Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 470803 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2250 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:12:14 pm »
Loads of ice is key.  Especially in this heat.  4 bags of cheap iceland frozen peas large size.

wrap one in a damp cloth and place on foot moulded to shape.  leave for 15-20 minutes.

put in freezer.

30 minutes later
use the next bag

Repeat for 4 weeks

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2251 on: 11 July, 2018, 11:10:36 am »
First 5-min session on the turbo since my faux pas on the stairs last week.  (Diagnosis (own): minor external-quad tear & severe ileo-tib tendinitis.)

Outcome: mild pain sitting down, about 3 on a scale of 10 rising to 7 when I stand on the pedals.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2252 on: 13 July, 2018, 06:10:33 pm »
Physio diagnosis - torn ligament in mid-foot. 6-8 weeks to be in good shape, probably another month to be able to run properly. Just in time for autumn and darkness. :(
Manipulation cleared loads of the swelling, ice and elevation every day should help with the rest (I still have huge bruising, a full 12 days after I did it). Gonna try swimming to see if I can keep some cardio fitness, though I suspect much of my hard won FTP will have disappeared by the time I can actually work hard on the bike. :(
I can do core stuff though - loads of crunches, planks (on my shins) and so on, and bodyweight squats to maintain some power. Maybe if I do enough of that I can get more aero and the loss of power will be less noticeable!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2253 on: 13 July, 2018, 11:00:24 pm »
What do we want?
Competent Doctors.

When do we want 'em?
About eight hours ago!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2254 on: 14 July, 2018, 07:52:10 am »
Doc: at least two more weeks sans vélo and then, if no better, an echogram.

July seems to be my favourite month for sitting around moaning while my condition goes out the window. Third time since 2013.

« Reply #2255 on: 14 July, 2018, 05:23:02 pm »
Swimming wears out my shoulders. When I forget not to kick it hurts my foot too! However, it's better tan not doing anything.  I'll have to build up the distance though, otherwise I'll make myself completely useless!

« Reply #2256 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:24:56 pm »
Curse progress and the Nanny State. Once upon a time one could buy Solarcaine, and it had, as the name suggests, a topical anaesthetic in it, namely Novocaine. Excellent for scrapes, bites, minor burns, saddle sores.... The product still exists, but even in the Good Ole USA it only has Aloe Vera in  >:(.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2257 on: 24 July, 2018, 02:07:10 pm »
I've done swimming 2 Saturdays in a row. I am getting better at swimming, but I'm not getting my HR very high (100 ish if I believe my watch), and I can only manage 20-30 minutes before my arms/shoulders are worn out. However, the ice/elevation has made a significant difference over the last week and my foot is much improved - I'm going to try riding my bike this evening (stiff clipless shoes should help). I won't resume training until next week at the earliest though - it will be interesting to see how much my FTP has gone down (will probably test a week on Saturday).

« Reply #2258 on: 25 July, 2018, 03:38:57 pm »
I rode my bike on the turbo last night for 10 minutes. I tried to keep a reasonably spinny cadence in a lowish gear, so not producing too much power. My foot noticed when I tried to pull on the upstroke, but it was otherwise OK except for when I unclipped, which hurt lots. I'm going away this weekend, but hopefully I will be able to ride the turbo properly when I get back.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2259 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:23:23 pm »
I was supposed to be seeing the local ortho hospital physician led shoulder team today and having Xrays.

But upon reading my medical history (rather than the outline which went with referral) the lead consultant decided my condition was not within his remit of "sports injury" and cancelled the appt on me. He tried to suggest I went back to hand surgeon which for shoulders is useless! Fortunately PALS are brilliant by email and I got them to ask scaredy doc for a named SHOULDER bod for my GP to refer me to.

GP is lovely and has sorted the new referral. PALS will try and expedite the appt cos I've already waited 3.5 months. 

Good thing I know how to wrangle the NHS really... And I have a Plan C. If next doc can't/won't treat me, I want that in writing on headed paper with reasons (if nothing else useful for battering fuckwits at the DWP with) and I'll seek referral back to RNOH Stanmore via my "open appointment" letter or my GP.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2260 on: 15 August, 2018, 04:15:30 pm »
Decided to ignore cardiologist-imposed heart rate limitations. Killjoy wuz here, duly ejected.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2261 on: 15 August, 2018, 08:13:54 pm »
Bizarre sking symptoms, on my shins this time, but I've had similar on my chest before. 

Post run today, my shins were covered in what looked like tiny blisters, fulll of fluid, clear.  No pain, but qute itchy.  Now I've had similar before after riding the bent, so belly up, with my zip partway down and getting that classic sunburnt triangle.  I ended up looking like human bubble wrap until the skin peeled.

I'm assuming it's the same on my legs?  They would have had lots of sun and wind exposure last week - arm warmers or long sleeves worn, but not long legs - so I assume windburn a possibility.  A scrub in the whower with a buff has got rid and no pain now. I'm asuming dried skin, sweat bubbling underneath and can't penetrate.

Anyone else had similar?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2262 on: 16 August, 2018, 08:31:06 am »
AKA further symptoms of exposure to ionizing radiation - too much sun.  Seen it many a time on myself & others. Various folk have uttered the word precancerous in portentous tones but worrying about it'll have worse effects. Slap on some factor 108 next time as a nod to medical piety.

« Reply #2263 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:08:31 am »
My foot is 95% better, but the last 5% is taking forever. I can ride my bike, even the fixie, so long as I don't do low cadence high force riding. So no steep hills (or even rises) and my foot survives without too much discomfort. Definitely can't run though.
The physio has me doing calf raises and stretches and rolling a golf ball (couldn't find one, using a pool ball) under my foot every day.  Last night I woke up with pain in my big toe joint, and it turned out to be resolved by stretching the front of my shin. I guess it's agonist/antagonist, but it's really annoying. I remember reading about an american footballer who had a Lis Franc sprain basically learning to pick things up and write and stuff with his toes as a means of making the foot dextrous and working all the little muscles/ligaments in there - I wonder if that's worth a go. Will experiment before the next appointment (a week on Friday).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2264 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:46:48 am »
Sounds wearing.  From one unwise ride in the mid-80s I took away ACL damage that still niggled 10 years later, and tendinitis caused by the wrong handlebar inclination in 2011 still bothers me on occasion - cut my steak at the wrong angle and the pain makes me drop the knife.

Fortunately the GP had the perfect remedy: "with your coronary troubles you shouldn't eat steak". Thanx, doc.

Anyway, hope the 5% comes to order PDQ.

ElyDave

« Reply #2265 on: 22 August, 2018, 03:39:43 pm »
A potentially revolutionary new insulin, developed right here in the UK.  This would be a lifechanger for so many T1 diabetics - just imagine not having to think 4 hours ahead to go for a ride or a run, turn down your pump/reduce your injection, go high in the meantime etc, just eat as normal and step out of the door, letting the smart insulin do it's things, just like a normal person .  Let's hope this kind of pioneering research doesn't disappear from our shores on 29th March 2019 thanks to a bunch of short-sighted xenophobes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45268904

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2266 on: 22 August, 2018, 03:59:40 pm »
Agree with you there.

I saw in Nature today that succinate causes mice to burn brown fat and lose weight, with implications for the obese (e.g. a licence to eat even more).  To do so it triggers the standard heat-producing reaction, meaning that the gluttonous who are hot & sweaty will become hotter and sweatier. Nothing's free.

« Reply #2267 on: 22 August, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »
A potentially revolutionary new insulin, developed right here in the UK.  This would be a lifechanger for so many T1 diabetics - just imagine not having to think 4 hours ahead to go for a ride or a run, turn down your pump/reduce your injection, go high in the meantime etc, just eat as normal and step out of the door, letting the smart insulin do it's things, just like a normal person .  Let's hope this kind of pioneering research doesn't disappear from our shores on 29th March 2019 thanks to a bunch of short-sighted xenophobes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45268904
It sounds amazing.

Apart from the short term-advantages, sounds like it might stave off the damage that T1 diabetes causes; so no more circulation damage, heart muscle damage etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2268 on: 22 August, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »
It has a bright future, as long as it doesn't threaten profits.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2269 on: 22 August, 2018, 05:28:20 pm »
It has a bright future, as long as it doesn't threaten profits.

Brexit might make things 'interesting'...

« Reply #2270 on: 22 August, 2018, 08:32:06 pm »
Interestingly it has been bought by the supplier of half the worlds insulin.

ElyDave

« Reply #2271 on: 22 August, 2018, 08:34:39 pm »
Yes, I noticed that, I'm already using Novo Nordisk insulin.   

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2272 on: 22 August, 2018, 08:35:15 pm »
Which is in Denmark...

ElyDave

« Reply #2273 on: 22 August, 2018, 08:59:04 pm »
Which is in Denmark...

hence my comments about post March 29th

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2274 on: 04 September, 2018, 07:24:08 pm »
Heard something interesting on the Toady show on R4 this morning.
They were discussing that heart age website thingy.   Presenter suggested that docs ask questions about family history of heart attacks in order to suggest genetic propensity to heart problems.   A leading cardiologist  said that the reason was also that poor lifestyle is also most likely inherited.

That may be obvious, but I'd never thought of that.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.