Author Topic: Tomsk's ACME Helpers' Rides 2017  (Read 7658 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Tomsk's ACME Helpers' Rides 2017
« on: 22 January, 2017, 07:02:04 pm »
A provisional plan for Helpers' Rides, [at least as far as the summer] - anyone who can ride up to a fortnight before would be welcome to do a route-check and get the brevet. A DIY before that to check the route would be possible [& very useful] too, of course.

Horsepower 200: Saturday 25th February.

Green & Yellow Fields 300: Saturday 22nd April [& curry at 21:00 Friday?].

Asparagus & Strawberries: Saturday 27th May. I already have one offer from a rider who can't make the calendar event.

Kingdom of the East Saxons 400: Saturday 24th June [I'm away the fortnight before the event - IBT Cotswold Tour, so can't offer tlc to Helpers - sorry!]

Hereward the Wake 300: Due to the above commitments I can't do a 'Helper's' myself, but any offers would be good.

The Baron's Rides 200 miles, 200/100/50km likewise - too busy! I'll be checking the routes earlier in the year, though. Pick a day when you could ride...

Unless there's a good reason otherwise, we'll start the Helpers' Rides at the same time as the calendar event.

And of course I would be eternally grateful if you could help on the day of the event too!!  ACME NEEDS YOU! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Tomsk's ACME Helpers' Rides 2017
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2017, 09:13:17 pm »
Evening,
I should be fine for the following

Horsepower 200: Saturday 25th February. - I have the week before off so potential to do then if it helps.
Asparagus & Strawberries: Saturday 27th May.
Hereward the Wake 300 - I should be ok for the week before or 2 weeks before

For the Kingdom of the East Saxons I best not ride as I am up in Halifax the week before but I if the contingent is not too big I can maybe offer some floor/sofa space and general TLC in Tiptree (this would be at about 240km instead of ~270km)

Also Happy to pitch in with The Baron's rides as you get some more details. I am happy to do them early as DIY's or just miles if some route checking/writing is required.

cgg

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2017, 10:03:32 pm »
The Horsepower 200 would do nicely for my RttY February entry :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2017, 10:08:26 pm »
I think the issue with that is if you do it as the helpers ride for the calendar it is recorded as the Calendar event date.

Saying that Tomsk has the perm version which would still cover the same route and not have the 'helpers ride' issue.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2017, 12:48:04 am »
I think the issue with that is if you do it as the helpers ride for the calendar it is recorded as the Calendar event date.

Saying that Tomsk has the perm version which would still cover the same route and not have the 'helpers ride' issue.

Not quite — RRTY rides apply on the date ridden and so you just need to let BHOOT know when you send in your claim. 

I've ridden several RRTY rides in the previous month, and at least one in the previous season by riding helpers' rides (which needed to be ridden, it was seriously no pisseth taken).
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2017, 06:36:35 am »
 :thumbsup: good to know! Apologies for any confusion

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:19:57 am »
Two questions, though:

1) Does LEL count as July or August?

2) Does LEL count as a suitable 600 for Essex SR purposes?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:33:11 am »
LEL can count for either month but not both. Just ask for the second option if that is what you want.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:57:11 am »
LEL can count for either month but not both. Just ask for the second option if that is what you want.
I think Tomsk said he was going to be nice this year and not make us all go up and down the fens 4 times.....although I might well do that anyway for my fixed SR (don't even start Wilkyboy  ;D)

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:46:10 am »
Tom said that LEL would count as 600 for AMCE series purposes. I heard him in the 3 compasses.

If he denies it I will protest. I will raise a small red flag from the back of my yacht.

Will certainly be up for a helper or two and will be available on other rides for card/tea/tidyup duty...

A

« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2017, 12:24:23 pm »
Tom said that LEL would count as 600 for AMCE series purposes. I heard him in the 3 compasses.

I heard him say the same thing.  I can find some witnesses if necessary  O:-)
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »
Tomsk - do not worry I am not wanting to sign-up for a 600k helpers' ride, but I am available to offer any help required on the Green & Yellow Fields and Asparagus & Strawberries Rides.....just let me know.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »
I'd be happy to ride the helpers ride for Horsepower 200 if the weather is kind and you'll have me... Feb is a bit devoid of 200km's for the double...!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 06 February, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »
25th Feb is still ok for Horsepower 200 helpers' ride. We may be leaving later than the calendar event - say 09:00, to enable London riders to train it on the day...

LEL counts for the Essex SR...you all heard right, but don't let that stop your entries for The Flatliner/Flatlands rolling in  :D

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 06 February, 2017, 04:24:13 pm »
What are the Baron rides and when?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 07 February, 2017, 07:48:53 am »

15th & 16th July - not published yet. I was offered a ready-made control by Edwin Knight of the VCC [Penny Farthing racers]: he's organising a Bike Bicentenary festival based at Good Easter. Four events: 200 miles/km, 100 & 50km. Bit of an epic weekend if you do Hereward on Friday/Saturday first!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2017, 07:49:47 am »

15th & 16th July. I was offered a ready-made control by Edwin Knight of the VCC [Penny Farthing racers]: he's organising a Bike Bicentenary festival based at Good Easter. Four events: 200 miles/km, 100 & 50km. Bit of an epic weekend if you do Hereward on Friday/Saturday first!

rob

« Reply #17 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:00:52 am »

15th & 16th July - not published yet. I was offered a ready-made control by Edwin Knight of the VCC [Penny Farthing racers]: he's organising a Bike Bicentenary festival based at Good Easter. Four events: 200 miles/km, 100 & 50km. Bit of an epic weekend if you do Hereward on Friday/Saturday first!

There's a chance I could complete an Essex SR this year with 200, 400 & 600 in the offing.   I may need to perm the 300 as I can't make Green & Yellow Fields and the Hereward/Baron dates are the weekend before the 24hr.

« Reply #18 on: 16 February, 2017, 07:52:08 pm »
I could do the helper's ride for Hereward the Wake 300 on either of the 2 preceding weekends, and then help on the day(s).

Might also be available to ride a Baron's ride on one of those weekends also, preferably the 200km.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 20 February, 2017, 10:27:32 am »
Horsepower 200 Helpers' Ride: this Saturday 25th February. Starting at 07:30 as per the calendar ride, from my house. No need for a later start now, unless requested, as London riders are staying at the Travelodge in Dunmow.

A relaxed day out checking the route, with a cafe stop in Lavenham, probably at 'Chili and Chives', bouncing Snetterton as there is a club championship on [ticket only so no access to Tyrrells Restaurant] but picking up food for lunch in East Harling. Cafe stop in Newmarket, probably; arrivee drinks at the Angel and Harp...a full value day out, I expect.  :thumbsup:

We have 5, maybe 6 takers so far...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #20 on: 20 February, 2017, 07:10:28 pm »
 :o 07:30 - I was looking forward to a lie in! Bloody London cyclists!  ;D

Will the GPX of last year's ride suffice for emergency get-me-round ?

See you Saturday!  :thumbsup:  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #21 on: 20 February, 2017, 09:11:33 pm »
Will the GPX of last year's ride suffice for emergency get-me-round ?

Yes JJ, last year's GPX should be fine, unless there have been any route changes since.  Tomsk has it up on the AUK website  :thumbsup:

Originals here:  https://ridewithgps.com/events/6955-the-horsepower-200 — and you can browse, pan, zoom, etc.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #22 on: 20 February, 2017, 10:13:40 pm »
Ta :)
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #23 on: 20 February, 2017, 10:43:03 pm »
I may well come along for a trundle round on Saturday as I can't ride the calendar event, although I should be able to help at the start.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

cgg

« Reply #24 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:54:54 am »
Well I didn't get the memo on the Great Dunmow Travelodge. No biggie as there are plenty of trains to Stansted Airport in the morning, see you on Saturday :)