Author Topic: Eoin Colfer to write new H2G2 book  (Read 1020 times)

Eoin Colfer to write new H2G2 book
« on: 17 September, 2008, 01:03:25 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7619828.stm

Well I don't know about you, but I'm deeply conflicted about this! I was chatting the other day about the genius of Douglas Adams and how I wished he'd written more books, but this absolutely wasn't what I had in mind.

Has anyone read Colfer? Can he do it, or even should he?
"My first reaction was semi-outrage that anyone should be allowed to tamper with this incredible series," he said.
I know how you feel, Eoin ... :-\
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Eoin Colfer to write new H2G2 book
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2008, 05:15:44 am »
Kids books? We've read a few, but wouldn't put them in the same category as DA.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:06:54 am »
Best not to get too worked up about these things. rather like the film adaptation, you KNOW it isn't going to be as great as you want it to be; so best to just see what they do, and don't expect too much. (Let's not forget, the later books weren't much cop anyway).

I haven't read any Artemis books, but I've only heard good about them. However, they don't seem very good evidence of an ability to write off the wall satirical SF!

I'll wait for the first reviews ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:48:45 am »
Colfer's actually quite a good writer, but an odd choice here, I feel (even if there were a need to extend the series... :-\ )
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2008, 03:15:07 pm »
After reading 'Mostly Harmless' when it came out I wasn't sure that it was all that good an idea for Adams to write any more H2G2 books, let alone anyone else.

Jakob

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2008, 04:07:11 am »
HG2G should be left alone, although I'll still buy this one when it gets out.
However, there's still plenty of life left in Dirk Gently and it would be great if someone could that series up again.
 I met Douglas Adams a couple of times and he still remains an inspiration.

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »
The Artemis Fowl books are laugh-out-loud funny; thoroughly inventive and tightly plotted....so why not? Where's the harm in it?  He can't unwrite Douglas Adams' stuff so the worst that can happen is that he'll produce something people will ignore.