Author Topic: The Bike Show - Audax  (Read 9242 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
The Bike Show - Audax
« on: 30 October, 2013, 09:29:07 am »
It has taken a while but they have covered it at last.

Online version HERE

Good presentation by Kieran Yates with excellent interviews with both DanW and Manotea 

Well done chaps :thumbsup:

H

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: The Bike Show - Audax
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2013, 10:51:25 am »
I listened to it last night - good work to all those involved, I think AUK came across well and we didn't sound too much like nutters.

Obviously the truth is somewhat different!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2013, 11:03:42 am »
The ‘Truth’ about Audax is only spoken about on one day each year. The last day of the season which happened to coincide with All Hallowed’s eve.
This is not the case anymore, so the ‘truth’ may never be told again.

hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2013, 11:39:38 am »
With a reach of 15,000 listeners, this struck me as the kind of thing we should do more of to raise our profile in the cycling community.  I thought it highlighted the audax difference.  Adventuring and personal challenge.  Good stuff.

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2013, 11:42:12 am »
PS: I found out about it on the Faceache group and here.  AUK might usefully link to it on their website or slip it into bike radar etc.  to reach out beyond the usual crowd.  I'm going to link to it on my club website, for example.

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2013, 11:49:33 am »
The Solihull News local paper has over 15,000 readers.

Maybe that's why Solihull Cycling Club has over 500 members, and other clubs in the area have barely 50.

mikewigley

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2013, 12:18:59 pm »

Maybe that's why Solihull Cycling Club has over 500 members, and other clubs in the area have barely 50.

I think I missed your point here

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2013, 12:59:09 pm »
It's good, but it's not Adventure Show good.  ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2013, 12:59:57 pm »
I look forward to hearing the latest podcast in the next few days. I'm always a bit behind the times.

It might be worth noting that the Bike Show has done several features on Audax over the years, including one with HK. http://thebikeshow.net/?s=audax

We haven't managed to talk Jack into a long brevet yet. Perhaps somebody living in Wales may have more success. The Bryan Chapman would be a good subject for the Bike Show from the 'inside'.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2013, 01:23:17 pm »
I'd never heard of the Bike Show before...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 30 October, 2013, 01:26:10 pm »
I've not listened to the programme yet but as LWaB says, this isn't the first time he's covered audax - he did a feature on the 'Uts a while back, and rode the Up The 'Uts 200, iirc.

I've corresponded with Jack Thurston via twitter on the subject in the past and he definitely seems keen, though extreme endurance doesn't appear to be his thing. Still, he's a useful advocate and AUK would do well to exploit his enthusiasm.

The Bike Show is always interesting and well worth listening to whatever subject it's covering.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 30 October, 2013, 01:28:43 pm »

I'd never heard of the Bike Show before...

Maybe because it's a London-only broadcast. I subscribe to the podcast. Highly recommended. They had a great couple of programmes on the history of Raleigh not so long ago.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #12 on: 30 October, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »

I think I missed your point here

Sorry. Its a bit cryptic.

Solihull CC get in the local rag nearly every week. Someone at Solihull CC ( Its prob Phil Upton who is a BBC Radio WM presenter ) submits reports to the local press.

The 'local' press for AUK is CW and the host of Cycling monthly glossies.
Does anyone send ride reports?

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #13 on: 30 October, 2013, 03:19:37 pm »
I've not listened to the programme yet but as LWaB says, this isn't the first time he's covered audax - he did a feature on the 'Uts a while back, and rode the Up The 'Uts 200, iirc.

I've corresponded with Jack Thurston via twitter on the subject in the past and he definitely seems keen, though extreme endurance doesn't appear to be his thing. Still, he's a useful advocate and AUK would do well to exploit his enthusiasm.

The Bike Show is always interesting and well worth listening to whatever subject it's covering.

From the results pages, it looks like he's done a handful of 100/150/200km Audax rides over the past few seasons.

The podcast is usually very good, and I think has quite a wide following even outside of London. He's a good person to have on 'our side'.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #14 on: 30 October, 2013, 04:53:11 pm »
The ‘Truth’ ....

... you can't handle the Truth. Son, we live in a world that has wheels, and those wheels have to be ridden by those with bikes. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility then you can possibly fathom. You may curse us. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps small bike shops in business. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on my bike, you need me on my bike. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent on the road. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under a blanket whilst I'm grimping up Pen-y-pass, and then questions the manner in which I do it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you get on a bike and ride a Brevet. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think.

I think they must have cut that bit out...

hillbilly

« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2013, 05:04:50 pm »
 ;D

I think that deserves a link to an attack of the ROFLcopters

http://www.gifbin.com/983168

« Reply #16 on: 30 October, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »
The ‘Truth’ ....

... you can't handle the Truth. Son, we live in a world that has wheels, and those wheels have to be ridden by those with bikes. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility then you can possibly fathom. You may curse us. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps small bike shops in business. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that bike, you need me on that bike. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent on the road. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under a blanket whilst I'm grimping up Pen-y-pass, and then questions the manner in which I do it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you get on a bike and ride a Brevet. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think.

Excellent :)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #17 on: 30 October, 2013, 05:36:15 pm »
I'm listening to it now... brilliant stuff.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18 on: 30 October, 2013, 06:15:16 pm »
The ‘Truth’ ....

... you can't handle the Truth. Son, we live in a world that has wheels, and those wheels have to be ridden by those with bikes. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility then you can possibly fathom. You may curse us. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps small bike shops in business. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that bike, you need me on that bike. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent on the road. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under a blanket whilst I'm grimping up Pen-y-pass, and then questions the manner in which I do it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you get on a bike and ride a Brevet. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think.

POTD :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #19 on: 30 October, 2013, 06:19:22 pm »

Of course it could be the opening of a local cycling circuit , Tudor Grange, and the success of their Go Ride programme
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/go-ride/article/goride20130821-Solihull-CC---From-Grass-Roots-to-the-World-Stage-0

Wal

« Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2013, 08:26:00 pm »
Inspiring stuff, I liked the phrase, "winter miles means summer smiles," better look out those snow chains!

W.

« Reply #21 on: 30 October, 2013, 08:46:29 pm »
It definitely is a great podcast, possibly the best cycling one available online in my opinion. He covers all sorts of topics, and brings in lots of interesting people. Well worth downloading former editions through iTunes! I don't think you can listen to it on the radio outside of central London, and even then, you can only catch it in certain areas.

For those of us in the SE, his book Lost Lanes is also very good even though his routes may not be the most challenging - they certainly are very scenic and make for a nice Sunday pootle at not-audax speeds.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #22 on: 30 October, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »
Jack is brilliant - he also does a podcast for Rouleur magazine.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #23 on: 30 October, 2013, 09:57:48 pm »
The ‘Truth’ ....

Awesome - on par with 'Audaxspotting' :)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 30 October, 2013, 10:09:33 pm »
Inspiring stuff, I liked the phrase, "winter miles means summer smiles," better look out those snow chains!

W.

It's alternative is the phrase "Winter pies means summer sighs". I think I resemble the second more than the first :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!