Author Topic: Katie Hopkins does it again  (Read 17681 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Katie Hopkins does it again
« on: 26 August, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »
Proving that, if you're fat, it's all your fault.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/395923/Katie-Hopkins-weight-gain

Second comment under the article wins the Internet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Katie Hopkins does it again
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2014, 08:57:33 pm »
She should stay at that weight for a year and then try to lose it ..

Many of the commenters have it right - weight loss is not trivial or easy for many.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2014, 09:08:05 pm »
It's nice that she's done the ice bucket challenge, I guess, but I'd rather she did the "bottomless pit" challenge.

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2014, 09:29:48 pm »
39, my arse!

If she keeps talking, she may say something intelligent.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

ian

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2014, 09:45:37 pm »

Many of the commenters have it right - weight loss is not trivial or easy for many.

Though nor is it impossible. It worries me that that everyone is a victim and no one can be responsible for their own weight.

Yeah, I was a fatty. I shed over a third of my body weight. Everyone does the well, it was easy for you (huh?). Nope, losing six stone was fucking hard. But that's not the same as impossible. The entire slow metabolism thing is cack.

Mind you, I've no idea who Katie Hopkins is. Didn't she marry Tom Cruise?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2014, 11:26:20 pm »
Is she a minister too?
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2014, 11:43:40 pm »
No, I think she married Tony Visconti.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2014, 07:45:42 pm »

Though nor is it impossible. It worries me that that everyone is a victim and no one can be responsible for their own weight.

Yeah, I was a fatty. I shed over a third of my body weight. Everyone does the well, it was easy for you (huh?). Nope, losing six stone was fucking hard. But that's not the same as impossible. The entire slow metabolism thing is cack.

Part of it depends on the number of fat cells you have and their condition. If you undergo liposuction (removing fat cells) and then add weight it can be very serious for diabetes etc.

Fat cells act as a buffer  - as long as you don't exceed that buffer then you can add/lose weight at will. Go over and you have interesting effects: Breakdown of your endocrine system leading to diabetes. Generation of more fat cells (so you cant easily shed so much weight. And so on.

So Katy Hopkins is an ignorant person who fails to understand the full complexity of the issue. However, what she says is very true for a substantial proportion of the obese, but not all. The name calling for those who have a metabolic defect is unfair and unhelpful.

Ultimately weight is not a be all and end all. It is a symptom, not a cause. It can make an active lifestyle more difficult, but it is better to be fat and fit rather than skinny-fat.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

ian

« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:34:57 am »
The thing is that the majority of fat people don't have a metabolic defect. They have a lifestyle defect. Sure, one eventually compounds the other, and I'm not saying it's simple. But the entire 'slow metabolism' meme is annoying and generally untrue. It's not, to be honest, easy for anyone to lose weight, but for most people it's doable. Obesity is a huge health threat and not something we should normalise. People have slow metabolisms because they sit down all day, consider exercise a walk across a car park, and portion control to be running out of Pringles.

« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:48:44 am »
FAT SHAMER!!!!!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: 28 August, 2014, 02:19:00 pm »
There can be a noticeable variance in weight gain/loss among people, even those eating similar things and doing similar amounts of exercise.

I do what most fit people would consider to be a reasonable amount of exercise, mostly commuting by bike (a 24 and a bit mile round trip) but I usually manage it at least four days a week and quite often  a full house (I think I have maybe not cycled to work only five or six times since I moved at the end of June).  I go to the gym a couple of times a week now and will quite often do a longer bike ride at the weekend – maybe four to five hours or so.

I try not to eat too much in the way of cakes, crisps and chocolate.  I weight my carbs before cooking them and limit myself to only a few take away meals a month now.

So on average, I’m doing at least twelve hours of fairly good exercise a week but I still find it very hard to avoid putting weight on.  I only really noticeably lose weight if I’m doing a lot more exercise than that, so losing weight is not an easy thing for some people at all.  I only really notice weight loss on weeks where I’m doing 200 miles or more on the bike.

« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2014, 02:38:18 pm »
Response to exercise also varies.

Not so much since I've hit middle-age, but certainly when I was younger I struggled to keep weight on. Not exercising caused me to lose weight, even though I still ate a lot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2014, 02:39:26 pm »
While I'm struggling to motivate myself at the moment I find it disturbingly unfair that I only have to look at a chocolate bar and I'm gaining weight yet the skinny bugger that sits next to me eats one everyday. I hate the fact I do so much exercise that I'm running myself into the ground and yet some people go to the gym a bit and the weight falls off.

I was running intervals this week though the park that runs across the bottom of the airport and a chap runs up and says "well done sport for having a go at running" I almost smacked his lights out but didn't and pointed out that after 4000km of running under the belt I'm hardly having a go. he looked decidedly confused.

I look forward to the winter, to the rain, the snow, and the sleet cos all the "healthy" summer cyclists and runners go indoors and leave me alone outside to get one with enjoying myself without feeling like a failure.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2014, 03:38:24 pm »
While I'm struggling to motivate myself at the moment I find it disturbingly unfair that I only have to look at a chocolate bar and I'm gaining weight yet the skinny bugger that sits next to me eats one everyday. I hate the fact I do so much exercise that I'm running myself into the ground and yet some people go to the gym a bit and the weight falls off.

I was running intervals this week though the park that runs across the bottom of the airport and a chap runs up and says "well done sport for having a go at running" I almost smacked his lights out but didn't and pointed out that after 4000km of running under the belt I'm hardly having a go. he looked decidedly confused.

I look forward to the winter, to the rain, the snow, and the sleet cos all the "healthy" summer cyclists and runners go indoors and leave me alone outside to get one with enjoying myself without feeling like a failure.

Yep.  I'm the fattest cyclist on our floor and currently at 5,055 miles for the year...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2014, 05:52:06 pm »
I'm not sure how it works at all.  I've always been skinny.  And my weight doesn't fluctuate at all.
Up until my late 40s I used eat huge amounts, since then my appetite has declined greatly, this has made absolutely no difference to my weight.
I didn't ride a bike at all for a period of about five years in my late 30s.  It made no difference to my weight.
I don't think that I could put weight on even if I tried really hard.  I'm a mesomorph (after googling, I find that what I meant to say is that I'm an ectomorph).
For this reason I do believe that there must be people for whom the opposite must be true and I think it quite unfair to stigmatise them.

Edited to correct my body type.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »
Edited to correct my body type.
I thought the point was you couldn't change your body type.

« Reply #16 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:49:24 pm »
She's a genius.

She wouldn't get employed as a columnist if she didn't stir people up.

The best selling DVD for the last few years Xmases have been weight loss vids.

She's ex military so she can do the fitness and has the discipline to stick to the diet. She's going to coin it in.

If this works, this will get her attention in the US, and since they've fired Piers Morgan, the resident loud mouth Brit role is vacant.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:54:06 pm »
Life is unfair. I'm resigned to the fact that I have to do plenty of exercise to stay thin yet there are people who stay skinny on a diet of pasties for whom exercise is provided by the remote control. There is no sense in stigmatising people for being fat. But obesity is a major problem and it is a disease primarily of affluence. It shouldn't be normal.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:54:39 pm »
She's a genius.

She wouldn't get employed as a columnist if she didn't stir people up.

The best selling DVD for the last few years Xmases have been weight loss vids.

She's ex military so she can do the fitness and has the discipline to stick to the diet. She's going to coin it in.

If this works, this well get her attention in the US, and since they've fired Piers Morgan, the resident loud mouth Brit role is vacant.

Proof once more, as if anyone needed it, there is no god.

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:01:22 pm »
But obesity is a major problem and it is a disease primarily of affluence. It shouldn't be normal.

Erm... you have to be really careful with statements like that!

Picking a Dr Google hit at random: http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/

Specifically:

Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group than among those in the highest income and education groups, respectively (Truong & Sturm, 2005).

ETA: In the UK, there's less of a pattern: http://www.poverty.org.uk/63/index.shtml

« Reply #20 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:10:35 pm »
Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group

Ah....so its a thick peoples' disease then.

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:11:47 pm »
Ah....so its a thick peoples' disease then.

::-)

« Reply #22 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:16:25 pm »
 :demon:

ian

« Reply #23 on: 29 August, 2014, 02:38:21 pm »
But obesity is a major problem and it is a disease primarily of affluence. It shouldn't be normal.

Picking a Dr Google hit at random: http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/

Specifically:

Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group than among those in the highest income and education groups, respectively (Truong & Sturm, 2005).

ETA: In the UK, there's less of a pattern: http://www.poverty.org.uk/63/index.shtml

I think you misunderstand affluence. By any measure, on a global scale, people in the UK are vastly affluent. You don't get fat unless you have access to affordable calories in whatever format. There's yet to be a famine resulting from an outbreak of excessively high metabolism.

« Reply #24 on: 29 August, 2014, 04:55:16 pm »

Specifically:

No, he's right. Even poor (defined as relative to the average) people in this country & other developed countries are mostly affluent in world & historical terms. They can & do eat plenty, all the time. That wasn't true of most of our ancestors, & it isn't true for a large (though shrinking) proportion of the world.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897