Author Topic: ACME Easter Arrow Teams 2017  (Read 18278 times)

Re: ACME Easter Arrow Teams 2017
« Reply #25 on: 29 January, 2017, 01:48:50 pm »
I guess I am going to ride back (80ish I think along the canals and then UP the hill in Chingford and Epping Forest.

I may well join you for the first part tippers, assuming the canal is the River Lea. Even though the Stansted Express will be running, I'm thinking a gently cycle will be more enjoyable.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #26 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:25:29 pm »
hehe....boat....I meant boat.

The even funnier thing was she had been waiting to meet someone from New Zealand to discuss the merits of Swandri's, couldn't believe here luck!

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 01 February, 2017, 06:26:06 pm »
Looks like 80km ride to Witham. So a lazy ride down on Thursday, nosh at the Wetherspoons, then the evening start works well.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:44:52 pm »
I've a tentative route...needs finessing, but I'll put something out to Thursday evening starters for consultation eventually. Roughly 100km between proper stops [1x 24 hour McDonalds, 1x Wetherspoons for breakfast and 1x not sure yet...]. Mostly main roads through the night [get the Fens done] then some lanes through the Lincolnshire and Yorkshire Wolds.

If we really have enough for two Thursday evening teams [currently 2 x 3 - I'd like a minimum of 4 in each really, in case of illness or anything else unforeseen], then is anybody up for captaining Dynamite Team 2? We can use the same route, but start an hour apart: 19:00 & 20:00?? That way we might just meet briefly at the 100km stops if we have enough time in hand.

« Reply #29 on: 01 February, 2017, 09:02:31 pm »
I've a tentative route...

Excellent news, thank you.

is anybody up for captaining Dynamite Team 2?

If we get to the 2 Thursday departing teams, and the division of riders makes it sensible for me to be in the second team, then I could captain, assuming it is just the admin to sort out. If it is more involved, I've not done an Arrow previously so it might be better for a more experienced person to take it on.

« Reply #30 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:44:57 pm »
If there isn't a more local team I can join, I'd be happy to make up the numbers (I could start on the Thursday). Never done a tean event, or organised anything.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #31 on: 01 February, 2017, 11:02:45 pm »
In the spirit of N York's/mid-Essex cooperation, shout up if there's an accommodation need on Friday night for a thursday-departing ACME rider or two. We could probably find a corner in the Den :)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #32 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:55:08 am »
I've a tentative route...needs finessing, but I'll put something out to Thursday evening starters for consultation eventually. Roughly 100km between proper stops [1x 24 hour McDonalds, 1x Wetherspoons for breakfast and 1x not sure yet...]. Mostly main roads through the night [get the Fens done] then some lanes through the Lincolnshire and Yorkshire Wolds.

If we really have enough for two Thursday evening teams [currently 2 x 3 - I'd like a minimum of 4 in each really, in case of illness or anything else unforeseen], then is anybody up for captaining Dynamite Team 2? We can use the same route, but start an hour apart: 19:00 & 20:00?? That way we might just meet briefly at the 100km stops if we have enough time in hand.
Great news on the route Tom. Looking forward to seeing it.  Do you want it knocking into a visual on RidewithGPS ?

I've a tentative route...

Excellent news, thank you.

is anybody up for captaining Dynamite Team 2?

If we get to the 2 Thursday departing teams, and the division of riders makes it sensible for me to be in the second team, then I could captain, assuming it is just the admin to sort out. If it is more involved, I've not done an Arrow previously so it might be better for a more experienced person to take it on.

IIRC there wasn't much to it on the Easter Dart thingy I did last year, especially if Tom has taken care of the route planning... it's just putting your name at the top of the team list iirc.

In the spirit of N York's/mid-Essex cooperation, shout up if there's an accommodation need on Friday night for a thursday-departing ACME rider or two. We could probably find a corner in the Den :)

Thats a great kind offer CL...   :thumbsup:

I have already reserved some hotel rooms (5 off) they are all on a flexible booking so if anyone would like to take CL up on his offer let me know...
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:06:04 pm »
Thanks...Crinkles, jibers and psyclist for the positive thoughts and offers...to be considered.  :thumbsup: There's a convention that routes and controls aren't disclosed beyond the team - it is a competition of sorts, in this supposedly non-competitive branch of the sport.

I'd be grateful for a gps version for those that need it, but really all you have to do is obey the Captain ;D [One year we did lose a rider who insisted he knew best on a number of occasions, then went over the Humber Bridge, on the main carriageway, and non-stop to Beverley centre, where we took the cyclepath and controlled at Morrisons, well outside of town...we didn't wait for him to twig].

Phil W

« Reply #34 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
The captain herds the team goats up the route. Ensures stops are not too long. Ensures the pace is neither too fast nor too slow. Watches out for anyone struggling. Uses the stronger riders to the team's advantage. Not that I've ever been a captain of an arrow team, but that's what I'd want.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 09 February, 2017, 08:42:37 pm »
Any new recruits to the Thursday evening teams? A fixed team would be fun - that's me, tippers, jibers?? Reluctantly, that sets the two hoots free to tow the other team...

Also any thoughts on preferred start times - that may decide who goes in which team?

« Reply #36 on: 09 February, 2017, 08:59:08 pm »
I'm likely to be on my fixed gear bike also, but do want to avoid being the slowest rider in a group ... Tomsk, Tippers and Jibers sounds like it'll be a relentless train powering north.

Early evening start would suit me, so can enjoy more of an evening in York. But I'll fit in with what suits others. I'll be working at home, so can get to the starting place at any time.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #37 on: 09 February, 2017, 09:12:03 pm »
Not sure I can carry enough on the fixed so I'll be on the CdF probably... Unless I put the bar bag on the fixed... Also no dynamo lighting on fixed.... so some thinking to do
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2017, 09:25:58 pm »
I'm thinking a 8pm ish start on the Thursday. My thoughts are a lazy ride over (80km) to Witham during the day so I can get train direct home on the Sat. Have a relaxing meal at the Wetherspoons ready for the start.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2017, 09:31:16 pm »
When I rode the LEL route up to Thirsk, an 18:30 start from Chelmsford had me crossing the bridge at around lunchtime the next day..
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #40 on: 09 February, 2017, 09:33:56 pm »
I suppose it depends on where the not to mentioned control points are. We want to make the most of a food stop somewhere along the way.

« Reply #41 on: 10 February, 2017, 11:05:14 am »
I'm likely to be on my fixed gear bike also, but do want to avoid being the slowest rider in a group ... Tomsk, Tippers and Jibers sounds like it'll be a relentless train powering north.

Early evening start would suit me, so can enjoy more of an evening in York. But I'll fit in with what suits others. I'll be working at home, so can get to the starting place at any time.
I will be plenty nervous about a 400 km Fixed team ride, the TEAM part being my biggest concern again.

The Fens are great on fixed (obviously the wind could always change that) but until I get up to strength I am pretty sure there will be some walking involved in the Wolds and I shall be suffering for quite a while, that is why we do this right, to get in the hurt locker ;-) Personally I think riding the Arrow on fixed will mean the team sticks together even more and that after all is the idea of the whole event.

There are times when people might have to let go though, Phil W experienced this last year when he as feeling well under par and was by no means his normal self. I go into an arrow hoping (maybe even expecting) to be successful but knowing if I am really slowing the team down I should make the decision to let them go on without me. Saying that, during 24 hours everyone will probably go through a low patch and the team should be there to work together through these bits.

« Reply #42 on: 10 February, 2017, 11:34:32 am »
Team dynamite seems to be in high organisation mode.

How are the captain and vice-captain of Team anvil getting on ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #43 on: 10 February, 2017, 11:39:29 am »

Are you sure you can't be tempted over to ACME team Fixie

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #44 on: 10 February, 2017, 01:32:54 pm »
I will start planning team Acme Anvil 200k outleg start route from Witham this weekend to a mid-point control (TBC).

Hoping to confirm the mid-point control early next week by PM. Sid can then use this control to start his route planning.....
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #45 on: 10 February, 2017, 01:35:52 pm »
I will start planning team Acme Anvil 200k outleg start route from Witham this weekend to a mid-point control (TBC).

Hoping to confirm the mid-point control early next week by PM. Sid can then use this control to start his route planning.....

Remember your two key words; flat and tailwind.

« Reply #46 on: 10 February, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »

Not with you hooligans. 

It is entirely possible that myself, Bobb and the Award Winner will all ride fixed in the civilised group that is team anvil.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #47 on: 10 February, 2017, 02:45:45 pm »

Not with you hooligans. 

It is entirely possible that myself, Bobb and the Award Winner will all ride fixed in the civilised group that is team anvil.

I rode fixed with Tomsk, Tippers, PhilW and the late RichE all on gears last year — the tailwind certainly helped, but the overall speed was well within fixed-gear range on 72-inches.  I had no trouble keeping up, even the one or two hills were no real problem, just gotta keep on top of the gear.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #48 on: 10 February, 2017, 06:09:28 pm »
I had no trouble keeping up, even the one or two hills were no real problem, just gotta keep on top of the gear.

Last year you could have kept up with me if you'd been on a skate board with a missing wheel.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #49 on: 10 February, 2017, 08:49:03 pm »
I had no trouble keeping up, even the one or two hills were no real problem, just gotta keep on top of the gear.

Last year you could have kept up with me if you'd been on a skate board with a missing wheel.

Don`t give Wilky ideas for his next ride, if he can strap a Garmin and a Carradice to it he might just try it!