Author Topic: BT hub and wifi extender - will this one work?  (Read 267 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
BT hub and wifi extender - will this one work?
« on: 25 April, 2024, 08:40:45 pm »
I've just moved to BT Business FTTP with a Smart Hub 3 (replacing a Smart Hub 2) with the Hub 2 I had a wifi repeater disc (the black business one) but that doesn't work with the Hub 3 (BT confirmed that - and offered to supply a disc that does work at an outrageous monthly charge)

I don't understand all the technical stuff so - does anyone know if this gadget from Amazon  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CSD8GL7W/?coliid=I26HYRXPSTMH8P&colid=ORYXZ3U6EPBY&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1  will work with the Hub 3?

I'm willing to give it a try as being Amazon it can go back painlessly, but I'd like some comfort that it might work/

AND if anyone is interest the existing black disc which works with Hub 2 (it's as new) is for sale at £45 posted (BT sells them for £100, they seem to go on ebay at anything between £45 and £75)

Re: BT hub and wifi extender - will this one work?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2024, 08:16:07 am »
Does your Hub 3 have ethernet ports on it? If so get a mesh set-up.  I have Deco 3-puck (M5 I think). One by the router, one upstairs in a back window and a third 30m line-of-sight in the shed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/mesh-wifi/s?k=mesh+wifi  though often available on the bay of theives.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2024, 08:35:17 am »
Does your Hub 3 have ethernet ports on it? If so get a mesh set-up.  I have Deco 3-puck (M5 I think). One by the router, one upstairs in a back window and a third 30m line-of-sight in the shed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/mesh-wifi/s?k=mesh+wifi  though often available on the bay of theives.

Thanks - The hub does have an unused ethernet port BUT whilst the solution is interesting it's overkill for what I need - other than in one small area the WiFi strength is great, that's where the BT disc did the job.

Back to the original question - will the simple unit in the OP work?

robgul

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:37:23 am »
UPDATE - folowing some ideas from the BT Business Forum I got a TP-Link repeater for about £50  (Mr Amazon offered me Prime for free so took advantage and got same day delivery)

Fairly simple install - WiFi appears to be at full strength everywhere we need it.   It will be monitored, as will speed of the new fibre line which at present (3 days in) seems variable and below the guarantee rate.

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:35:46 am »
The TP Link stuff seems to do a grand job ime.