Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 844689 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6025 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:41:43 pm »

That, along with “medal”, has been around at least since the Beijing Olympics.  This is not an excuse, BTW.  Nor is the fact that Victoria Pendleton once said it.

It serves a purpose:

I came 4th in the egg and spoon race but would have won if it hadn't been for those medalling kids.

(Adds Nuncio's name to The List)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6026 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:42:02 am »
"To provision" has been around for ages, meaning "to supply with provisions". You provision a ship before it sets sail, for example.

I don't think I've seen that usage, perhaps that's more jargon than everyday language.

Yes, it's in the OED as a verb but states it's less common than the noun.

« Reply #6027 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:43:12 am »
Surely, for complete reprehensibility, that should have read : -

I came 4th in the egg and spoon race but would have podiumed if it hadn't been for those medalling kids.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6028 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:45:45 am »
The verb "must" seems to be changing its meaning. When I were young, it meant something that you didn't really have any option over doing. Now, it seems to mean something that I'd really like you to do, but know perfectly well you won't, as in every second news report lately of impassioned pleas from campaigners earnestly saying things such as:

The government must double the pensions of everyone with a Q in their surname.

Mmm...how about "you must be really tired". "Must" as a suggestion must have been around for a long time, I would have thought.

« Reply #6029 on: 25 March, 2021, 10:02:31 am »
Or even every football pundit now where the stock phrase is "he must score there" as opposed to "he really should have scored there".
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6030 on: 25 March, 2021, 10:15:09 am »
Irritating turns of speech N°531002 (or thereabouts): "go ahead".  Some technical whizz is showing you how to reconnect your furdle to your gnumpf: "and when you've got the nargle screw started in the hole, go ahead and push it through. I'll just go ahead and do that now. And now I'm going to go ahead and put the nut on the other end, so I'll just... go ahead... and do that now." And so on until the desire to go ahead and crucify the numbskull upside-down over the Falgbagdrafaffjallajøkul caldera becomes overwhelming.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6031 on: 25 March, 2021, 11:48:56 am »
Surely, for complete reprehensibility, that should have read : -

I came 4th in the egg and spoon race but would have podiumed if it hadn't been for those medalling kids.

Your nem vill also be on ze list!

Bugger, my pen's run out…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6032 on: 25 March, 2021, 03:09:08 pm »
Or even every football pundit now where the stock phrase is "he must score there" as opposed to "he really should have scored there".
TFL's exhortation at the top and bottom of every escalator that "Dogs must be carried" is worth a mention too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #6033 on: 25 March, 2021, 03:46:59 pm »
TFL's exhortation at the top and bottom of every escalator that "Dogs must be carried" is worth a mention too.
I seem to remember that features in one of the Paddington films.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6034 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:38:13 am »
Who the hell hyphenates a phrase like this? "Budgets were offset by a month generally-speaking." I wish this were an April fool but no, just a writing fool.  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #6035 on: 01 April, 2021, 03:08:55 pm »

Must is for giving orders and advice, or expressing obligation. "Dogs must be carried" is an example of giving an order. I've got nothing on the "must score there" if it's being used to refer to something that has already happened. It can only be used for present and future circumstances. Unless the commentator is watching the game on replay, is treating it as if it is happening in real time (not strictly grammatically correct, but it's a valid stylistic choice for dramatic purposes), and is exhorting the player to make a successful shot at the goal (in the sense of, "the opportunity is wide open, he must score there if we are to consider his skillset equal to his having a place on this team"), it's just weird.

It can also be used to speculate about the truth of something, but I don't think that's what's happening in the football example.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

ravenbait

« Reply #6036 on: 01 April, 2021, 03:09:31 pm »
Who the hell hyphenates a phrase like this? "Budgets were offset by a month generally-speaking." I wish this were an April fool but no, just a writing fool.  :o
There's a missing comma, as well.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Davef

« Reply #6037 on: 01 April, 2021, 03:26:30 pm »

Must is for giving orders and advice, or expressing obligation. "Dogs must be carried" is an example of giving an order. I've got nothing on the "must score there" if it's being used to refer to something that has already happened. It can only be used for present and future circumstances. Unless the commentator is watching the game on replay, is treating it as if it is happening in real time (not strictly grammatically correct, but it's a valid stylistic choice for dramatic purposes), and is exhorting the player to make a successful shot at the goal (in the sense of, "the opportunity is wide open, he must score there if we are to consider his skillset equal to his having a place on this team"), it's just weird.

It can also be used to speculate about the truth of something, but I don't think that's what's happening in the football example.

Sam
Perhaps the intent was to say that it was necessary for the player to score (in order not lose).

I don’t mind the word so I must be very tolerant.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6038 on: 01 April, 2021, 03:37:31 pm »
Yet another one of those self driving crashing cars https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-56602502
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6039 on: 01 April, 2021, 03:56:35 pm »

Sam
Good analysis there. Which makes me realise that use of this phrase only really grates when it is being deployed after the event, eg in the post-match summary.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6040 on: 01 April, 2021, 04:30:20 pm »
It can also be used to speculate about the truth of something

eg: "You must be fun at parties"

;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ravenbait

« Reply #6041 on: 01 April, 2021, 04:35:07 pm »
eg: "You must be fun at parties"

;)
:demon:

I don't go to parties because I have crippling social anxiety, as well as a weird form of synaesthesia that makes the noise feel like being in a jaccuzzi filled with rocks. That said, if someone held a party for grammar pedants to sit around with drinks and snacks to gripe about their pet hates in a mutually supportive environment before squeezing back into their respective "language is dynamic and evolving, and prescriptivism is classist and ableist" outfits, I'd be there.

Sam

citoyen

« Reply #6042 on: 01 April, 2021, 05:17:28 pm »
I don't go to parties because I have crippling social anxiety, as well as a weird form of synaesthesia that makes the noise feel like being in a jaccuzzi filled with rocks.

Yikes! That sounds like no fun at all. I don't go to parties much myself, but that's because I'm a miserable git.

That said, if someone held a party for grammar pedants to sit around with drinks and snacks to gripe about their pet hates in a mutually supportive environment before squeezing back into their respective "language is dynamic and evolving, and prescriptivism is classist and ableist" outfits, I'd be there.

:thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6043 on: 01 April, 2021, 05:48:52 pm »
Yet another one of those self driving crashing cars https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-56602502

House in collision with a car.

citoyen

« Reply #6044 on: 01 April, 2021, 05:52:57 pm »

House in collision with a car.

Was it wearing high-vis?

« Reply #6045 on: 02 April, 2021, 07:16:09 am »
Not so much grammar, but radio interviewees; when introduced, they say; "Thanks for having me".

I hear this as kissing up to the interviewer, with the thought that "if I am pleasant, they will interview me again, and I will gain credence and displace others' opinions on the matter"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6046 on: 02 April, 2021, 10:51:51 am »
Or "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to broadcast my opinion/publicise my business/etc".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6047 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:28:55 am »
Not so much grammar, but radio interviewees; when introduced, they say; "Thanks for having me".

I'd love to hear the interviewer reply "Aye, you've been had all right".

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6048 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:08:38 pm »
On a packet of chicken wings*: sans additifs ajoutés.  Without added additives, well I never.

BTW, ye punctuation mavens, should the asterisk go before or after the colon?

* yes, I know. Sad, isn't it?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6049 on: 16 April, 2021, 06:12:43 pm »
Is tautology poor grammar?

I think the asterisk precedes the colon...