Author Topic: recommendation for gps please  (Read 4530 times)

recommendation for gps please
« on: 10 August, 2014, 12:10:46 pm »
Not for me but somebody else. He wants it for cycling and camping.

Re: recommendation for gps please
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2014, 12:13:54 pm »
in view of my query I've just posted I would say vista HCx if you can get hold of one or one of the newer e20 or e30  :thumbsup: 

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2014, 12:25:35 pm »
In my opinion, the extra features in the E30 aren't worth the extra money over the E20, but I didn't like the monochrome screen of the E10. I'd definitely favour the Etrex over the Edge models just on value for money and running on standard AAs, but especially if your friend wants it for more than just cycling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2014, 01:35:07 pm »
Batteries aside, I think outdoor GPS units like the eTrex are a lot more useful on a bike than cycling-specific ones are for hiking.

I'd say that the magnetic compass in the Vista / E30, while pointless on a bike, is well worth having if you're going to be using it on foot, as movement is often too erratic for the unit to orient the compass/map display properly by GPS data alone.

The new-new eTrex (E30 etc) has a much better handlebar bracket design which doesn't leave an annoying clip protruding from the back when you come to use it handheld.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »
Not for me but somebody else. He wants it for cycling and camping.

Two quite different requirements there.

For cycling the Edge series probably wins out in many ways but if you want camping as well then the question is whether your friend prefers a touchscreen interface or joystick/button interface.

If they prefer touchscreen then look at the Dakota/Oregon/Montana range depending on their budget and how big a brick they want to carry. The Montana can be handlebar mounted (it's what I use) but it's a bit hefty. Garmin also have a Monterra that's supposed to be a new top model but from what I gather it still has a few issues. If you're an early Garmin adopter it seems you get to pay top dollar to do their beta testing for them.

If they prefer joystick/button then the obvious options are the eTrex or GPSMap series. I used a GPSMap 60CSx for years (my wife uses it now) and it runs like clockwork. If you can get a used one they're worth a look, from what I gather the replacement (62, then 64) offer more in terms of features but aren't made as well. My 60CSx has survived multiple drops from waist height onto concrete and is none the worse for wear.

Consider the batteries the different units take if it needs to last a long time. The GPSMap series always used AA batteries (and probably still does, but I don't know about the 64). The Dakota/Oregon use AA batteries, the Montana uses its own battery and can also run on 3xAA (yes, three AA cells). I believe the Edge has a custom battery that is sealed in, so you can recharge it via USB but for a camping trip you'd end up trying to charge it with an external battery pack.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2014, 02:39:24 pm »
When my gpsmap60cx stopped being waterproof I looked at the gpsmap62, but somehow the battery life had gotten a lot worse in the specs. So I bought an etrex30. I think the price difference with an etrex20 was €20 or smth back then.
I can do two long days of cycling in daylight on one pair of eneloop xx's. When cycle camping without certain recharging options, this is relevant.

Oh, and although I thought the wireless exchange option was a bit of a gimmick, I used it on LEL last year to acquire a route avoiding the Howardian hills on the return.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2014, 02:43:09 pm »
Oh, and although I thought the wireless exchange option was a bit of a gimmick, I used it on LEL last year to acquire a route avoiding the Howardian hills on the return.

One day I need to remember (in the presence of another E30 user) to try that out.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »
Big screen or small case.
Touch screen or buttons.
AAs or USB-rechargable.

Choose one of each of the above to select the model you want. 
For example the Etrex 20 or 30 would be the 'Small case, buttons, AAs' option.  Would be my recommendation for cycling with occasional camping.
The Oregon would be the 'Big screen, touchscreen, AAs' option.  Would be my recommendation for camping with occasional cycling.

That's assuming you don't consider 'Garmin or some other make' to be a sensible choice, because really, it isn't.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

contango

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2014, 06:26:46 pm »
The Oregon would be the 'Big screen, touchscreen, AAs' option.  Would be my recommendation for camping with occasional cycling.

The Montana would be the "big screen, touchscreen, AA" option. It's much bigger than the Oregon. The screen size is wonderful but it really is a bit of a brick.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Re: Thread Hi- Jack from a complete GPS numpty
« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2014, 12:09:04 pm »
I am a cyclist of 25yrs so *long term* I would be interested in a GPS for my rides, esp as the kids get older & we can ride/tour further afield etc.

To date I have managed with paper maps, looking at googlemaps on home PC & making notes before departure, (sometimes getting lost) asking for directions etc.

However, I have committed to a couple of ultra-running events in Brecon Beacons & Pennine way.  For these events I can see organisers publish a route to follow with a hand held GPS. Since I don't want to get lost on Kinder Scout or Cross Fell in the dark in the January snow, I think getting GPS tech wise now would be a good idea.

I kind of thought I'd be able to buy a unit for my running events.  Then as soon as I realise that cycling 100m is much easier, I want to be able to use the unit on my handlebars.

A brief look on line has left me confused - can anyone with knowledge please point me in the right direction?

ps easy & fast to use is a preference. I'll need to be training, not faffing with tech.
No real budget limitations.  Prefer small & light since I'll be carrying it (robust), good battery life essential.

Thanks in advance.

contango

« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »

If you're carrying it (especially if it's in your hand) for running I'd rule out the Montana simply for being too big. I usually put it in a pocket when I'm hiking with it, or string it round my neck, and even though I love having the huge screen there are times I wish I'd bought a smaller model.

If you're OK with a touchscreen I'd say the Oregon is what you need. If you prefer a more button-based approach then probably an eTrex or a 64 series. I have no experience with the modern eTrex or the 64 series so can't really comment how they are, although from my experience of a 60CSx and limited experience of a 62 series I'd say the 64 is likely to be a sound unit.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:00:08 pm »
For running, I think the best option is a GPS watch. Look at the Garmin Fenix 2. You can load a route to follow, and can display some really basic maps. Plus it has the usual training features, and can connect to a heart rate monitor etc. And it has a low power mode, which can give very long battery life (up to 50 hours).
Or I think the Suunto Ambit is a similar sort of thing. Check DC Rainmaker for reviews.

It would work on a bike, just strap the watch to the handlebars. Though the screen is a bit small, and could be fiddly to press the buttons etc. So something like an Etrex would be better for cycling.

I have done a bit of running just carrying an Etrex in my hand. It works OK, but I find it soon gets annoying, the extra weight is tiring. Attaching it to a rucksack strap would be better. Or just keep it in your bag, and only get it out if you are lost. But then you waste time stopping, plus more likely to get lost in the first place.

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:05:22 pm »
Unless your cycling is audax, I'd just use a phone now (and I never thought I'd say that).
OSMAnd is a bit of a game changer- free offline maps.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:07:38 pm »
I think I'd be quite happy with my mobile phone for camping.  (Back up battery obviously a requirement if away from power sources for a charger).

(cross post with fboab there)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:11:12 pm »
eTrex 20, nice price/features compromise.  Also records what you've done - don't think phones do. Uses AA batteries/rechargeables.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:23:46 pm »
Of course phones record what you do - strava, endomondo, mapmyfitness etc are all mobile phone apps.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »

One day I need to remember (in the presence of another E30 user) to try that out.

I used that feature on the Normandy 400 when my e30 refused to recognise the sd card I loaded the tracks onto.

« Reply #17 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:28:33 pm »
I was very glad to get back to an Etrex Vista HCx, after trying OsmAnd/Mobile for a few months.  When the OsmAnd/mobile was working it was fine, but I came up against low battery life (needed USB charger for longer rides), mysteriously crashing apps ("OsmAnd has stopped"), annoying touchscreen quirks (with or without gloves), & lack of waterproofing (removing from h'bars when raining).

Handtec seem to be doing older refurbed Etrexes with 12 month guarantee.  My HCx was from ebay - which is pot luck, but can work out well.  I've no experience with the Etrex 10/20/30.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #18 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:44:00 pm »
(sorry I am hi-jacking the thread a bit)

Should have said rules of the event (the Spine Race -100m non-stop) specifically state I need to take a GPS - running watch not permitted. I also assume charging of phones not a practical option etc. I will be carrying my kit so a GPS unit is not too much extra. 
I don't have a smart phone yet either, (I am a Luddite.)

I will look at etrex 20 and go from there.
Thanks again - appreciate the huge amount of shared knowledge on this forum!

caerau

« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:57:29 pm »
Personally I did say smartphone for camping - I wouldn't dream of using it for an audax length bike ride.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2014, 03:23:05 pm »
(sorry I am hi-jacking the thread a bit)

Should have said rules of the event (the Spine Race -100m non-stop) specifically state I need to take a GPS - running watch not permitted. I also assume charging of phones not a practical option etc. I will be carrying my kit so a GPS unit is not too much extra.
That does seem like a somewhat arbitrary rule. Presumably they want you to have something better than a basic Forerunner. But the Fenix is a GPS device, and just as good for navigation as a basic Etrex. Though the battery life may not be quite long enough for 100 miles.

Though if you're carrying a full rucksack, you might as well take an Etrex 20 (plus enough spare batteries). I see you can get a Garmin backpack tether, for attaching it to a rucksack strap. Plus you can load detailed maps for the whole route.
For that sort of event, I would probably take a spare GPS device, just in case (or smartphone that can be used as a GPS if necessary).

« Reply #21 on: 12 August, 2014, 03:37:54 pm »
Fuaran - the rules are written primarily for people mad enough to be tackling the full 268m.  (I am only looking at the baby version).
My 'just in case' will be maps, compass & torch, although I can see that if I can learn to use a Gps on the hoof, it will be really useful.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #22 on: 13 August, 2014, 11:50:37 am »
I'm not sure that a Forerunner would count as a 'running watch'.  Its primary function is navigation and tracklogging, not telling the time.

OTOH if 'watch' just means 'anything on the wrist' that presumably would rule out having an Etrex30 or an Edge (neater and lighter) and strapping it onto your wrist somehow (having it flopping around on a lanyard would be intolerable).
By the way if plumping for a GPS that uses AAs, for running put Energizer Lithiums (primary cells) in, as they cut the all-up weight quite noticeably, compared with Duracells or NiMHs.

My 'just in case' will be maps, compass & torch, although I can see that if I can learn to use a Gps on the hoof, it will be really useful.

As a new adopter, unfortunately there is no way to avoid a steep learning curve with these things.  Almost everyone struggles at first, and Garmin's own documentation is not very helpful.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

caerau

« Reply #23 on: 13 August, 2014, 12:01:52 pm »
I'm not sure that a Forerunner would count as a 'running watch'.  Its primary function is navigation and tracklogging, not telling the time.

OTOH if 'watch' just means 'anything on the wrist' that presumably would rule out having an Etrex30 or an Edge (neater and lighter) and strapping it onto your wrist somehow (having it flopping around on a lanyard would be intolerable).
By the way if plumping for a GPS that uses AAs, for running put Energizer Lithiums (primary cells) in, as they cut the all-up weight quite noticeably, compared with Duracells or NiMHs.

As a new adopter, unfortunately there is no way to avoid a steep learning curve with these things.  Almost everyone struggles at first, and Garmin's own documentation is not very helpful. SHIT

FTFY

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2014, 12:27:03 pm »
As a new adopter, unfortunately there is no way to avoid a steep learning curve with these things.  Almost everyone struggles at first, and Garmin's own documentation is not very helpful.

Though reading FF's website & trawling through the GPS threads on here as prep really helps.