Author Topic: Any chainset?  (Read 2693 times)

Any chainset?
« on: 13 April, 2016, 10:33:13 am »
Super quick question - Guy is selling a fixie that I want, but it's double the price I want to pay due to a super bling chainset. I have a SRAM Apex double one sitting in the shed. If I changed the chainrings (and bolts), could I just use that? (Assuming chainline and all that)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Any chainset?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2016, 10:52:53 am »
Assuming chainline, yes but that is a big if. Many times, the single chainring needs to be on the inner position, which may limit the maximum size (chainstay clearance).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2016, 12:35:05 pm »
Assuming chainline, yes but that is a big if. Many times, the single chainring needs to be on the inner position, which may limit the maximum size (chainstay clearance).

I have a couple of ancient SR chainsets for fixed, inner removed.  I just used a shorter axle (might be more complicated with new-fangled BBs).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2016, 01:15:19 pm »
on a standard double outer chainring will be at 46mm chainline, whereas inner one at 40-41. it takes a bit of time and skill to get a matching chainline (with ht2 type bb's).

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2016, 02:36:51 pm »
Yeah, it's a road double crankset he has on there now (with a single ring), but proper bling carbon. Without it, it would literally half the value of the bike.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2016, 12:44:09 am »
Put the chainring on the inner position, then you can put a bashguard on the outer.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2016, 06:27:07 pm »
The Inbred was designed for an HT2 chainset - which is limiting for a fixie - but is running a short UN54 BB with Sugino XD double cranks.  There is a hair's breadth clearance between the chainring and the chainstay but it never touches.  It depends entirely on the profile of the chainstays.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:10:21 am »
You could just buy one of these Lasco chainsets from VeloSolo £41 plus postage.

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/lasco.html