Author Topic: Plusnet  (Read 4302 times)

Plusnet
« on: 10 April, 2014, 12:27:01 pm »
I see Plusnet do an introductory offer for Unlimited Broadband and weekend calls for £3.25 per month for the first 12 months, reduced from £9.99. Landline rental is £14.50 per month or £10.99 if you pay the whole year in advance.

So at the end of the 12 month contract, can you negotiate another 12 month contact and carry on with the same price or will they refuse and put you on the "full" price?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Plusnet
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »
IIRC, it's a 12 month contract so if you don't like any of the options (their standard pricing, any available offers or anything you can negotiate) at the end of the year you can walk away.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2014, 12:54:04 pm »
I'm with Plusnet, and have been happy with 'em so far. 

If you do go to Plusnet there's any number of YACFers that can give you a referral.  You can instead, but not as well as that, order it through Quidco and currently get a £25/£35 cashback depending on the package ordered.  If you aren't a Quidco member at present they used to pay a reasonable referral fee that the referrer could split with you, which is what I did when my big sis was getting a bb/phone package.  That fee has gone down to £2.50 which isn't quite so generous!

If you want either a plusnet or quidco referral feel free to drop me a PM.  The former would get me money off my monthly bill but gain you nowt as far as I know.  The latter would get you the cashback (takes a month or two to come through) and "us" the £2.50.

It's well worth checking out a couple of comparison sites for the pricing and special offers, as they do change and you might find a better deal than the above elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:14:52 pm »
We've recently migrated to Plusnet.  We got £2.99 per month for your stated package for twelve months.   Deal available online only.

I have a reminder in my diary to look for a new package next March 1st.   I'm hoping that by then the deals will be even better.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »
I've used plusnet for a few years now. I don't have a bad word to say about them.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »
I know at the end of the contract I can leave any time, but what I'm asking is do they offer you anything (eg reduce the £9.99 full price to £3, which is available to new customers) to stay with them for another 12 months or do they say take it or leave it.

We got £2.99 per month for your stated package for twelve months.   

Yes it was £2.99 before but the offer now is £3.25 until May, it's only a bit more.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »
Anecdotally, I've heard that if you ring up and say 'what can you do then?' you can get a customer-retention deal.  I haven't tested the theory yet, but am happy to swap to someone else if necessary.  Although for that someone else to be BT, my former provider, they'd need to have a bloody good special offer, after the crappy customer services/sales team when I was researching this last time.

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:55:31 pm »
I know it's almost impossible to say never but it would have to be a very cold day in hell* before I went back to BT voluntarily.

*  If there was a decent supply of live seal and walrus it may not be such a bad deal for Ursus maritimuses ...   :D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2014, 08:36:41 pm »
Couple of years after we changed to Plusnet I looked at the website and found I could get more photons for less money, so I did.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2014, 12:28:15 am »
We're now getting over 15mbps consistently.  Never been this good before.

:thumbsup:  to Plusnet.   8)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2014, 07:52:37 am »
We've been with PlusNet for 7 years and although I've been pleased with them, recently we started going over a peak rate cap of 10GB in a month (we have 100GB off peak per month). Peak is 4pm to midnight.

Anyway, all they could offer was that we increased our tariff from £15 to £20 per month (we just have BB with them). I laboured the point that we are long term customers but they weren't interested in a deal.

As it happens, now I've moved to Germany James is staying within the 10GB peak limit so it's not an issue but I was disappointed they didn't try hardeer to accommodate a long-term customer.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2014, 08:54:28 am »
I am with Plusnet too and also happy with them. The strange thing is that Plusnet was bought by BT some years ago but they run it as a separate company. Why some of their customer service doesn't rub off on BT is a mystery to me.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 21 April, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »
Every time the subject of Plusnet comes up, I feel obliged to retell my tale of woe, even though it's getting a bit out of date now...

When we moved to where we live now, nearly eight years ago, I signed us up to Plusnet because they were offering the best deal at the time. Unfortunately, it turned out we couldn't get broadband at the time.

After several months of trying unsuccessfully to get through to Plusnet customer services by phone, web contact form and email, I decided to cancel my direct debit to them. So they sent the debt collectors round. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have refused to pay, but I did pay and I've still yet to get a refund from them. They owe me about £400.

To put the story in some context, this was at a time when Plusnet were going through rapid growth and clearly they didn't have the infrastructure to cope with the extra demand. I expect they've resolved that by now. And for most people who don't have the same bandwidth issues as me, this kind of problem is unlikely ever to occur anyway. But take it as a word of warning none the less: firms like Plusnet that offer cheap deals tend to make their savings in areas such as customer service. This means that when things do go wrong, it's often harder to get them sorted.

Which is not to say that paying more money to a firm like BT will necessarily get you better customer service, but you know, caveat emptor and all that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #13 on: 21 April, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »
Plusnet broke my mum's email pointlessly this morning (or some other point when she phoned them recently).  She has a accountname+username style username login and they decided that her issue was this config so set her up as accountname as login thus giving her an entirely different inbox (and indeed different email address grrr).

They also told her the main account password which she got frightened by cos it was randomly generated when we set up the account ~2004 and decided someone had hacked her account. Am not sure they should be storing that in plain text.

Fortunately she emailed me her new password in plaintext and I was able to phone her, get more sense, relogin into the account itself and fix the mailbox we wanted's password and set her BACK up with that and change all the passwords again.

Shall see if I get a response to my snarky tweet about it...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 27 September, 2017, 12:55:45 pm »
I'm trying to leave them as I have better broadband than the copper ADSL on offer and we will never get fibre here.

Info at 12:37, Sep 27:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 8. Thank you for your patience.
Info at 12:39, Sep 27:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 7. Thank you for your patience.
Info at 12:41, Sep 27:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 7. Thank you for your patience.
Info at 12:43, Sep 27:
Info at 12:45, Sep 27:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 6. Thank you for your patience.
Info at 12:47, Sep 27:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 8. Thank you for your patience.
Info at 12:49, Sep 27:
Info at 12:51, Sep 27:
Info at 12:53, Sep 27:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 9. Thank you for your patience.

WTF??!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #15 on: 27 September, 2017, 06:13:48 pm »
They will charge you a £30 leaving fee even if you're out of contract except for moving to an ISP that uses the BT network. Just in case you didn't already know.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 27 September, 2017, 07:27:56 pm »
Yes, I knew that, sadly!

Anyway I called them and got through on the phone as the number went down to 6 in the queue.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #17 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:59:31 pm »
Our Plusnet has become a bit shaky recently.   Not sure why.   In any event, we've looked and see that we can upgrade to fibre and take the all calls package for less than we are currently paying with calls added.   Probably will upgrade.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #18 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:19:54 pm »
Their customer service has always been good in my experience, on the rare occasion we've had problems.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2017, 06:18:53 pm »
I've been in the queue for half an hour now.   The original call was terminated by 'faults' on the line - the Plusnet landline.   Broadband download speeds are hovering just above 1Mbps: we usually get 13 or more.

These performance issues seem to hit late afternoon and at weekends but are not apparent daytime during the week.

Let's see what they can do.

I wonder if we're being manipulated to upgrade to a more expensive package ... 

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2017, 06:35:50 pm »
Getting to talk to a real person from Plusnet has always taken a while to get through. Online chat tends to be more effective at sorting problems out and get a faster response. At least their phone line is a free phone number.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2017, 07:16:01 pm »
Over an hour later and our broadband speeds are restored.   Apparently there was a minor adjustment to our profile required to allow us to receive the maximum speed that we should be getting.

Now, call me a cynical sceptic but that's really odd don't you think? 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2017, 11:14:28 pm »
Over an hour later and our broadband speeds are restored.   Apparently there was a minor adjustment to our profile required to allow us to receive the maximum speed that we should be getting.

Now, call me a cynical sceptic but that's really odd don't you think?

The DLM getting wedged at some stupid low rate (in response to transient interference, say, or a visit from the Kelly van of the apocalypse) isn't an entirely uncommon feature of our-favourite-telco's wholesale ADSL network.  A better ISP wouldn't keep you on hold for half an hour in order to reset it, of course.

Or it might not be the DLM at all, and it's Plusnet's own traffic shaping that's misbehaving - you didn't say whether it was the sync speed or just the throughput that was affected.

« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2017, 11:22:03 am »
In my not very technical world I'm really not sure.  How could I tell from the symptoms whether it was sync speed or throughput and what's the difference anyway?   

In real terms our broadband was forever dropping completely and even when working it was functioning at 1 to 1.5Mbps download instead of the usual 15Mbps or thereabouts.   Each evening and at weekends it would get slower and slower but yesterday it just expired and nothing was coming in or going out.

As part of the process yesterday mllePB dug out the new and unused surplus of ADSL filters hiding in a plastic storage box in the cupboard under the stairs and we replaced the old filter with a new one.   We are also at present still plugged in to the BT outlet test socket. 

Since the intervention yesterday evening it has behaved impeccably though we are considering upgrading as current offerings available offer twice the speed for the same or less than we are currently paying.   

The telephone has lost it's hiss and crackle now - I wonder if the issues are related?

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2017, 11:36:38 am »
The telephone has lost it's hiss and crackle now - I wonder if the issues are related?

Almost certainly.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.