Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2017  (Read 32943 times)

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
Re: Easter Arrow 2017
« Reply #25 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:47:55 am »
I could well be up for joining an ACME arrow team if there are places (and assuming I can get the required permission)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:53:48 am »
I fancy having a go at something like this but I don't know of anybody else nearby who does. I may need to find a team

I do think its worth travelling to find the right team. It's a long weekend so there is time, and remember that everyone has to get back from York anyway, so you won't be the only one with logistical challenges to solve!

(The Londoners and Bristolians are just very lucky in this respect, life handed to them on a plate, don't know they're born ... etc ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:55:43 am »
I could well be up for joining an ACME arrow team if there are places (and assuming I can get the required permission)

You will have to ride with the A team  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #28 on: 18 October, 2016, 12:13:40 pm »
Me too. Hoping ACME can form an unhurried 2nd team prepared to tolerate my lack of pace.

Says the hyper randonneur.

I am up for an ACME B team and I think Bobb is as well. That's the core of a team at least.

As am I...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #29 on: 18 October, 2016, 12:24:33 pm »
I am certainly up for a B team. Definitely not A team material.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #30 on: 18 October, 2016, 01:14:35 pm »
Looks like Jibers and BobScarle are keen additions to ACME B Team. Ted, how about taking on role of ACME Team B captain/leader?
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #31 on: 18 October, 2016, 01:41:57 pm »
I was going to say BobScarle that knowing the other people or being geographically close is not necessary. Last year 4 of us met for the first time at 08:00 hours and headed off. We had never riden together before so after about 3 hours we had a chat about speeds which allowed us all to continue.

Our group riding was patchy with some people going too fast but we had a real. Ariation in when people felt tired which meant everybody could be protected when needed. (At least that is how I remember it)

I would ride with any of them again with pleasure.

« Reply #32 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:08:50 pm »
Looks like Jibers and BobScarle are keen additions to ACME B Team. Ted, how about taking on role of ACME Team B captain/leader?
Yes, good idea. With the miles you have covered this year , I think you would make an excellent leader.  You have my vote.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:35:48 pm »
How many in a team? I am indeed up for it. ACME might need a C team at this rate!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #34 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:42:52 pm »
Yes, good idea. With the miles you have covered this year , I think you would make an excellent leader.  You have my vote.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Happy to do that... Might do a reccie next week...  :thumbsup:

Destination is Lowestoft isn't it?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #35 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:44:50 pm »
We can always kick Jiber up into the A team.  Although as I was typing this he seems to have stepped on the Straggler's shoes and volunteered to lead us as far as Lowestoft.

I would promote you but I would miss the hedge stops  ;D

Will I need to start riding my bike again ?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #36 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:54:04 pm »
We can always kick Jiber up into the A team.  Although as I was typing this he seems to have stepped on the Straggler's shoes and volunteered to lead us as far as Lowestoft.

I would promote you but I would miss the hedge stops  ;D

Will I need to start riding my bike again ?

Well, in one of them ACME meetings MEMWNS pub sessions you don't turn up to anymore, there was already talk of ACME B coming into existence... not sure I have the pace for Team A tbf! :)

Yes - get back on your bike!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #37 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »
Aye aye, Cap'n Jiber.

Looking forward to your route for the Arrow.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #38 on: 18 October, 2016, 08:02:03 pm »
All sounds good, I don't mind slowing the C team down a bit ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #39 on: 18 October, 2016, 08:03:57 pm »
Hey, bernster and straggler, have you joined our club yet? We need your points ;D

« Reply #40 on: 18 October, 2016, 08:47:48 pm »
I think we should aim for an A, C, M and E team!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 18 October, 2016, 09:08:09 pm »
How many in a team? I am indeed up for it. ACME might need a C team at this rate!

3 minimum, 5 max [that's machines, could have 10 riders on 5 tandems].

Best to ride a 200 or two with your team to gauge how everyone works. Captains need to be a bit strict about keeping to a set pace, neither dawdling nor burning out the weaker riders and looking out for who's struggling. Sometimes riders perk up after taking it easy and being protected/rested, but maybe sometimes it's necessary to do a humane cull, ideally before the last train out of the Lincolnshire badlands.

Be quite strict about stopped time and faffage, get slow eaters in the 'spoons first, everyone stops for a visit to the 'hedge', whether needed or not otherwise you'll be stopping every 10 miles for someone and so on...

It's all about the team.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #42 on: 19 October, 2016, 04:30:58 pm »
So there's about 20 riders heading up from Essex and about 2 from the west side of London.   :facepalm:  Despite the promise of a magic carpet ride tow  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 19 October, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »
 :facepalm: Once again Essex hijack a thread, sorry! Can we postpone thinking seriously about the ACME pincer movement on York until sometime after Chr%stm&s.

« Reply #44 on: 20 October, 2016, 02:35:56 pm »
I am inspired by this thread and putting together an Arrow team for 2017. So far 4 definites and one maybe riding from Chester area. Can anyone let us in on the secret of what happens when we get to York? (other than serious dozies!) I hope for the joy of meeting fellow AUK members but probably won't be up to a ceilidh! (especially if we are on the tandem and have to plot a route home too before 'back to work' time!)  ;D

« Reply #45 on: 20 October, 2016, 07:38:32 pm »
Can anyone let us in on the secret of what happens when we get to York?

BEER AND BREAKFAST :smug:

CHEERS

DAVE
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #46 on: 20 October, 2016, 07:44:10 pm »
Can anyone let us in on the secret of what happens when we get to York?

BEER AND BREAKFAST :smug:

CHEERS

DAVE

And shouting!

« Reply #47 on: 08 November, 2016, 01:10:15 pm »
Thought I would mention this on a club run recently. Hmmmmm. After they stopped laughing and realised that it was a serious proposiion, not one put their hand up and said they would be up for the challenge. So it looks like joining a team further away with the logistical challenges in that. If the rules allowed, I would ride alone. Billy no mates me  :(

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #48 on: 08 November, 2016, 04:44:48 pm »
Basingstoke team has two members and looking for two more.   A flatter route has been found - Basingstoke - Wallingford - Leighton Buzzard - Biggleswade - Chatteris - Boston - Brigg or nearby - Goole - York (at about 440km) with opportunities to extend if fair weather and good legs.  Probable 9am start.  After the Upper Thames at the weekend am more confident about being able to do long periods of dial-a-speed on the front thanks to the remarkable improvement provided by tri-bars on my 14 year old Roberts Audax machine
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #49 on: 08 November, 2016, 05:00:50 pm »
Basingstoke team has two members and looking for two more.   A flatter route has been found - Basingstoke - Wallingford - Leighton Buzzard - Biggleswade - Chatteris - Boston - Brigg or nearby - Goole - York (at about 440km) with opportunities to extend if fair weather and good legs.  Probable 9am start.  After the Upper Thames at the weekend am more confident about being able to do long periods of dial-a-speed on the front thanks to the remarkable improvement provided by tri-bars on my 14 year old Roberts Audax machine

Could be interested, I'm Southampton way.  What happens on the way back?