Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152859 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #550 on: 07 April, 2019, 10:19:13 am »
I think it was just as beautiful when the mines were active, but in a different way.
I don't know what we should or could have done to save the communities but the "nothing" that actually happened has left a generation bereft. I've flippantly described it as terrifying but it's also very very sad.

« Reply #551 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:30:04 am »
There's still a lot of bad feeling among the older generation about the way that the Thatcher governments did nothing while coal mines, shipyards, steelworks, engineering firms closed down in the 1980's.  I'm not sure how many of the young ones know about this history though, as local history doesn't seem to be on the school curriculum anymore.  No doubt they are still affected by the after effects on their local community.

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #552 on: 18 April, 2019, 07:39:19 pm »
Overnight 300 DIY starting at York then taking in the delights of Selby, Knottingley, Thorne and Goole before heading down the Trent to cross at Keadby. Not very pretty but as it was dark it didn't matter.  Up to the Humber Bridge followed by York (again) and a schlep up the Vale to Darlo.

Arranged to doss ina mate's conservatory in Goole but overslept a bit and had to work hard against the wind to get back in time. Also meant I missed the sun coming up as I crossed the bridge but it was foggy anyway so wouldn't have seen it.

First go at a 300 as a stepping stone to the Great North Road 400 next month. Think it would have gone better if I'd done it all in daylight.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #553 on: 06 May, 2019, 01:14:30 pm »
Decided to knock out an easy 200 on Sunday for one of the RRTYs

Strong Northerly so after a good rest on Saturday morning took the train up to the parents caravan near Pitlochry.
Set off along the north road into the wind along the lochs towards Rannoch Station for a second breakfast although scandalously the sausage was the wrong shape for these pairts.

Wind assisted back off the Muir and onto the South rannoch road before taking on the Schiehallion climb, Braes of Foss was very busy on this sunny, but cold and windy day and I wasn't really trying, however O set a few PBs on the way down to Coshiville particularly in the wide open top section near the deer park.
I decided I need to look up the source of Coshieville as it looks suspiciously Latin.

Took the Dull road to Aberfeldy where I stopped at the Watermill for a baguette before wishing I'd rested longer as I hauled myself up Griffin.
Never realized the descent to Amulree was so long, but Iv'e only been down this way once before, and then was rudely reminded that it's a climb from the junction through the village and then to the top of the Sma' Glen.

The climb from the Sma' Glen to the Buchanty junction is one I always forget and it never looks or feels as steep on the way down it as it does on the way up.
Contemplated the greenness of Glen Almond now I was out of the Highlands and then remembered there's a bit of moorland to climb before the plunge to Kinky bridge via the Fowlis'.
Got a bit worried I was on the wrong road as I'd set Kinky Bridge as a way point and didn't recognize the road going this way, crossed the A9 at Aberuthven and then stopped at the shop in Dunning and realized that I was going to be home around 2 hours earlier than I'd allowed for.
Just a blat along Strathearn to Kintillo and then up the South Tay road to Hazleton from where it's downhill all the way home.

Nice easy day despite the climbing!

« Reply #554 on: 01 June, 2019, 02:18:42 pm »
Pinch, punch, first of the month so a good day to bank a 200k DIY to keep an RRtY attempt going.

Woke at 3:40 and it was just about light so I got ready and set off on the dot of four. Down to the coast on the C2C track and through Sunderland before anyone was about. Even Hendon is tolerable when it's deserted.

Worked my way South through the 'Thatchered coal fields' (© Steve S & fboab. See upthread ^^^) to cross the Tees at Yarm. It was still too early for anywhere to be open for breakfast so I had a forecourt buffet at the garage on the Kirklevington road then cut across to Kiplin where I turned my nose for home.

Recrossed the Tees at Winston and crossed over into the Wear catchment through Cockfield and the various Aucklands, which were wick with lunchtime traffic. I'd been going right well up until then but a combination of rough surfaces on the Bishop/Brandon cycle path, rain, a million pedestrians and a squillion flies saw my average speed dropping on what should have been an easy bit.

Got onto the A167 at Durham, dropped onto the tri bars and flogged my way home to upload my tracklog before lunch. That's this month sorted then - I can sit on my backside and drink beer until July which should see the completion of my RRtY.

« Reply #555 on: 02 June, 2019, 10:21:27 am »
Pinch, punch, first of the month so a good day to bank a 200k DIY to keep an RRtY attempt going.

I had the same idea, by doing a circuit from Ponteland.  A 5.00am start, heading north west at first along the lanes then across to the coast.  A mapping error meant a bit of COR involving crossing a couple of fields, and three stiles; then a stretch on what turned out to be a private road.  Then along the coastal NCN past Druridge Bay, Howick Haven, to Amble then the road to Seahouses, Bamburgh, Waren Bay.  Lovely views across the beaches and the sea in the sunshine meant that the dodgy surface and a couple of stretches where I had to walk were worthwhile.

It clouded over and a few spots of rain as I slogged my way back down to Ponteland against a cross / headwind.  As a result of this empirical research I can confirm that:

- a recumbent bike (even a relatively light two wheeler) isn't easy to lift over a stile
- high pressure slick tyres aren't ideal for bumpy grass and muddy troughs
- however on the other hand the herd of cattle that followed me across the field seemed interested in the bike.  Or maybe thought that I was going to feed them
- the slightly lower height of the bike made it easier to duck under an electric fence at the end of the private road

Despite the comedy off-road and coastal tracks, an enjoyable day out and I was back well within the time limit.  So subject to the usual, that's the June ride sorted.

« Reply #556 on: 16 June, 2019, 02:58:09 pm »
Got a bad case of cabin fever after this week's deluge so got up early and took myself off for breakfast in Topcliffe. Yet another schlep down and back up the Vale of York for a 200 DIY.

Almost hit a deer and a heron but not at the same time. Other than that the only thing of note was being overtaken by someone on the little dig up from the Red Lion at Plawsworth. Mortified to be overtaken by a bloke on a BSO wearing footy shorts and a baggy T shirt. The first thing that sprang to mind was that line from Paul Kimmage's book Rough Ride, 'overtaken by a bloody Fred'. Consoled myself with the thought that he didn't have 200km in his legs and he was forty years younger than me.

Still though, overtaken by a bloody Fred.

« Reply #557 on: 29 June, 2019, 07:54:29 am »
Just sitting in Luton for my first control stop on my first ever perm. All a bit last minute so I'm hoping the route etc. are compliant with requirements - if not then I was doing the ride anyway so no great loss.

Mostly smooth riding so far after a slightly fiddly start. Unintentionally found myself following a familiar route from The Jetsetter for much of it through some lovely tree-lined lanes. Here's hoping the route stays nice and the threatened heat wave is gentler than predicted.

bairn again

« Reply #558 on: 07 July, 2019, 10:02:04 am »
I enjoyed a lovely one way ride Stonehaven - Edinburgh yesterday for 200km.  https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36918590

My original plan was to ride Edinburgh - Stonehaven Friday but havingm left work later than planned a monsoon in Perth had me heading for the train up.

Ive dusted down the Van Nicholas as Im seriously thinking about using it on PBP on grounds of comfort.  It didnt let me down.  Bit sluggish v carbon at times but smooth as silk.  Overnight 300 DIY planned next Fri/Sat. 

« Reply #559 on: 07 July, 2019, 08:07:01 pm »
Very nice outing from Glasgow yesterday, 200k DIY route that headed south west then back inland over Wanlockhead. Some lovely new surfaced roads including a large section of the dreaded B7076 up from Abington which was a pleasure to ride on. https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36900423
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #560 on: 11 July, 2019, 02:42:55 pm »
A new part of the country for me with a 200 DIY around some Cheshire lanes. A bit surprised to find it's not all flat with gradients of 12 - 13% in places. Mostly pleasant rolling countryside though and the flat bits still have hedgerows unlike the prairies over in the East.

About a mile of pavé between Lower and Upper Peover wasn't the worst stretch of road and I was left with severe neck pains afterwards. A very pleasant route spoiled by some dreadful road surfaces.

« Reply #561 on: 12 July, 2019, 09:05:12 am »
DIY 200k yesterday, starting / finishing at Piercebridge.  A loop to the west taking in Barnard Castle, Whorlton bridge and Richmond so the first thirty five miles were quite hilly but nice roads and lovely scenery.  Then increasingly flat as I went through the Vale of York down to Thirsk, Easingwold and Northallerton.

Nice snack at the Deli and cafe in Brafferton and because of the heat I had to drink some beer to replace the electrolytes.  It got very hot in the afternoon despite a strong breeze but the thunderstorms held off.  A bit hillier than some of my previous DIY's in North Yorkshire but a nicer route and less time on the boring main roads.  There was even a mile or two of off-road near West Harlsey, signed as part of the Coast to Coast long distance walk, however as it was a wide track used for access to some houses I suppose one bicycle wouldn't be a problem.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #562 on: 12 July, 2019, 11:03:15 pm »
Oot tae Carrick 200km perm from Dumfries today. Various events and GPS DIYs completed in the past but this was my first perm.
Cracking route through Dumfries and Galloway and Ayrshire. Some dodgy roads in places (where isn't there) but mostly on quiet roads. Nigglin head wind for the first part of the ride but warm and dry

bairn again

« Reply #563 on: 21 July, 2019, 12:55:09 pm »
After recent mojo loss, I forced myself out on a 200 from home to Stonehaven yesterday.  An early rise was required to have enough time for the pre booked train home at 1510 and my scheduled timekeeping stint at the 24 starting 0230 this morning

I was back on the carbon steed used for PBP qualifiers but with a different saddle and left home at 0430.  After about 1km this nosedived and I had to stop to readjust it.  This involved removing my saddlepack and it was 15 minutes or so before I got going. 

It stayed dry til Dalmeny at 8km when it started to rain steadily.  I had been expecting flooding at DRon but the road was fine.  Usual shit driving was experienced through Perth even though it was still early.  I celebrated getting off the A94 at Collace and had a couple of bananas to keep me going til my scheduled feed stop in McForfar.  The roads between Meigle and Forfar were quite badly flooded and I just had to take pot luck and assume there were no potholes. A biblical downpour looked to be enveloping Forfar and was heading East.

At McDs in Forfar I discovered Id left my bank cards and train tickets at home so breakfast was instead paid for by emergency cash from the town centre machine courtesy of my phone (an all day breakfast with tea - much better than a McBreakfast!) and the sun came out too and all of a sudden it was warm.  A braw hurl to Montrose at 150km was stopped in its tracks around Hillside where my legs started to give up a bit and I started doing the mental arithmetic on my average speed to catch the train. 

I thought I had lots of time but the road between Fettercairn and Auchenblae was seriously flooded in three or four places and a few drivers coming towards me stopped and told me Id not get through it.  The worst bit had my bike in below the axle and even with my feet at "quarter to three" they were submerged, but I could just about still see the white line up the middle of the road.  Id no practical alternative really anyway.

Even with a stop to put my jacket back on just after Auchenblae (yes, heavy rain) and a change of batteries for my GPS I rolled into Stoney at 1445. 

I was delighted to recognise the guard on the LNER service who welcomed me with a "afternoon sir, we were expecting you and a bicycle to Haymarket again" which eased any concerns about not having my ticket though I did have pdfs on my phone just in case. 

Snooze on the train, home, wash, drove down to Whitchurch to do my timekeeping stint on the 24, snooze in the car, drove back and now Im home with a filthy bike to clean!

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37533547

ps - yes I know I can use a phone to pay stuff and to hold rail tickets, but Id only leave that at home as well and then be totally gubbed. 

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #564 on: 24 July, 2019, 09:35:04 pm »
Tried to.
Got a flat after 20km, changed the tube. Inflated with gas. Tube burst after 2km.
Fitted new tube, inflated with pump rode to bike shop bought more tubes, borrowed track pump to top up tube.  Tube burst. Checked tyre and rim carefully no sharp edges, fitted third tube. While inflating noticed it poking out of sidewall.
Fitted new tyre, no more problems, but too much time lost to complete 200km so cut ride down to 100 miles.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #565 on: 28 July, 2019, 07:16:17 pm »
Route checked my audax today, "Riding the Ghost" and a cracking day it was too !  :thumbsup:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2570910326

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #566 on: 28 July, 2019, 07:22:31 pm »
Route checked my audax today, "Riding the Ghost" and a cracking day it was too !  :thumbsup:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2570910326

I was looking forward to that 200km! Will be a DNS for me, sadly, due to recovering from abdominal surgery.  :facepalm:

« Reply #567 on: 28 July, 2019, 07:22:57 pm »
That looks a lovely route. When's the ride?

« Reply #568 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:12:18 pm »
18th August. 
GWS Brian.  I might be heading for a "wee procedure" myself later in the year

« Reply #569 on: 04 August, 2019, 11:13:13 am »
Thursday to Saturday did a DIY 600. Darlo to Boston and back.

That's an August ride for my next RRtY and a full set for an SR this season assuming DIY counts.

For anyone thinking of going that way you might want to avoid Lincoln until they've got it finished.

Slept in a bus shelter for the first time since I was a teenager. Stillington - highly recommended for it's comfortable bench if not for it's privacy, it being mostly of glass.

Kept falling asleep on Saturday which made me really time pressed to get back to Darlo for the train my bike was booked on. Bust a gut to get there only to find they'd cancelled it. >:(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #570 on: 07 August, 2019, 10:47:09 pm »
3, 2, 1, back in the room. The audax hiatus has been broken with a DIYxGPS, pretty much the same 400 as I did last year. I got lucky with the weather. Only a couple of brief showers and the night section was warm enough for short sleeves until nearly midnight. Only spotted two other cyclists between Furryboottoon and Kirriemuir!
Spotted a several of buzzards, a couple of brown hares, red deer and roe deer and a fox. One roe deer trotted in front of me on the other side of the road for a couple of hundred meters - I got fed up with it trying to find an escape point and overtook it.
Great control manning by Mrs P who provided food and isotonics :-p

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #571 on: 08 August, 2019, 08:07:11 pm »
Yes - a 200 to Dedham Vale and the Tendring Peninsula. While hydrating in Harwich Spoons a small boy spotted my bike in the car park. His uncle said to him "that's a proper bike for riding a long way" :))
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #572 on: 19 August, 2019, 04:17:52 pm »
Not today, last Thursday.  We were on holiday in Coldingham Bay for the week, so I took the chance of a 200k DIY on the recumbent.  Dry but windy, and lots of hills with the biggest climbs including the B road past Whiteadder reservoir in the first section.

I stopped for a comfort break behind some trees, and shortly afterwards saw a 'Danger - Adders' sign.  Could have been a nasty accident ....

Looked like a nice cafe in Gifford, called the "Lanterne Rouge" but I didn't have time to stop as I was pushing the time limit all the way round as a result of the on-going hilly / windy conditions.

Lovely long downhill on the way to Innerliethen, then a mix of tailwind assisted fast sections and steep little climbs back across to Coldingham.  The Cote de Chirnside defeated me, had to walk the last steep section but the chipshop at the top was open for a welcome bottle of Barrs Cola to help me along the final few miles.

bairn again

« Reply #573 on: 29 December, 2019, 11:04:51 am »
Made a spur of the moment decision to ride a 200 DIY yesterday - I was at risk of turning into a Christmas turkey.

An easy tailwind assisted one way ride on my favourite roads up to Stonehaven from Edinburgh.  I left at 0630 in order to try and get all of the riding in the dark out the way at the start.  I thought Id be hungry enough to stop at Perth (70k) but my bodys ahem <reserves> were enough to last until McForfar (120km) - rammed as ever - on only a back pocket banana.

The weather forecast Friday night said that anybody seeing the sun yesterday would be lucky - which I was - the lanes after Marykirk being most enjoyable but it was very noticeable how much crud there was on the roads following weeks of rain, though they did start to dry in the daylight.  The rise on the road approaching Auchenblae had a very fine silt on it which made for slightly slippy riding. 

Id been using my hub front light backed up by a long lasting USB back up and I was glad I did - on the lumpy road between Auchenblae and Stoney I went to employ my hub light and it wasnt working (later identifed that the cable had been severed - Id heard an odd noise earlier in the ride which may explain it - a soldering job beckons today along with a manky bike).

My train home was booked from Aberdeen at 8pm and Id toyed with adding the 25km or so from Stoney to Aberdeen just as extras but I didnt want to tempt fate in the dark given my light troubles, and my 200 was complete by Stoney in any event.

Id made it to the station at Stoney by 1545 so just over 9 hrs (told you I had a tailwind) and hopped on a delayed train to Aberdeen immediately.  My pre booked train home from Aberdeen was non flexible so I went to the Ashvale for a fish tea and then had a couple of beers in Casc near the station.

Navigation was from memory (I used to ride one way to Aberdeen more regularly when daughter #1 was a student there a few years ago and its a ride I love) so I used my phone to record the ride (a first for me) with a supporting battery pack which seemed to work ok. 

Id initially considered doing a 300 by leaving home Friday night and adding in a Stirling dogleg but Im glad I didnt as the roads were very wet and Id have been out in the rain too. 

Nice day out, quite a "spivvy" way to get a 200 done but yesterday was more about me proving to myself that I can still actually ride this distance.  :thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #574 on: 01 January, 2020, 03:56:24 pm »
Had planned to grab some 200s for kicking off a couple of RRTYs for the new year, and Continuing them promptly with a hilly neers day ride before riding home on the 3rd.

That I am sitting by the fire as the wind hurtles up loch torridon and whistles through the rafters and rones of the cottage my hiking club have booked for the hogmanay is one failure thankfully not submitted.

The first day was a relatively gentle ride over to Fort William by cutting the corner of the tay from Dundee to Dunkeld and for breakfast part 2 and then following the cycle routes over to Dalwhinnie.

I can Confirm that the resurfaced section on the Highlands side of drummochter is fantastic except for the obstacled cemented in to render progress challenging on an upright with carradice perched high off the seat, trike or panniers problematic.

Stopped at wolftrax for lunch arriving at Glen Nevis hostel in decent time via Banavie to get the distance up to scratch.

Day 2 started well, a good shove north on a near deserted A82 at 8am before encountering more traffic on the A87 presumably off to Skye Holiday homes for the new year.
I routed iver the big lump of the A890 rsther than Plockton and reached strathcarron in daylight.
To get 200km on the hostels doorstep I needed to go up to Achnasheen and this is where it unravelled.
A gentle shove at sea level is all well and good but when you're hurtling up hill at 36kmh near Achnasheen you're in for a fright at the junction.
Driven horizontal rain previously behind me on the climb was now being pushed through the gap of the pass to Loch maree,  leaving the shelter of the trees at the ledgowan promptly informed me of the problem and significant correction was required, once I'd made it to the roundabout I discovered turning the bike up the road was in the realms of impossibility, my first attempt resulting in being returned in the direction I'd approached the circle in, the second, to turn the bike back round failed and I decided I'd be better returning to strathcarron and going via kishorn and Shieldaig.
At this point I started a southward struggle that ended in the back of a van, thankfully full of Mountain bikes and a collie rather than medical equipment.

A longer day than intended by some distance and no 2 points, but at least that was a bonus.l than needed for the rrty.

Bit concerned as to how I'm going to get to Inverness tomorrow though it looks like I'll get a good shove to Achnasheen, and then hopefully the 1320 train.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk