyone?)

This Thread Is Getting Confusing For Some People.

Just saying.

« Reply #8152 on: 27 October, 2018, 10:51:30 pm »

"They Shall Not Grow Old" ,  Peter Jacksons First World War documentary.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/16/they-shall-not-grow-old-review-first-world-war-peter-jackson

I saw this at a local cinema, it's on national release & will also be broadcast by the BBC on Armistice Day.    Fantastically well done, but not comfortable viewing. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Samuel D

« Reply #8153 on: 28 October, 2018, 08:03:31 am »
I watched First Man last night. Technically it was exactly as I expected but the emotional result was much more successful than I thought possible. Half the cinema was in tears when Armstrong’s son shook his hand.

It was easier to be a man back then, wasn’t it? Even if it killed you.

« Reply #8154 on: 31 October, 2018, 01:32:13 pm »
Deepwater Horizon. Quite good and really it's the oil industry who push the $$ and don't worry about the safety

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8155 on: 03 November, 2018, 08:59:10 am »
Bohemian Rhapsody.  Takes a lot of liberties with the timeline, and it's a good job Paul Prenter's dead or he would have sued them for character assassination.  Very good though, especially the main cast.  John Deacon's various crap hairstyles are faithfully rendered.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8156 on: 03 November, 2018, 09:19:09 am »
We watched Clue again. Lots of fun.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8157 on: 03 November, 2018, 12:36:24 pm »
Bohemian Rhapsody.  Takes a lot of liberties with the timeline, and it's a good job Paul Prenter's dead or he would have sued them for character assassination.  Very good though, especially the main cast.  John Deacon's various crap hairstyles are faithfully rendered.

I think I'll probably take a punt on this. I'm not the type to whinge  too much about "artistic licence"* taken in these things, and I think I'd get a buzz out of the recreation of some beloved and legendary moments.

(click to show/hide)

Certain movie critics seem a bit surprised by the abbreviation "Bo Rap"; I believe Queen fans have used that almost since the song was first released :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8158 on: 03 November, 2018, 09:14:57 pm »
Black Panther

Meh
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8159 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:08:30 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #8160 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:27:06 am »
Solo - A Star Wars Story.  Usual turgid Ron Howard direction and, apart from a few interesting bits of back story, a messy plot.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8161 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:36:29 am »
Solo - A Star Wars Story.  Usual turgid Ron Howard direction and, apart from a few interesting bits of back story, a messy plot.

Sounds like our neighbours' back garden: busted trampoline, swimming pool filling up with leaves, and bits of brick & concrete all over the shop from where they've been demolishing their barn.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8162 on: 04 November, 2018, 06:44:25 pm »
Certain movie critics seem a bit surprised by the abbreviation "Bo Rap"; I believe Queen fans have used that almost since the song was first released :P

I was a smidge over 13 years old when I bought the single (Nov '75), got the album with Xmas money that year and remained a Queen fan until Freddie's death in 1991.

I had NEVER heard the expression 'Bo Rap' until a Ben Elton interview in relation to his 2112 rip-off 'We Will Rock You'.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

« Reply #8163 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:02:57 pm »
I was a big Queen fan until they became fashionable  :smug:  I even had Hot Space, a record that wasn't released - it escaped.

« Reply #8164 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:21:23 pm »
I was a big Queen fan until they became fashionable  :smug:  I even had Hot Space, a record that wasn't released - it escaped.

I drew the line at Hot Space.

However, I am not drawing the line at shamelessly stealing that description of it.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8165 on: 04 November, 2018, 11:55:37 pm »
I saw them in Hyde Park.

So there.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8166 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:04:33 am »
The Lobster.  Yes, well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8167 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:44:01 am »
Watched Silent Running yesterday. Haven't seen it for about twenty years. Still good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #8168 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:48:08 am »
Was taken to see A Star is Born with lady gaga and bradley cooper.  Good film, Gagas voice is astonishing.

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8169 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:02:14 am »
I had NEVER heard the expression 'Bo Rap' until a Ben Elton interview in relation to his 2112 rip-off 'We Will Rock You'.

I'm sure I remember Kenny Everett using the phrase or saying when the single was first released.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8170 on: 08 November, 2018, 02:24:14 pm »

I'm sure I remember Kenny Everett using the phrase or saying when the single was first released.

Kenny who??

meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/BoRhapMovie

Just saying ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8171 on: 17 November, 2018, 11:24:18 pm »

MTAAW
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8172 on: 17 November, 2018, 11:31:26 pm »
Just watched The African Queen, yet again. Top Bogarting.

Before that though I saw The Silent Enemy,  a fictionalized account of Lionel "Buster"Craig's exploits in Gibraltar during WWIi. Notable for Sid James playing a straight role, which he does very well.

Delving into my fading memory branes,  I'm struggling to think of any others, other than a truck driver in the marvellous Hell Drivers.

(Can you tell I'm having a Saturday night at home?)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8173 on: 18 November, 2018, 01:20:52 am »
'Hell Is A City'. After discussing it in the pubbe on Tuesday evening, lo & behold it appeared on Talking Pictures last night. Just in time to push the record button.

Lots of Manchester I dimly remember as a pre-teen, stuff that's changed radically but still recognisable today and a final scene on a Manchester icon. Top stuff.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8174 on: 02 December, 2018, 01:57:00 pm »
Finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049 last night. Very impressive, beautifully well made and generally good acting, but ultimately left me feeling a bit meh. But then I always thought the original Blade Runner was overrated. For existential sci-fi, it's The Matrix every time for me (but only the first one, not the sequels).

It's also too long. Could do with being cut by at least 30 minutes.

One thing I didn't quite understand was who was firing on the convoy as they approached the airport towards the end... Was it airport security because they were flying in restricted airspace? I didn't quite get why they needed to go off world anyway, but I suppose it helped move the plot along.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."