Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186152 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #300 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:15:05 am »
And a further sign of decrepitude:

Was just on phone to accountant. Told him I had two questions I needed answers to. By the time we'd discussed the first I had forgotten the second. And I still can't remember it. :facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #301 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:43:56 am »
I have, upon my desk, an actual printed volume of the Science Citation Index that I use to scare children.

Slightly predates me, in my day, we searched MEDLINE on CD-ROM, one disk for each year...

In my office refurb, I threw out a few trees worth of printed health and safety guidance that came from Barber's Index, a similarly CD-Rom based catalogue with monthly updates.  All of that stuff is now available as pdf free downloads, with umpteen documents on a thing the size of a postage stamp.

Despite all the available online information, this weeks client still didn't have a clue about chemical safety. Keeps me in a job  ::-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #302 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:46:20 am »
Chemical safety. Don't drink it, breathe it, shake it, or leave it in daylight.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #303 on: 23 February, 2017, 09:17:56 am »
And a further sign of decrepitude:

Was just on phone to accountant. Told him I had two questions I needed answers to. By the time we'd discussed the first I had forgotten the second. And I still can't remember it. :facepalm:

Excellent! I do this all the time. And something else, which I cannot remember just now.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #304 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:29:56 am »
In my office refurb, I threw out a few trees worth of printed health and safety guidance that came from Barber's Index, a similarly CD-Rom based catalogue with monthly updates.  All of that stuff is now available as pdf free downloads, with umpteen documents on a thing the size of a postage stamp.

Despite all the available online information, this weeks client still didn't have a clue about chemical safety. Keeps me in a job  ::-)

See also: SPON

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #305 on: 23 February, 2017, 12:15:27 pm »
At the GP, discussing changing my contraception to see if it helps my depression, the GP said "well, I suppose it's possible you could still be fertile."
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #306 on: 23 February, 2017, 01:04:05 pm »
I bet that helped the depression.

« Reply #307 on: 23 February, 2017, 01:18:56 pm »
At the GP, discussing changing my contraception to see if it helps my depression, the GP said "well, I suppose it's possible you could still be fertile."
Did you punch them?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #308 on: 23 February, 2017, 02:22:16 pm »
Did you punch them?

A local dentist's wife discovered she was fertile when a little boy popped out.
She's 53....

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #309 on: 23 February, 2017, 02:29:09 pm »
....when you hear someone mention "The nineteen-eighties" and you think it's recent.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #310 on: 23 February, 2017, 02:42:16 pm »
Gets up to let the dog in....Two minutes later, after stepping over the dog in the other room, gets up to see if the dog wants to come in.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #311 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:16:20 pm »
....when you hear someone mention "The nineteen-eighties" and you think it's recent.

I can remember one meeting when the boss said "now we must start planning for the 90's" and everyone said "what, already?"

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #312 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »
When you clicked on this Post and wondered why you did, remembered, and now forgotten what you were going to say.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #313 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:49:08 pm »
A cold that you'd previously have worked, trained & played through has you in bed for a couple of days  :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #314 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:49:36 pm »

I can remember one meeting when the boss said "now we must start planning for the 90's" and everyone said "what, already?"

Going way back (I'm old, not middle-aged) BP ran adverts for oil supplies for central heating featuring a woman called "Mrs 1970" . . . as if that was going to be the next big thing waaaay in the future.

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #315 on: 23 February, 2017, 04:00:31 pm »

Going way back (I'm old, not middle-aged) BP ran adverts for oil supplies for central heating featuring a woman called "Mrs 1970" . . . as if that was going to be the next big thing waaaay in the future.

I still quote this one on a regular basis...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGxw8EzhlAM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/gGxw8EzhlAM&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/gGxw8EzhlAM?t=3s

fuzzy

« Reply #316 on: 23 February, 2017, 04:30:22 pm »
.... you find yourself muttering under your breath about bloody kids and their parents having no respect or control. You then realise that the parents were kids that you used to entertain at your own kids birthday parties ::-)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #317 on: 23 February, 2017, 04:35:02 pm »
Your first response to a piece of household equipment not functioning properly, even though you have no real idea how it works, is to go to your tool box rather than throwing it away and buying a replacement.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #318 on: 23 February, 2017, 04:58:00 pm »

I still quote this one on a regular basis...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGxw8EzhlAM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/gGxw8EzhlAM&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/gGxw8EzhlAM?t=3s
As soon as times got a little tough for them they junked anything to do with Solar.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #319 on: 23 February, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »
Your first response to a piece of household equipment not functioning properly, even though you have no real idea how it works, is to go to your tool box rather than throwing it away and buying a replacement.

Bonus middle-aged points for actually fixing it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #320 on: 23 February, 2017, 07:34:31 pm »
Did you punch them?
:thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #321 on: 25 February, 2017, 08:29:59 pm »
after only one beer you fall asleep during the second half of Scotland - Wales and miss the try
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #322 on: 25 February, 2017, 11:56:22 pm »
My 'kid' brother turns 40 this year.
One of his classmates was the son of one of my classmates.

I suppose I am past middle age...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #323 on: 26 February, 2017, 03:05:32 am »
after only one beer you fall asleep during the second half of Scotland - Wales and miss the try

That's funny - I didn't have a beer, dozed off at half time and woke up to see Scotland were ahead  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #324 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »
You go to a pub and check to see if the name has changed since you last went in.
Everyone's favourite windbreak