Author Topic: Engineering Connections  (Read 1112 times)

Engineering Connections
« on: 10 September, 2008, 08:57:29 am »
Did anyone watch it on National Geographic?

The first show was on the A380, hence my interest but... it ws disapointing because of the simplistic connections that were made; or rather how they were made. Saying that composite are used  as did the Mongols in their bows, I am really not sure about. Winglets have also been found on previous airframes. And, no, the A380 is not AFAIK the longest airframes either. See the A340-600 for this I'd say. It is a pity because the concept is potentially nice and gives some insight into some marvellous engineering technology. Maybe I'm biased and need to watch another show to make my mind up.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Engineering Connections
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:49:13 am »
Pop science - 'Wow it's big!' and 'Wow it's loud!' and 'Wow it's fast!'   Been done to death by Robert Llewellyn, Chris Barrie, that bloke off the Fast Show et al ::-)

By contrast, I've just heard a hero of pop science, Adam Hart-Davies, on Radio 4 with a special edition of the similarly named 'Engineering Solutions' about CERN and the LHC.  Interesting, informed and informative.

And 'Connections', with James Burke, was a monumentally brilliant piece of television.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2008, 01:48:40 pm »
It is a pity because such dedicated channels could show great engineering...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2008, 02:24:44 pm »
Yebbut 98% of the population would rather watch reality gameshow contestants trying to get off with each other.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2008, 09:06:13 am »
Yebbut 98% of the population would rather watch reality gameshow contestants trying to get off with each other.

They don't have to watch Discovery or National Geographic, do they? I bet they don't in fact!

Really Ancien

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:18:05 am »
And 'Connections', with James Burke, was a monumentally brilliant piece of television.

Not just 'Connections' as this clarion call for the diversity offered by the net in 1985 from 'The day the universe changed' shows.  What we have lost since then, of course, is the accidental encounter with such radical thought. Shows like that went out at peak time, on one of four channels and would get audiences larger than now watch the final of Big Brother. How's that for a paradox?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mB8_wPei2ZM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mB8_wPei2ZM&rel=1</a>

Damon.