Author Topic: Rolled the trike  (Read 3527 times)

Rolled the trike
« on: 25 May, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »
Coming down the hill into Orsova, Rumainia.
Taking it steady as the road was twisty.
The road dropped a bit steeper around a corner, so I let the speed increase a bit.
Next thing I see is the tarmac is a set of ridges where the subsurface has collapsed.
I was able to control the trike over the bumps, but the trailer was bounced onto it's side.
Under brakes the trailer jackknifed and pulled the back of the trike around.
Once the trike was sideways, over I went ........ :P
I rolled to the right and crawled out from under the trike to the left.
My Streamer fairing and the back of the seat make a fairly good roll cage as I've only lost about a square inch of skin.
It helped that the tarmac was smooth, but I'm amazed at how little skin I've lost given how far we slid upsidedown
What hurts more is where the seat dug into my hip as the trike hit the deck.
Straightened both mudguards and the fairing, then did another 18 miles to find a hotel to rest in.

No helmets where hurt making this post ........... :P

Re: Rolled the trike
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2014, 11:09:13 pm »
Good to hear that you are ok. How is the bike? Hopefully that is your incident for the next wee while.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2014, 11:18:49 pm »
Well, you were bound to do it eventually.   ;D

Glad you're mostly okay.  Presumably if the fairing's intact everything else survived reasonably undamaged?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2014, 04:33:00 pm »
It's them Romanians, innit.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2014, 06:11:13 pm »
Ouch and he's me thinking that trikes must be very safe as you haven't got far to fall

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2014, 06:21:45 pm »
I think they still are (or at least, you have to work really hard to come off a tadpole).  It's not like a bicycle would have handled a jackknifed trailer any more gracefully.

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2014, 07:57:50 pm »
The trike is a lot better to come off than a bike due to the fact I'm sitting inside a roll cage.
I must have slid about 10 yards down the road and I've only got a few scrapes on my arm and a bruse on my hip.
I was lucky the tarmac was smooth, but still I'm amazed at how little damage I have given how I crashed.

The major damage to my rig is that I snapped two spokes and stretched a lot more on the right trailer wheel from when it bounced a few times before flipping. Most of the spokes took 2 turns to tighten the wheel back up and the rim now has a very nice wobble to it.
But I'll probably need to strip the trike down to its frame when I get home to double check I've not twisted it like I did the last I crashed.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2014, 09:04:57 am »
I think they still are (or at least, you have to work really hard to come off a tadpole).  It's not like a bicycle would have handled a jackknifed trailer any more gracefully.

Far less - my wife was in hysterics the time that happened to me and I took a dramatic dive to within inches of a canal!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »

Far less - my wife was in hysterics the time that happened to me and I took a dramatic dive to within inches of a canal!

Well yes.  That's the sort of thing that happens if you take something with more than one wheel track near a towpath...

(Someone was going to post it...)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »
Awsum wheelie! :o
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2014, 01:21:30 pm »
Not seen that pic before - it's brill!

James did a full roll in his old Trice QNT which was fun. He slightly ripped the arm of his Night Vision Jacket but the trike was fine.

I was chatting with a chap here in Germany with a Mango velomobile. He did a complete eskimo roll in it (not on purpose) which was clearly pretty scary. The VM is covered in scuffs and scratches but Oliver was OK except for bleeding knuckles (he stuck his hands above his head to protect his head). Amazingly his Versatile Roof looks relatively undamaged!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2014, 11:04:59 pm »
I've rolled my trike. They are still much safer - you have to work at it (generally) to achieve, and when you do roll them, broken bones are (IMO) much less likely to result.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2014, 04:19:16 am »
Haha glad you are ok :) I managed to somersault my trike on the first ride. I was completely unhurt as was the trike thanks to the extra wheels strapped to the rack :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »
Glad your OK. Came off a moped when I was sixteen .... the plastic jacket I was wearing melted into my arm as I slid to a halt ...

« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2014, 10:20:30 am »
First time I've seen that picture, Kim. I hope I end up looking as relaxed when I take my first spill! B-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2014, 12:44:33 pm »
First time I've seen that picture, Kim. I hope I end up looking as relaxed when I take my first spill! B-)

To be fair that was only after andrewc had asked if I was all right and told me to wait while he got his camera...