Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 402935 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #1575 on: 15 January, 2018, 10:34:17 pm »
You know what's worse than computers?  Portable computers that run smartphone OSes.  Not only are they approximately 5 times as boring as proper computers, but all the information about them is from semi-literate millennials on horrible web forums.  Those guys take cargo-culting to a whole new level, and you can't just exclude 'Ubuntu' from your search terms to filter out the idiots like you do when seeking enlightenment for grown-up Linux problems.

Anyway, having jumped through some nasty Windowsy hoops to flash the recovery on my Galaxy Tab S2, I've hit a wall by discovering - about 3 iterations of mkfs.ext4 too late - that there are in fact two different (and innacurately labelled) flavours of LTE 9.7" Galaxy Tab S2, and that SM-T819 (AKA gts210ltexx) is not the same thing as SM-T815 (AKA gts210velte).  Bastards.

I've managed to un-brick it and gain root access, but unless either  a) LineageOS starts supporting the newer model  or b) I miraculously find myself arsed to do all the work myself, it looks like I'm stuck with the invisible Samsung quick settings GUI for a while longer.

Even when this stuff goes right, it's unsatisfying in exactly the way that ball bearings aren't.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1576 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:24:55 am »
I've just found the computer rant thread when it is on Page 64.

Am I the only one to find this pleasing?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1577 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:55:24 pm »
Skype - a steaming pile of shit before Microsoft bought it.  A steaming pile of shit when Microsoft killed MSN messenger. A steaming pile of shit today.

God I miss MSN messenger
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1578 on: 23 January, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »
Adobe arseabout addin for Microsiths Word.  So badly written that it corrupts my heading styles and leaves my macros unable to run.  Fortunately my intercept of the save command which timestamps files no longer works so I can't inadvertently roll your demented changed back into my document as I can no longer save the document.

If it weren't for your ability to remap the outline level in Word to allow a different hierarchy for the bookmark toc I'd have dumped you years ago.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1579 on: 26 January, 2018, 04:32:11 pm »
Can't begin to describe the surreal tizzy Mme T42 got herself into trying to connect to our wifi and install Firefox on her Macbook. Nor yet the screaming frustration I felt trying to talk her through it. Picking locks with wet herrings wasn't in it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

SoreTween

« Reply #1580 on: 27 January, 2018, 06:53:13 pm »
The BA website:
Laptop in hovercraft mode and frozen on the landing page if I use IE 11, cannot access anything.
In firefox I can get past the home page but I cannot book anything because the to/from date fields are locked on dd/mm/yy and cannot be altered.

Never mind why do such programmers get paid, why are they allowed access to oxygen?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1581 on: 27 January, 2018, 09:45:36 pm »
Never mind why do such programmers get paid, why are they allowed access to oxygen?
Because the bean-counters think cheap == good and instead of hiring someone who knows how to write production quality code, but costs GBPM they will instead hire some fresh-faced youngster who should still have stabilisers on his or her code but only costs GBPN where N << M.  Bean-counters can't see past next week's wages bill and haven't got a fucking clue how much bad software _really_ costs to fix.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #1582 on: 28 January, 2018, 05:39:55 pm »
I'm wondering in an age where we've harnessed the power of quantum mechanics, stretched our reach to Pluto and beyond, and so on, why we can't come together and write an e-commerce page that allows the input of credit numbers that include spaces. The spaces are there for a reason.

(OK, I know it's possible, I did use a cool one that actually made the form look like the card itself, and you just filled the numbers in the correct spaces as they are on your card, which is the way it should be done.)

Chris S

« Reply #1583 on: 29 January, 2018, 08:28:36 am »
Yaaaaay!! It's not even half-eight on a Monday morning, and things have already turned to shit.

> nslookup <someserver>

Server: ns.yourdomain.foo
Address: 192.168.1.2

Name: <someserver>
Address: 192.168.1.14

> ping <someserver>

Ping request could not find host <someserver>.

FUCK OFF!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1584 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:22:33 am »
Presume youve already tried this, but...

Could it be that the local machines DNS cache is being hit but is stale and so its not querying the server?
Try flushing the local DNS cache.

Chris S

« Reply #1585 on: 29 January, 2018, 11:13:40 am »
Yeah, that worked - but I just like things to work on Mondays, y'know?

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #1586 on: 29 January, 2018, 07:17:48 pm »
Please may we have more Java and Adobe updates?
AAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Everyone's favourite windbreak

ian

« Reply #1587 on: 29 January, 2018, 07:33:43 pm »
Things have been a lot quieter since I dumped both Java (no really, I don't want your fucking Yahoo spambar) and Flash (no, I just don't want your resource hogging turdware).

Mind you, if you want to see updates lining up in their implausible multitudes, try an infrequently used Lubuntu virtual machine.

« Reply #1588 on: 29 January, 2018, 07:39:57 pm »
Java updates are on a pre-determined schedule and usually quarterly (unless there's some critical vulnerability that prompts expedited patching).

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alerts-086861.html

https://java.com/en/download/faq/release_dates.xml

(I'm, sadly, on the receiving end of these at work [not Oracle] as I have to bundle the new JRE into our product after each update.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1589 on: 01 February, 2018, 01:20:30 am »
Eleven hours.  Eleven fucking hours to find the cause1 of $THING not working properly!  Gagh!

1: "_" instead of "." in a Windows batch file.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1590 on: 01 February, 2018, 01:14:21 pm »
I once flew 2 hours to St Louis (I was living nearby at the time), and had two days scheduled with a customer to (what turned out to be) just add a ; to a config file.

(There was a typo in an IP address in the network plan that was taped to the desk which was the root cause of this problem.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #1591 on: 02 February, 2018, 05:53:35 pm »
In my experience from the wonderful world of IT, the humble ; has a lot to answer for.

SoreTween

« Reply #1592 on: 04 February, 2018, 12:26:01 pm »
Microfuckwits of Redmond for a change :-(  All I did was change the PSU in my computer and I've had to:
  • remap the drives to my NAS (just about fair enough, it has changed IP address at some point)
  • delete and reinstall my printer
  • sacrifice goats to get the mapped drives to my laptop working again

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1593 on: 04 February, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »
Only goats ?!?!? Normally Micky$oft requires more offerings
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1594 on: 08 February, 2018, 03:57:09 pm »
Collaboration tools. Why is it that anyone whoever creates collaboration tools always feels the need to do something completely different from everything else already out there? I'm sure there are some people using individual collaboration tools in small teams to great success, but in a corporate environment we are limited to the mighty Money$coff for the most part. On my PC I have outlook connected ot exchange, with OneNote sort of working with it, SharePoint with its wacky file management and sharing schemes and it's wonderful 'academy', O365 with Teams, Yammer for corporations, Office 2016 pro Skype for Business, amd MS Project 2003. some of these things talk to some of the others, but many lie dormant as they don't talk to other things or no one else uses them to talk to any one. I've also tried to use different stand alone time managers on my ipad/iPhone or fancy schemes on outlook, the lack of interconnectivity with work streams means that most lie dormant somewhere on the rusty iron or in the silicon.

I actually use a paper notebook to track what I've got to do because it's the only think I can rely on to note bork at an inopportune moment, and can take inputs form any system or person without interface problems1 

1. That's actually a lie, because if I'm not wearing my hearing aids, I don't here what the boss says very clearly at all  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TheLurker

« Reply #1595 on: 08 February, 2018, 08:51:22 pm »
.Net Core 2  JSON serialization.

Look just fucking well serialize the data, do NOT sodding well monkey around with the capitalization of property names.  If we want to use Pascal case rather than camel case or even some horrific combination of the two that's OUR fucking decision. You are just a poxy transport mechanism so sod off out of it and stop pissing about with data content.

« Reply #1596 on: 15 February, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »
Dear manufacturers.  I have no problem in you putting two mini display ports on my laptop. But did they have to be so close together that I can't fit one mini dp cable and one mini dp to dp adaptor. You tosspots.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1597 on: 18 February, 2018, 10:25:01 pm »
Microsith!  Take your wanky "Smart" quotes and stick them up yer chuffer >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SoreTween

« Reply #1598 on: 25 February, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »
Dunno if it is Amazon shysters or SanDisk marketing to blame but I have three 64Gb SanDisk C10 XC I MicroSD cards that achieve a sustained data write rate of 2.x MB/s.  C10 is supposed to mean 10MB/s minimum so not particularly close to meeting their claim  >:(  Missed the returns window on Amazon too  >:( >:(

Two Kingston 32Gb cards hit exactly 10 MB/s so the replacements will be Kingston and will not be coming from Amazon.

TheLurker

« Reply #1599 on: 25 February, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »
Microsith!  Take your wanky "Smart" quotes and stick them up yer chuffer >:(
This.  Thank $deity$ for the Visual Notepad formatting stripper. :)