Author Topic: Lead Me To The Darkside  (Read 22158 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Lead Me To The Darkside
« Reply #50 on: 22 July, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »
I've a PDQ that you are welcome to borrow for an extended loan TJ.
I keep half thinking of selling it but never quite want to make the break (I feel the same about the Brompton after it flung me off  :) ).
I have never ridden the PDQ since taking it in part exchange for my Bacchetta. It has a hub and derailleur mix for gears.

That would probably be a good idea, nobby.  A more extended period will tell me a lot more than a short test ride, even if it isn't the bike I'd ultimately be looking at (saying that, I know very little about the pdq, but it's the right kind of vehicle at least).  Not sure about the logistics of picking it up, and it's probably going to be a while before I can even think of riding it, but I'll keep you in mind.

On hub gears: I think the Shimano Alfine 11 is a good alternative to the Rohloff. I am enjoying mine.
On three wheelers: I bought my Trice after following Cycleman and seeing that while he rode a steady line uphill I was using at least as much road width with my weaving side to side on my Bacchetta.
I wouldn't want to ride my Trice in heavy traffic because of being at exhaust level. Something with a seat at the same level as a car seat and narrow enough for smaller gaps is preferable, I think.

It's good to hear people confirming my thoughts from their own experiences.  Thanks
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:40:35 pm »
If you do end up travelling to sunny wolverhampton then you could pop over and have a quick spin on my Catrike Trail - a not too laid back trike (I think from what has already been said you probably would not find this style of machine suitable, but you might find it useful to confirm that in your own mind).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:00:02 pm »
There are such good people on this forum! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »

That would probably be a good idea, nobby.  A more extended period will tell me a lot more than a short test ride, even if it isn't the bike I'd ultimately be looking at (saying that, I know very little about the pdq, but it's the right kind of vehicle at least).  Not sure about the logistics of picking it up, and it's probably going to be a while before I can even think of riding it, but I'll keep you in mind.

It's good to hear people confirming my thoughts from their own experiences.  Thanks

Are your folks still Kinver way? Pick it up when you are driving and visiting. It ought to go in the back of your car. The seat comes off easily as does front wheel.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:12:18 pm »
It won't go in the back of my car, you know.  Mainly because I don't have one ;D 

But we might be up in the autumn in a hire car.  It'd be great to see you anyway.
Getting there...

« Reply #55 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:29:51 pm »
It won't go in the back of my car, you know.  Mainly because I don't have one ;D 

But we might be up in the autumn in a hire car.  It'd be great to see you anyway.

Sounds good - both no car and Autumnal visit. I've been carless a year; driven the wife's company car three times and copped an endorsement for speeding in N. Wales. I didn't know the same rules applied in Wales!  ::-)
Being as you like fettling you can remove the crappy Kenda tyres and fit the new Big Apples for extra plushness. It'll save me a job  :)
Also, I hereby give permission for you to fiddle with all other bits and pieces of PDQ to your heart's content.

That bloke who makes baskets and lives in Holland and moans about UK cycle paths (David someone?) has some good/interesting archived bits about his PDQ exploits. If you can't find them I'll search and send the link. It was his writings that made me decide to take it in part ex.

See ya

Si

« Reply #56 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:49:32 pm »
saying that, I know very little about the pdq

As my first 'bent I'm finding it very nice.

Certainly not fast (but that's probably me).  But able to take luggage and not as laid out as some so gives a bit more confidence when you start.  However, comfort was a bid off until I put big apples on, and the real problem with the pdq is the mesh seat - the tubes at the sides make it difficult to get much foot down onto the floor....if it's wet you can find your toes slipping a bit.

However, I soon got up and running on mine - maybe spent 30mins on an area of grass sussing out the balance and getting everything in the right place before I took to the public highway.

« Reply #57 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:28:31 am »

That bloke who makes baskets and lives in Holland and moans about UK cycle paths (David someone?) has some good/interesting archived bits about his PDQ exploits. If you can't find them I'll search and send the link. It was his writings that made me decide to take it in part ex.

See ya

David Hembrow:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-olympic-flame-whats-all-that-about.106614/#post-1944423
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #58 on: 23 July, 2012, 12:06:34 pm »
All the discussion of the difficulties of trikes on commutes is fair but it does occur to me that Clarion's original injury (being thrown off due to tramlining on a drain) would not happen on a recumbent trike. I have not fallen off. Ever. Not in 31,000 miles in four years.

I suppose I could fall off by disappearing into a ditch (like Kim does!) but have not yet done this and hope to avoid it!

Inspection covers, potholes (unless they are canyons), slippery paint, diesel, ice, snow and more won't cause me to have a spill. Worth thinking about really - a very significant advantage of a three-wheeler over a two-wheeler.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #59 on: 23 July, 2012, 12:30:50 pm »

Commuting - I do it every day through the centre of town. I used to reckon an accident a year on upright and since I went recumbent in 2006 I have been accident free and much, much faster.  You will however discover that Holland Park is an alp.

'ere Tigerrrr - are you the recumbent I occasionally see on that very alp or thereabouts (Uxbridge Road etc)? I'm going the other way, faster.
That woudl be me - but your speed is an illusion caused by my approach speed being so fast. Actually I am going faster!
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 23 July, 2012, 12:48:48 pm »
All the discussion of the difficulties of trikes on commutes is fair but it does occur to me that Clarion's original injury (being thrown off due to tramlining on a drain) would not happen on a recumbent trike. I have not fallen off. Ever. Not in 31,000 miles in four years.

Indeed, barakta - whose hands are her primary communication method and are considerably more fragile than most people's - doesn't bother wearing mitts on hers (other than for warmth): She's found that a wet hand isn't a problem with the grip shifter, and decided that the probability of injury is remote enough not to bother.

She's clipped kerbs/bollards a few times, but that's never resulted in anything more serious than need for some mirror/mudguard adjustment.

Realistically, to come off you'd need to overcook a corner at speeds in excess of R17, be hit by another vehicle, or indeed ride into a ditch.  Even endoing it (which I've done a couple of times while balancing the brakes) is reasonably safe.

If nothing else, a trike might be a good option while recovering from your injuries...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #61 on: 23 July, 2012, 12:50:40 pm »
I have not fallen off. Ever. Not in 31,000 miles in four years.

I have - but I had to try really really hard.

I think the extra difficulty in traffic on a trike is largely perception. The wheels on my sprint are only a few inches wider than the flat bars on my DF commuter - or, indeed my shoulders. I can and do filter on the right on the sprint - depending on the road width and oncoming traffic. Probably the main difference is filtering on the left - where you can't have nearly half the width overhanging the pavement. But I tend not to do that anyway.

« Reply #62 on: 23 July, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »
Clarion. I wonder if Cyclemagic has anything for sale that would fulfil your requirements. They are closing down at the end of the month and will need to clear some of their hundreds of bikes. Hilldodger of this parish is one of the founders, and is the one to talk to.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 23 July, 2012, 01:11:16 pm »
I think the extra difficulty in traffic on a trike is largely perception. The wheels on my sprint are only a few inches wider than the flat bars on my DF commuter - or, indeed my shoulders.

Indeed, and those few inches difference are easily the amount that a two-wheeler will wobble to maintain balance at walking speed.  As I said upthread somewhere, the width thing is mosly psychological (except when faced with anti-cyclist gates).

I'm quite risk-averse with filtering.  On an upright, it's about the handlebar width.  On the SWB two-wheeler, it's about how much wobble-room I'll need to get moving again if I have to stop.  On the trike, it's about what I can see.  Since I stopped riding the folding bike (by far the best in traffic) with any regularity I've got out of the habit of filtering.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #64 on: 23 July, 2012, 04:01:54 pm »
Clarion. I wonder if Cyclemagic has anything for sale that would fulfil your requirements. They are closing down at the end of the month and will need to clear some of their hundreds of bikes. Hilldodger of this parish is one of the founders, and is the one to talk to.

Ah that's worth bearing in mind :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #65 on: 23 July, 2012, 05:31:14 pm »

I suppose I could fall off by disappearing into a ditch (like Kim does!) but have not yet done this and hope to avoid it!

Inspection covers, potholes (unless they are canyons), slippery paint, diesel, ice, snow and more won't cause me to have a spill. Worth thinking about really - a very significant advantage of a three-wheeler over a two-wheeler.

I've had one near miss through taking a corner too fast just after first buying my QNT but I know Cycleman has rolled his. I was there one time, but looking the other way. I can attest, however, that rolling a trike results in a lot of awfully bad language.  :)
I thought Clarion was concerned about an alternative to df's if he should not be able to ride one again rather than not falling off which I think he secretly enjoys  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 23 July, 2012, 05:44:33 pm »
Makes sense.  Falling off bikes is great fun, and falling of recumbents even more so.

That's my excuse, anyway.

tonycollinet

« Reply #67 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:01:37 pm »
Rolling a trike is immense fun.....

Apart from the pain that is.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #68 on: 23 July, 2012, 11:56:59 pm »
You should try somersaulting one :facepalm:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tonycollinet

« Reply #69 on: 24 July, 2012, 06:43:22 am »
What - you mean like.. forwards? Pivoting over the chain ring?

Impressive Valiant is!

« Reply #70 on: 24 July, 2012, 11:40:39 am »
You should try somersaulting one :facepalm:

I was just behind Barbara when she rolled (her then trike which was a Catrike Pocket) she did not hit anything apart from a bump which put her steering onto full lock putting her and the trike into orbit    :facepalm:.
      She managed one and a half turns of a barrel roll (the best I have seen since Abingdon airshow |a Spitfire then ) ) and landed on her head and shoulders. Fortunately she only had abrasions to her face, a hole in one elbow and a Campagnolo chain ring imprint in her leg, it took several months for that to disappear.
       Amazingly she got straight back on my trike (a Q-NT then) and rode it home while I lugged hers, (after a trip previously in which I had a go on her Pocket it scared the life out of me and I would push it but that was the closest I ever wanted to get to it again).
       Acrobatics on a trike ? Not for me ta 
                                                                                    :) :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #71 on: 24 July, 2012, 01:44:11 pm »

Impressive Valiant is!

20mph+, someone runs across the road, slam on brand new disc brakes on brand new trike. Chainring digs into tarmac and somersaults, I am automatically unclipped when it is upside down, it bounces again due to to the spare wheels strapped to the rack and ends up the right way up. 

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #72 on: 24 July, 2012, 02:16:46 pm »

Impressive Valiant is!

20mph+, someone runs across the road, slam on brand new disc brakes on brand new trike. Chainring digs into tarmac and somersaults, I am automatically unclipped when it is upside down, it bounces again due to to the spare wheels strapped to the rack and ends up the right way up.

Wow! Video?  :D

« Reply #73 on: 24 July, 2012, 02:40:50 pm »
A persuasive argument for a chainring guard if nothing else.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #74 on: 24 July, 2012, 02:46:38 pm »
Yeah, that said, I've since learnt not to grab a handful of disc brake lol

Support Equilibrium