Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 231011 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1400 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:45:19 pm »
Porcupine Tree on Friday - not too shabby  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1401 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:53:44 pm »
Worth going to just to see Gavin Harrison.

Did they play Bonnie the Cat?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1402 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:11:17 pm »
Worth going to just to see Gavin Harrison.

Yes, we saw him with King Crimson a few years ago.

Did they play Bonnie the Cat?

'Fraid not - setlist

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1403 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:47:44 pm »
A V Noisy punk covers band yclept "Classix" in a Thee Pubbe in Horsham on Saturday night. Ded gud,  lots of energy, old enough to know better, didn't give a shit. (Me and them). Third track in was an SLF cover, which I could have sworn was released only a few years ago, but on checking "a few" is in fact 41.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1404 on: 25 October, 2022, 10:43:52 pm »
Steeleye Span at the New Theatre, Oxford.

Bloody brilliant.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1405 on: 27 October, 2022, 08:56:42 am »
A recording of ISIHAC at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon last night.

Samantha was on top form, Sven was his usual gorgeous self. Jo Brand could do with lessons in playing the kazoo.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1406 on: 29 October, 2022, 08:30:25 am »
The Orb, doing U.F.Orb (and a few other bits). An enjoyable evening’s dancing, just what i needed after this week. Some floaty violin, who was also support. I’ve ordered her CD. Good fun. I met the previous big boss on the way out, he’d enjoyed it too.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1407 on: 29 October, 2022, 10:53:05 pm »
The Orb, doing U.F.Orb (and a few other bits). An enjoyable evening’s dancing, just what i needed after this week. Some floaty violin, who was also support. I’ve ordered her CD. Good fun. I met the previous big boss on the way out, he’d enjoyed it too.

Ah, off to see them in December, going to be fun!
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1408 on: 29 October, 2022, 10:53:37 pm »
Al Stewart.

Delayed for over a year by COVID, but well worth the wait.

« Reply #1409 on: 30 October, 2022, 09:15:40 am »
Triple bill at the Goods Shed.  Vodka_Terry (real name Alice) who sang about various things including trying to rescue a beautiful moth trapped in her bathroom, but ended up eating it.  Then Mermaid Chunky,
a pair of utter loons and the headline band The Umlauts, art-punk German-techno who sing in German even though they are from Stroud.

« Reply #1410 on: 30 October, 2022, 11:39:08 pm »
Cat Power at Glasgow RCH. A bit strange, it never really seemed to get going. It was "the covers" tour, and some covers were really truncated. They were so different to the familiar version that it was really hard to tell what they were.  Maybe the oddest thing was she was in darkness throughout.  Even at the start and end there was no spotlight on her.  Some songs were good but most were only ok.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1411 on: 31 October, 2022, 09:49:40 am »
Sounds in line with her wiki page description of her performances.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1412 on: 06 November, 2022, 05:06:31 pm »
Yesterday, Damnation Festival in Manchester. Just 12 hours not the full eternity. Much excellence from all over the metallic spectrum. Really enjoyed discovering acts like Irist (a bit Mastodon, a bit Gojira, a whole good), Bruit (French rock/classical hybrid, reminded me of The Young Gods) and Elder (stoner rock). Particular highlight one, the Austrian hardcore thrash crossover Insanity Alert- very loud, very fast, very silly and very, very enjoyable. And first a giant inflatable Pikachu, then a conga line, in the circle pit. Secondly, Godflesh, doing Streetcleaner in full. Pummeling, crushing excellence. Cracking day.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1413 on: 16 November, 2022, 10:55:50 pm »
So, a few gigs from the weekend. One needs clearance from the artiste, so no shots yet...

Police Dog Hogan. Always fun, especially after some shiity white wine.

Someone with three names, and Country and Western music. Beth Nielsen Chapman.

The mesmerising Toyah

She did a cover of Slave to the Rhythm, having recently got permission from Trevor Horn to play it.One of many highlights.

« Reply #1414 on: 16 November, 2022, 11:02:14 pm »
We saw Fist Aid Kit at Pryzm in Kingston last week. Brilliant, as ever.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1415 on: 18 November, 2022, 08:04:23 am »
Gong and Ozric Tentacles in Brighton last night.
I’ve never really got into Gong, but enjoyed them more than I was expecting. Ozrics are an old favourite from the early 90s Pongmaster days. So I got towards the front and had a good dance in a really happy crowd. The projections were also good fun, with only traces of the Mandelbrot set.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1416 on: 18 November, 2022, 09:45:45 am »
The Orb, doing U.F.Orb (and a few other bits).

Crikey. I saw them just after that first came out. Quite a long time ago. Wasn’t a great gig for me - I’d smoked something herbal and spent most of the gig sat on the floor, too close to the speakers, but unable to move. I still remember the feeling of the monster bass rumbling through my entire body. Surprised all my teeth didn’t fall out.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1417 on: 18 November, 2022, 05:40:07 pm »
Gong and Ozric Tentacles in Brighton last night.
I’ve never really got into Gong, but enjoyed them more than I was expecting. Ozrics are an old favourite from the early 90s Pongmaster days

I first saw them in 1991 in Leeds. Loved them. A sort of techno infused funky prog rock. Was very sad when Roly Wynne took his own life. Saw them a number of times, and also their techno offshoot Eat Static.

Crikey. I saw them just after that first came out. Quite a long time ago. Wasn’t a great gig for me - I’d smoked something herbal and spent most of the gig sat on the floor, too close to the speakers, but unable to move. I still remember the feeling of the monster bass rumbling through my entire body. Surprised all my teeth didn’t fall out.

You didn't miss much. For a band who produced some of the seminal albums of the 90s they are fucking shite live. Last saw them about 5 years ago locally and they were incompetent.

« Reply #1418 on: 18 November, 2022, 08:20:25 pm »

I first saw them after adventures beyond the ultraworld, in Manchester. I’d had something fungal, and thoroughly enjoyed the night :)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1419 on: 20 November, 2022, 09:22:33 pm »
Last night, Therapy?, for a second time this year, in Guildford. A main set of rarely played and/or not played in years tracks, with The Hits to finish. Even better than the show in February, excellent support from Rews as well. And tonight, will be gigging virtually (live stream from That America, 2300 UK time), Ministry, in 4K and binaural audio.

« Reply #1420 on: 26 November, 2022, 11:50:05 pm »
I saw Therapy? several years ago, with Miss Dan the Elder at her first gig (while I was seeing Sisters of Mercy). This weekend I’m visiting her in York.

Last night we were in a bar where a covers singer + guitar came in. It seems like there’s a good scene for that here. It turns out that she’s able to sing along with Blister in the Sun. Which I’ll take as a good reflection on our parenting.

Tonight was Fulford Fuzz Fest. It’s been too long since I was at a pub gig with maybe 100 others, half of whom know one of the bands. Random strangers talked to me, two to ask if I’d been at the Ozrics gig in Leeds last night (because I had last week’s tshirt on). Which was nice.

Three bands, all were pretty good for six quid in a pub. Koyo, the second band, were a good psych three piece (missing the keyboard) from Leeds. Bought the t-shirt. Weekend Recovery were amusingly shouty jump up and down music , with a mosh competition. I may be a bit old for that.

Tomorrow, I think we’re seeing friends of hers.

« Reply #1421 on: 30 November, 2022, 06:30:01 am »
First Aid Kit  were superb last night, their second sell out night at the O2 academy in Glasgow.  Upbeat, poppy, glamorous and sounding superb.  The first standing gig for me for ages and my legs were feeling it though. 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1422 on: 30 November, 2022, 08:06:20 am »
I’m still recovering from two nights out in a row last week - getting too old for this kind of nonsense.

Wednesday was Wet Leg at the Kentish Town Forum. Enjoyed it but it wasn’t the best night out. We had decided to drive up to London to avoid risking missing the last train home and got caught in the aftermath of an accident in the M2 - complete standstill for an hour. Eventually made it to the venue but had missed the support acts by then. Wet Leg were great fun but they aren’t the most accomplished live act and they don’t yet have enough songs, so were only on stage for 45 minutes (so finished early enough that we’d have had no trouble getting the train). Also the venue felt massively overcrowded, so even standing at the back you could hardly move.

I’d parked the car in Greenwich and on the way home we discovered that there had also been a big event on at the O2 the same night - the N-Dubz comeback, apparently. We arrived back at the car just at the same time as several thousands of drunk and lairy N-Dubz fans were swarming out and got caught in the gridlock trying to escape the car park. Also got fleeced £25 for the car park - could have sworn it was £12.50 when I checked in advance.

Ended up being a long, tiring, expensive night out for not the greatest reward. Glad I’ve seen Wet Leg but even more gutted in retrospect that I missed the opportunity when they were in Margate earlier this year at the 150-capacity Elsewhere. Unfortunately, tickets for that sold out in minutes and I was too slow off the mark.

Thursday night was *much* better. That was Nation of Language at the Electric in Brixton.

Got the train for that one, arrived early enough to have a drink in a nice local pub with a friend before the gig, got to the venue just as the support band were taking the stage, and they were excellent - Deep Tan, a spiky, funky post-punk trio with strong Slits vibes - the comparison is obvious but doesn’t really do them justice, to be fair - they’ve got far more about them than just being a pastiche/tribute act. Read more about them here:
https://thequietus.com/articles/31409-deep-tan-band-interview-wafah-celeste-lucy

That got me nicely warmed up for Nation of Language, who are one of my favourite bands right now anyway. And they were superb. The crowd were really into it so it was a great atmosphere, the sound quality was excellent, and Ian Devaney is a proper front man - charismatic, engaging, expensive, and he used the full extent of the big stage to perform in (touch of the Samuel T Herring about him).

Their sound is heavily influenced by early 80s synth pop - specifically OMD. Great if you like that kind of thing. Which I do.

Damn, that was a *great* gig. I’ll definitely be making an effort to see them again. Superb.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1423 on: 30 November, 2022, 10:47:53 am »
A week or so ago, my fourth gig in a row, and the least interest for me. Barbara Dickson

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1424 on: 30 November, 2022, 10:54:04 am »
There was a party evening, with  a Ska band last-minute filling in for a COVID stricken one The Hempolics

2-Tone All Skas

then the legends... N-Trance

and after some DJ action, of which, no pics.