Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 135058 times)

Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #400 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:12:38 pm »
It's wildlife, and it's random... very random.

Raccoons are riding wild hogs into battle against the possums. I guarantee you the media will be completely silent about it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrheBBvU4AAEfk7.jpg
https://twitter.com/michaelkeyes/status/1060701578473152512
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #402 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:00:22 am »
https://twitter.com/centerforbiodiv/status/1070451281033093122?s=21

I don’t think I’d like this chap sitting on my knee  :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

essexian

« Reply #403 on: 12 December, 2018, 01:24:31 pm »
Okay, may get some stick for this but.... I have just taken a grey squirrel down to our local rescue centre as we think it has had a stroke and has gone blind; it was not able to walk in a straight line, climb trees and/or avoid walls etc.

Given we have 11 cats on the property currently: four of them in kitten form who haven't learnt yet not to chase squirrels as to do so tends to ends with them being bitten etc, I thought it best to take it to someone who could look after it until it dies, rather than something killing it.

Yes, yes, I know grey squirrels are considered to be pests but I for one cannot stand seeing animals in distress, hence my action. I am going to phone back on Friday to see how it is getting on.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #404 on: 12 December, 2018, 07:02:10 pm »
I don't think they're allowed to release greys back into the wild once captive...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

essexian

« Reply #405 on: 13 December, 2018, 07:10:39 am »
I don't think they're allowed to release greys back into the wild once captive...

I think you are right but frankly, given how poorly the squirrel was, I doubt it would ever manage in the wild again. I would not be surprised if the rescue centre did not give it a day and then decide to put the poor thing out of its misery. If it had stayed in our garden with all the cats we have and with me having to hand feed it, I doubt it would have lasted much longer anyway.

Much better IMHO to go into the next world quickly and painlessly. I know people hate greys, but to me they are just another animal who needed help, something I am hard wired to provide.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #406 on: 16 December, 2018, 08:32:18 am »
How come I've hardly seen a goldfinch, a greenfinch, a long tailed tit, etc etc all summer, but within a day of putting out my winter bird feeders, they are all queueing up in the bushes for their turn on selecting which seeds they like best in my feeders and chucking the rest away? Where do they all go all summer and how do they know that I've put the feeders out?  Is there some sort of LAN or bush telegraph?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #407 on: 16 December, 2018, 11:20:31 am »
If you're not feeding them the rest of the year that's probably why you're not seeing them - they're in someome else's garden that feeds them.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #408 on: 16 December, 2018, 11:45:44 am »
You might be better having a couple of feeders with single seed varieties rather than mixed feed. Less will be discarded and wasted.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #409 on: 16 December, 2018, 11:49:06 am »
If you're not feeding them the rest of the year that's probably why you're not seeing them - they're in someome else's garden that feeds them.

Mercenary lot, aren't they?  No loyalty.  I keep them fat all winter and then they go off and gorge on someone else's feeders.  Just when there's loads to eat in my garden anyway, and evolution has well prepared them for that.

But I reckon that they must oscillate between gardens in the winter - there were dozens here a few minutes ago, now nothing.  Give them half an hour and they'll all be back again.  Contrary lot.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #410 on: 16 December, 2018, 11:49:35 am »
We only have single seed feeders due to the discard problem.
Because rats.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #411 on: 16 December, 2018, 11:59:19 am »
You might be better having a couple of feeders with single seed varieties rather than mixed feed. Less will be discarded and wasted.

I'd thought about that, but was wary of buying a single feed that they either don't like, or only attracts a limited number of species.

The feeders (mixed and a peanut feeder), hang in a rose arch outside my conservatory window - so when I'm at the computer or practicing my sax, I can watch 'my' birds. I have another peanut feeder and a flat block elsewhere in the garden. The first year I did it the 'discarded' seed fell on the lawn underneath and the ground-feeding birds (blackbirds, doves, pigeons, robins) paddled the grass to death.  Last year I put a large board across the arch, a couple of feet underneath the feeders, and now the ground feeders patrol the board and clean up - with minimal spillage onto the grass, which now survives the winter.

As I sit here, there's a male sparrow chucking seeds out of the feeder as fast as he can, and a male blackbird underneath with discarded seed bouncing off him as fast as he can pick it up.

May have to introduce a registration system though, to encourage loyalty amongst my visitors..... We are on the edge of open farmland though with loads of hedges and trees for them to scavenge in anyway.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #412 on: 16 December, 2018, 12:06:26 pm »
How high is the platform under your feeders? We have the same problem with the grass. I wouldn't mind if it was just blackbirds etc but it's mostly fat toonser (trans: Aberdeen speak for a city dweller) pigeons, they get in so fast the blackbirds don't get much of a look in).

We used to have a feeder with sunflower hearts and a feeder with niger for the finches, which they seem to have gone off and now everything is just eating the sunflower hearts.

Also, our cats will sometimes eat the seeds lying on the ground  ???

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #413 on: 16 December, 2018, 01:23:24 pm »
About 4' - 1200mm above the ground and about 2' below the feeders.  The board is about 30" by 18" and is 1/2 ply, suitably weatherproofed.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #414 on: 06 January, 2019, 02:54:24 pm »
LIDL are offering their spotter scopes again, for around £25. Handy little device with a tripod, and not bad optics.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Steph

« Reply #417 on: 06 January, 2019, 05:39:01 pm »
https://www.offerscheck.co.uk/auriol-spotting-scope/lidl/2014/kw-49/221738

That says the offer was in 2014  ???
It is a review site; they have had them before. The scopes are stacked up in the Horley branch today, but no advertising I can see.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #418 on: 06 January, 2019, 05:40:53 pm »
I couldn't see owt on the website.

Steph

« Reply #419 on: 07 January, 2019, 05:50:01 pm »
I mentioned it to a bird forum, and they checked other Lidl shops. Looks like it might just be my local shop getting rid of some old stock.

Ben T

« Reply #420 on: 05 February, 2019, 11:11:32 pm »
Domestic cats would be extinct if they didn't bury their own shit. It's an evolutionary trait that makes humans choose them instead of dogs. Which they need, really, because they're aloof. Dogs don't need it, because people put up with their shitting because they're friendly, but I bet in another few generations they will evolve the ability to do it, as it will cause whatever breed comes up with it it to be more popular and thus survive more/be more prevalent.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #421 on: 01 April, 2019, 11:15:29 pm »
A small black & white cat keeps coming to our kitchen door but walks away before I can open it and seems unable to use the cat flap, which our cats use.

This cat resembles one of the ferals that appeared in our hedge 20 months ago and we had rehomed. I don't know if White Nose is 'our' White Nose, who has somehow come 'home' or a different feline.

David thinks White Nose was rehomed too far away to have returned.

Blackie and White Nose were nose to nose through the glass door earlier.

Blackie and 'our' White Nose were litter mates.

« Reply #422 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:12:35 am »
We lost one of our three Embden geese just before Christmas, so we're hoping to bring up some goslings this year.  We're left with a gander (Clarence) and a goose (Geri), who I think are father and daughter.  With hopes of diversifying the gene pool, I've been given three (hopefully fertilised) Brecon Buff eggs by a neighbour, which I slipped into Geri's nest this morning.  In order to get her to go broody, I've left her own eggs in there, but I don't want them to hatch.  Should I
a) get some of these,
b) buy some eggs from the butcher, which should be unfertilised, or
c) hard-boil her own eggs and pop them back into the nest?

I'm thinking that, since we'd rather keep a female rather than male gosling, I'd take a punt on which one to keep at 16 weeks based on the colour of the down and the pitch of the call (I don't feel qualified to try vent-sexing!).  I've got a friend who'll happily accept juveniles to his flock.  (Of course, there's a 1-in-8 chance of them all being male, and it's not a foregone conclusion that they'll hatch out.  I'm wary of premature poultry enumeration ;D)

Any thoughts or words of wisdom/experience?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #423 on: 18 April, 2019, 06:47:26 am »
If you're anatidaephobic do not click this link: https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/2331812880172281/
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #424 on: 27 April, 2019, 05:11:19 pm »
The magnetic catch on our cat flap has failed. I don't know if the magnet has disappeared or just weakened.

I'm sitting in a draught that is strong enough to drive the feline to rest elsewhere.

PetSafe sell replacement magnets, as part of a hardware kit for their cat flaps. There are 24 pieces in this kit, priced at a seemingly reasonable £4.99
+ £3.99 postage.

So I have just spent £9 on a small magnet and two dozen bits of excess hardware as David demanded.